dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Do you HAVE to be a student to buy the educational package?

Owned By Code
    The only reason I ask, is for someone who wants to tinker at home, and who lives in Canada *grin* it's going to cost a pretty penny, I mean I can do the trial download to get my fingers wet, but after 30 days.... I'm gonna cry i know it

Also, I can't remember your name (sorry) but where is the documentation of your IP being sent to macromedia? That's a pretty bold thing to do if it's NOT documented that's for sure... I'm sure it is, not that I'm freaked or anything, just never knew they did this kind of thing...

Anxiously awaiting......
    [Edited by Endoplasmic on 03-14-2002 at 11:59 AM]

If you're not a student you'll have to find a student or a teacher to get it for you. Otherwise it's 30 days and pay up.

Owned By Code
    *smacks forehead* I never even thought to just ask someone else!

Man I thought I was only stupid on Mondays!

Allright, I had it and now they won't let me back in because i actually signed in and there is a temp cookie out there somewhere. Oh well...

To answer your question, Endoplasmic, about where does it say they can release your IP and other info:

Also, I can't remember your name (sorry) but where is the documentation of your IP being sent to macromedia? That's a pretty bold thing to do if it's NOT documented that's for sure... I'm sure it is, not that I'm freaked or anything, just never knew they did this kind of thing...
    Simply erease your cookies if you have them enabled, and cleck on any of the register buttons around here. Then tell them you are old enough to register, and on the very next page is (it seems at least for the size and scope of the boards) a very very small agreement to be able to register to use these. The last paragraph says that they can release all personal information not just with a legal action, but simply with a compliant...

So, as macroomedia actually keeps a presence here, they have a standing complaint about anybody posting anything to do with warez.

And since you agreed with these terms and conditions when you signed up, like it or not, INT group (Which is internet.com, which is flashkit.com) can and does relase that info to MM.

Personally, I think it's a good thing, and I know that others both agree and (strongly) disagree, but that's really inmaterial. They can, and they do.

I read somewhere once that each time a person aquires a copy of a pireated piece of software, the cost to the devolping company in lost revenue is about a dime (No I cannot substaniate this, I have no idea where the article was and it was awhile ago. If you don't want to believe me, don't. I don't really care. But lets not have this discussion turn into an argument over if or how or by how much warez hurt the industry. I personally think they do, but we can agree to disagree, OK?) which is then passed on to the end (licensed) user. So you take the millions of people who steal software every year, and you suddenly have a $600 price tag on the new one... Which, coincidently, is about $200 more than, agian I think, it should be.

Hope that answers your question.

Cheers,

DS

Owned By Code
    Hey thanks for that super long reply, tres informative. I guess my question was worded wrong... What I meant was the actuall flash MX app running on your computer to transmit your IP address.

As for IP's on forums... Every single forum package has it, if your an admin, you see everyones IP, no biggie there

sorry, man, I guess I just assumed ('Never assume, it just makes an ass out of u and me...' my dad always used to say that. LOL) that this is what you meant since so many people are up in arms about the mods banning people over dumb posts... my bad

As for IP's... what do you mean? MX actually sends your ip when you download, when you create, or when it's played. Honestly I havn't looked into this at all, don't have $200 right now so why get all excited over it, but I can see some problems brewing here. For example, if it's when the movie is played, how do they tie this into the projector? If it automatily requests that info is sent, then some peoples comps will auto dial. Not a cool thing. Or does it use cookies? And then, how about the designers liability from a privacy persoective, agian, at least with a projector?

Any info or links would be great. Sometimes I can be a complete moron, so I may have gotten this all wrong, but please inform me if i did, OK?

Thanks

DS

At any rate, just about anyone can get the educational version but you cannot use it for commercial work (work you get paid for)

Hi

I read somewhere that in order to get FlashMX for educational purposes you have to be in full time education (teacher/student) and you have to live in the US.

If this is true cos I live in the UK and if it is then it means I have to pay out $499, which I dont really have

So, does anyone know if it is still possible for me to get the student copy even tho Im in the UK?

Thanks

Luke

FK Official Postman
    In ordered flash 5 educational when it came out. I gave MM my student ID number, they verified it's validity, and I was shipped a boxed edu version of fl5. In addition, no, when you run flash, your IP will not be logged. The IP logging is to enable MM to detect if youre at an edu computer to let you purcahes without turning info over, or at a home or work pc...

kb where are u from?