A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Resolved] FLASH 6 Player - SLOWER ANIMATION (part 3)

This is PART 3 of my original thread: "Flash Player 6 - SLOWER ANIMATION".

The last thread seemed to go waaaaaaaay off on a tangent at the end of page 2, which is fine, but I wanted to at least sum up the last 2 threads here, because this issue is still really bothering me.

TO SUM UP:

The Flash 6 Player (activeX control) for Internet Explorer is running movies 5-7 fps slower than the Flash 5 player. This difference in speed only happens in IE (Opera was always slow...)

This is a serious problem which you can see for yourself by checking out the test swf file I posted. It's at:

http://www.kneeandshoulder.md/test.zip

This swf file in the ZIP archive contains Colin Moock's FPS Speedometer to measure the frames per second of the movie. Run this in the Flash 6 Standalone player and then in Internet Explorer (with Flash 6 player installed). Note the difference in speed of the two. The movie is set to run at 30 fps, but typically we are seeing it running at 24-26 fps in Internet Explorer, which creates a noticeable slowdown.

I sent a bug report to Macromedia. Thanks to whomever gave me the link. Who knows if MM will do anything about this. I have yet to be contacted.

Thank you to all the people who checked out the test file. It was nice to hear that others were getting the same results and that I wasn't going crazy.

Let us all cross our fingers and hope that Macromedia can do something about this problem. For a browser that has the majority of coverage, Internet Explorer needs to work properly with Flash 6. Macromedia -- are you listening??
    Hello?

Sigh...

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    Originally posted by jgordon
    I sent a bug report to Macromedia. Thanks to whomever gave me the link
    no problem...

In case anyone is interested, I have downloaded the just-released Flash 6 Player from Macromedia's website. It is version 6,0,23,0 and what I had before was 6,0,4,0.

Unfortunately, this release version shows exactly the same drop in fps as the older Flash 6 player and so it appears MM hasn't fixed this problem in Internet Explorer. I can only hope that they'll read my bug report.

Meanwhile, I'm not certain of any workaround for this, except of course, making 2 versions of my swfs. Now that's annoying.

Sigh again...

Im sorry, but how will making 2 versions of your swf help?

Actually, I got 30 fps in explorer..

Win98, 1Ghz, dled flash 6 1 hour ago..

I have no idea if Win98 uses activex and etc etc, I usually use mac..

So.. was the result I got strange? or normal?

tonypa --

I thought I could make one swf run at like 35 fps so that it would fall to where it should @ 30fps in Internet Explorer. Then, for the other browswers, I could make an swf that ran at normal speed. I don't want to have to do this though. What a pain...

TheForcer --

Thanks for trying out the test.swf file. You results are different than others, although there are a few with similar experiences.

I just tested that test.swf movie on my girlfriend's laptop. She had Windows 2000 with IE 6. I tried it first before upgrading to FLash 6 (using Flash 5 player in IE) and the movie ran at 30+ fps. Then I downloaded the Flash 6 player from MM and now it runs at 24 fps. This is sooooo irritating.

I haven't tried it in Windows 98 yet but where I work, we have several Win98 Second Edition computers with Flash 5. I am going to run the same test there and post my results later today.

Macromedia....where are you?

using the standalone player was always faster than displaying the swf in a browser,this is no bug and especially not of flash 6 (mx).The flash6 player is better than the one for flash5 and the new scripting possiblities allow to script most things to run better (faster) than on flash5.The only real problem with playback speed differenece was always pc compared to mac and this has been tweaked too.(mac playback is now almost as fast as pc).You have to decide first if you want the swf to be run with the standalone player or in a browser and set the speed depending on that.

Brian Monnone
    I can see how this would be a problem though. I develop for web and standalones...many of my projects are made as both web version and standalone versions for the same peice. This is concerning....BUT if this was the case with 5, then I won't notice the difference in MX, I hope. I just bought it so we'll see what happens.

- Sigma

I was hoping to revive this thread to see whether there have been any fixes.

i'm experiencing the same problem. you can read about my problem here.