A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash 5.0a crashing - Mac OS9.2 G4

Hi. I am getting regular crashes of flash, sometimes just flash crashes, sometimes it freezes, sometimes it stalls and I have to do a hard crash (not force quit).

I have flash 5.0a and most crashes occur when I am working in the timeline, selecting a frame or frames.

To counter this problem I have tested with minimal extensions, with no extensions. I have trashed the flash preferences and have reinstalled flash and flash 5.0a. I have even copied the entire flash movie and pasted it into a brand new (empty) fla. I have done virus checks on my computer and tested the hardware and software for errors (eg for bad memory).

The .fla is relatively large, 15 - 30mb because there are a lot of objects (gifs and sound). The .swf is 1.5 mb which is fine and I don't have problems exporting. One strange thing is that when I was working on this project on my G3 with OS9.0 and less memory I was not having these problems.

I have searched the MM tech notes and the web for help but have not yet found the answer.. Any ideas ?

That happens to me, so I went and got more memory. Allocate about 256 to it and see what happens. That decreased the number of crashes by 80%, but every blue moon when working on a huge fla i will get a crash when moving or clicking something in the timeline. I'm ready to jump over to MX, although i maged to cotrol my system to run very stable since a major crash. I lost a lot, but all new stuff runs better, and the new hard drive helps me if one drive quits again.

I had 350mb allocated and now have 500mb allocated with plenty left over... My next step is to allocate 750mb... though I honestly don't believe it is chewing up so much... most of the crashes are when I select a frame or frames and this is typically not memory intensive..

Cheers

I need to start proof reading my posts, I had no idea i typed that. Anyway, I doubt if more memory would help then, it 's in the program, which is bad, lets hope MX fixed the problem.

Related tangent...

I use Flash 5, too. Recently bought a used version and it won't let me publish. I can export the SWF, but can't create the index.html. "No valid HTML template available" says Flash 5.

are there other ways to publish? maybe through Dreamweaver or some other software? OR, where could I get the templates cuz it's been 10 years since I did any serious HTML coding and I'm not too keen on re-learning that.

...I only ask because I'm not seein' too many Flash 5 users.

~kt~

Student
    Flash 5 is very dead,- even the Operationsystems that were used back then with Flash 5 are dead (Win98, OS9)

If you want to know the html code just copy/ paste from any flash website by looking at the source code and replacing the filename, width and height (each of them twice).

Otherwise dreamweaver yes- it can generate the embed code as well.