A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OHHH MY GOD did you see this?

Could someone explain to me WHAT in the world is this?

Sorenson Squeeze for Macromedia Flash MX

This is the video compressor that Flash MX is going to get, but i think you could buy a much better one, and install it.

Oh my god could it be?????????????????

check the url:http://www.sorenson.com/index.asp

Flash MX comes with Sorensen Spark. Sorensen Squeeze is an additional program, which includes the Sorensen Spark PRO codec, adds additional controls, allows batch encoding, and has higher quality 2-Pass VBR encoding.

You only need that if you're doing SERIOUS video-in-Flash. yanno, professional level.

A lot of this is covered in the Wildform Flix forum.

Originally posted by azzyt
    Flash MX comes with Sorensen Spark. Sorensen Squeeze is an additional program, which includes the Sorensen Spark PRO codec, adds additional controls, allows batch encoding, and has higher quality 2-Pass VBR encoding.

You only need that if you're doing SERIOUS video-in-Flash. yanno, professional level.

Well it would need to be wouldn't it because ASF's - I should imagine and can't possibly say - explode in size.

Any ideas of compression rates and what about lipsynch? From the stuff I've seen different formats "squeezed" produce different synch rates wuith the audio?

Originally posted by azzyt

yes but its supposed to compress better the vide?

Originally posted by leonardourich
    yes but its supposed to compress better the vide? [/B]
    That's what they claim on the site. I don't know anything more about it than that.

yeahhh but

what's this new FLV file output

Smile Sorenson

Sorenson Compression is the best there is when it comes to knocking down the file size yet maintaining the video/audio quality. If you go to quicktime.com all the trailers are compressed with Sorenson. I have the squeeze beta for Sorenson it came with my Sorenson codec and it's very very nice. I compressed a 2.8 gig video into 15 megs with little loss! I'm sure the Spark Pro codec will be very very nice!
    I'm looking forward to it and the new FlashMX. Hummmmm wonder if I stay up until midnight.... lol

Re: Sorenson

Originally posted by creativepointe
    Sorenson Compression is the best there is when it comes to knocking down the file size yet maintaining the video/audio quality. If you go to quicktime.com all the trailers are compressed with Sorenson. I have the squeeze beta for Sorenson it came with my Sorenson codec and it's very very nice. I compressed a 2.8 gig video into 15 megs with little loss! I'm sure the Spark Pro codec will be very very nice!
    I'm looking forward to it and the new FlashMX. Hummmmm wonder if I stay up until midnight.... lol
    OK - get the picture and it sounds great - what were the source files you were using though?

I'm asking about ASF/WMV files...what's the compression like with them.

I know you can go the ASF to AVI to QT route but what about direct from ASF?

Wink No way

I just can't believe that Creativepointe. Were you compressing it to a smaller resolution? What your talking about is a 99% compression. That can't be possible. (is it?)

Leonardourich,

I don't know for sure but I'm guessing the FLV file format is like .asf, .mov, .avi etc. It's a new format for video. Would everyone else agree?

Smile Sorenson

The original file was 720x486 fully uncompressed. The final file was 320x240 compressed with Sorenson in Squeeze.

Wink Got it!

Whew! I thought I was going crazy. That's still pretty impressive. So will this Pro version compress the video more?

one thing

xqsme

Creativepointe

is you url: [url]http://www.Creativepointe.com ?

just asking: did you post a similar page intro in FLASHKIT sometime ago?
    [Edited by leonardourich on 03-14-2002 at 06:57 PM]

Re: Got it!

Originally posted by next2heaven
    Whew! I thought I was going crazy. That's still pretty impressive. So will this Pro version compress the video more?
    Im not sure if it makes a smaller file size, but the quality will be better because of the 2 pass Variable Bit Rate (VBR)which means it will scan it twice. I have the squeeze beta right now and I can say that the quicktime encoding is sweet!!

I imported a 1KB ASF or WMV, can't rem. which and set the settings to high quality etc etc, the published file was 5 megs in size. Mind you, this video clip was at least 2-3 minutes long though.

Originally posted by JT122333
    I imported a 1KB ASF or WMV, can't rem. which and set the settings to high quality etc etc, the published file was 5 megs in size. Mind you, this video clip was at least 2-3 minutes long though.
    Did you mean 1MB?

ASF is just a WMV with a different suffix (or almost).

So it does bloat files - probably only oggd for very short promos then...

Nope, I mean 1KB, actual size is 549 bytes and it is an asf file. I simply imported it into MX, then published and the resulting file was 5MB

caithness massiv
    the squeeze is SOOOOO much better than the spark

and it allows you to utilize the loadMovie command more efficiently because you're not embedding the movie directly into the .swf

i saw a demo on it thursday and was pretty impressed

STILL... it's video on the web so there's some bad things... namely the audio sync

Originally posted by agent vivid
    the squeeze is SOOOOO much better than the spark

and it allows you to utilize the loadMovie command more efficiently because you're not embedding the movie directly into the .swf

i saw a demo on it thursday and was pretty impressed

STILL... it's video on the web so there's some bad things... namely the audio sync
    Convert the ASF to AVI then/ or straight to QT then the sync seems much better - but the file size still bloats.

Looks like the squeeze is the thing to go for then...

Originally posted by agent vivid
    and bad sync is v. irritating and not worth the effort unless the sound is not lipsynched but off camera...

Get Squared Away.

Re: yeahhh but

Originally posted by leonardourich
    what's this new FLV file output

FLV is a video file format for Flash movies. An FLV
    file is a video component that you can import into a flash
    document (FLA), which is then exported to a Flash movie
    (SWF).