A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: change the size of editbox

Hybrid View

Can I do this or not?

I want to change the size of an editbox via javascript

I tried changing scale, and it works in the code i.e. if you debug editbox.scale

you see new values but nothing actually happens to the box

Tried changing the bounds but that didn't work either.

I really need to be able to do this!

Hello Bret,

I haven't been able to do this either. I tried using the .width property ... what? What do you mean you don't know about this property? Yes, that's right it's another undocumented property.

I think we need to find out from Insane what the deal is here. I can use this property to set the width and even get the width of an edit box in the preview 'mode' but once exported and viewed in a browser it doesn't work??!??!??

There's quite a number of these useful little tidbits but they're not working in the browser. I have version 5 of Flash Player installed and am wondering now if there is another version that I should be downloading to get these features to work? But, this would also mean that people viewing my pages would also have to download the latest version if there is one.

...or, is it that I'm using and finding features that are still being developed?

Dkerr??? If you're listening, could you shed some light on this?

Cheers,
    Ed

Smile Solution

Originally posted by blanius
    Can I do this or not?

I want to change the size of an editbox via javascript

I tried changing scale, and it works in the code i.e. if you debug editbox.scale

you see new values but nothing actually happens to the box
    Tried changing the bounds but that didn't work either.
    I really need to be able to do this!
    Bret, I think that I found a solution to change to the size of edit box
    Please it tries this.
    //** CHANGE OF SIZE **
    BX=element("Box")//Your EditBox
    BX.width=200
    BX.height=300
    BX.resize()
    BX.redraw()

Both methods are due to use, resize() and redraw(), if it lacks some of them doesn't work

Please tell me if it works for You

Cheers!
    Joseph

Re: Solution

Originally posted by MrJoseph
    Please it tries this.
    //** CHANGE OF SIZE **
    BX.width=200
    BX.height=300
    BX.resize()
    BX.redraw()

Both methods are due to use, resize() and redraw(), if it lacks some of them doesn't work

Cheers!
    Joseph

I was sure I tried this, will look again. Maybe I didn't use the width and heigth, did you try this on export, some of these little methods work only in editor

Re: Re: Solution

Originally posted by blanius
    Originally posted by MrJoseph
    Please it tries this.
    //** CHANGE OF SIZE **
    BX.width=200
    BX.height=300
    BX.resize()
    BX.redraw()

Cheers!
    Joseph

No did not work, as a matter of fact fooling around with these methods finally crashed 3dfa

I was sure I tried this, will look again. Maybe I didn't use the width and heigth, did you try this on export, some of these little methods work only in editor

okay - there's kind of good news and bad news on this one.

bad news first: it wont work in a browser. Again (i know - you've heard it before) its a limitation of the plugin. Fraid we can't do much about it, until we're as big as MM, and have our own plugin!

good news is: 3DFA can do it in its environment. If you place the editbox in a layer or a movie, then scale the layer or movie, its fine. This means as soon as a Flash player is available that can manage the feat, we'll be ready for it to work immediately.

note for interest: The '3D Array' example in the samples menu was originally built with angled / perspective editboxes but had to be changed to straight ones because the plugin wouldn't translate it.

Realise it doesn't help much, guys - sorry.

btw - object.width and object.height dont work as direct properties.

as a general rule - if its not mentioned in the help file, it doesn't exist - yet.

Regards

clarification

Originally posted by dkerr
    okay - there's kind of good news and bad news on this one.

bad news first: it wont work in a browser. Again (i know - you've heard it before) its a limitation of the plugin. Fraid we can't do much about it, until we're as big as MM, and have our own plugin!

good news is: 3DFA can do it in its environment. If you place the editbox in a layer or a movie, then scale the layer or movie, its fine. This means as soon as a Flash player is available that can manage the feat, we'll be ready for it to work immediately.

note for interest: The '3D Array' example in the samples menu was originally built with angled / perspective editboxes but had to be changed to straight ones because the plugin wouldn't translate it.

Realise it doesn't help much, guys - sorry.

btw - object.width and object.height dont work as direct properties.

as a general rule - if its not mentioned in the help file, it doesn't exist - yet.

Regards
    Let me clarify why I'm even attempting this, Since scaling of the edit box is not my main goal but is a work around to another problem.

What I really need to do is have an editbox that scrolls, Now I don't mean just moving the layer or editbox as we've done at into3dfa site but a editbox that can contain dynamic content and be scrolled.

When I could not find a method for this I tried scaling the editbox to the size of the data it contained and then make my own scroll bar and move the layer up and down behind a mask to emulate this.

got it. I'll get the team onto thinking about this one.

Thanks