dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash 5 VS Flash MX

What is the diference between Flash 5/6 and Flash MX?
    Why should I buy Flash MX?

Greetings Denjor

uh, hello, have you been dead these couple of days? Everyones been talking bout the new features and better UI. Get the trial now if you want to see the difference. The link is somewhere around here.

There is no comparision
    the leap from f5 to fmx is like from f1 to f5!!! There are a LOT of new features!

If I just a weak ago looked impressed to some flash5 creation I cant wait to see some fmx's!!!

I HATE the flash mx timeline.. and that you cant change it to flash 5 mode..

I really want the flash 5 panels back! and theres no way to actually switch back to the old interface :-(

Brian Monnone
    If there is one feature that Flash MX has that 5 lacked is VIDEO! It has the ability to import MANY video formats. You can manipulate the video on a small scale too. The only thing that sux about it is that it cannot import the sound track to the video. Other than that there have been sooo many new improvments that the list is too long to type...example...TONS of new functions...check em out, get it..worth it!

- Sigma

Originally posted by Sigma
    If there is one feature that Flash MX has that 5 lacked is VIDEO! It has the ability to import MANY video formats. You can manipulate the video on a small scale too. The only thing that sux about it is that it cannot import the sound track to the video. Other than that there have been sooo many new improvments that the list is too long to type...example...TONS of new functions...check em out, get it..worth it!

- Sigma
    What do you mean you cannot import the sound track... you most certainly can. Flash MX may not have that capability all on its own but there are pleanty of other programs that you could get the ound out of a movie with. Then you just make that an mp3 or a wav and BAM. You have your sound track.

The video is awesome!! A 5.3 meg QT video was compressed to 300KB using Flash MX, damn!!

Brian Monnone
    Originally posted by JHarlequin
    What do you mean you cannot import the sound track... you most certainly can. Flash MX may not have that capability all on its own but there are pleanty of other programs that you could get the ound out of a movie with. Then you just make that an mp3 or a wav and BAM. You have your sound track.
    Oh I know you can do that....I was trying not too get too complicated with my posts....but yes, you are correct, the video can be pulled apart from the audio in any NLE and imported in separetly then resynced...

JHarlequin - get the Sorenson Squeeze compressor and watch the file size go down even MORE!! http://www.sorenson.com

- Sigma

noodle baker
    Originally posted by pbleper
    I HATE the flash mx timeline.. and that you cant change it to flash 5 mode..

I really want the flash 5 panels back! and theres no way to actually switch back to the old interface :-(
    I agree...they may have made it easier for programmers, but for designers it really sux...I want flash 5 timeline back too!!! (((

Brian Monnone
    HA!! You guys/gals know whats funny about the timeline..This timeline resembles Flash 4, which I personally liked better when F5 came out...I got used to F5 and it seems wierd to "goto back" to F4 timeline (or at least similar!)

As far as the panel thing...my best guess would be that Adobe freaked out when they saw that Macromedia had "stolen" their panel design. I can bet you that the new panels are a result of that!

We just have to get over it because the F5 panels are not coming back!! Sucks, I know...I liked the F5 panels better, less space!

- Sigma

Oh I already got Squeeze. I am all over it. I am trying to get it to bend to my will at this very moment. There is an update comming out shortly and I can't wait.

Brian Monnone
    Really...hmm, I'll have to be on the lookout for that!

- Sigma

It's wierd though, because in Flash 5, they had the option to change between flash 5 and 4 timeline... why the heck didn't they include it in this version? I make loong animations, and I like the f5 timeline.. not so complicated (and strange) as that flash 4/mx one.. and you can edit the same way in it anyways. And the panels.. I found them MUCH easier and faster to use than the view now!

I'm working on a website now, and I've found another quite annoying problem.. if you have an object.. for example a filled rectangle, and you click on the fill, the colour doesn't show up in the mixer! What's with that? (same thing is with strokes)

I'd really like to see an option to change between the 4/mx and 5 timeline.. and also an option to bring the panels back! They took less space, were less confusing, and were much less of a hassle altogether! I like editing my fills/strokes/sound/fx in one place each.. not jumping between Colour Mixer to Properties, etc.

Now I'm in a small dilemma.. should I use MX and have trouble (and slower workflow) with this interface, or should I go back to Flash 5, and lose the nice feature enchancements that I've been waiting for.. :-/

I still don't understand why they couldn't include the options like they did in flash 5..

have u looked at the Quicktime video over at macromedia.com they show how to easily organize the timeline.. I like it..

Brian Monnone
    I hear ya pbleper...I'll check that video out Hellsbellboy. (which video are you talking about specifically? - link maybe?)

- Sigma
    [Edited by Sigma on 03-19-2002 at 12:47 AM]

The reason why we are seeing a lack Flash 5 style is exactly what was mantioned in an earlier post. Adobe sued Macromedia for trademark infringement over the simularities of the floating palettes. So Macromedia went ahead and changed things all around developing a new style of arranging their palettes. Personally I think it is great. i love the way everything sticks together so nicely now. It's all right there when I want it and gone with a nice click.

Hey folks what are you talking about?

The new time line is much better (btw what are the differences?

Ok, to the panes now, they are REALLY much better and organized now. I hated those in f5, they were just so much space consuming! I think there's no better way to organize so much panels! The f4-f5 leap was a nightmare for me, I was so comfortable with f4 gui, but I get used to it and now, the mx interface is so intuitive! I love it. I am sure you'll love it too! You just need time!

noodle baker
    Originally posted by Sigma
    I hear ya pbleper...I'll check that video out Hellsbellboy. (which video are you talking about specifically? - link maybe?)

- Sigma
    [Edited by Sigma on 03-19-2002 at 12:47 AM]
    link to the movies: http://macromedia.com/software/flash...ettingstarted/

New palettes

Originally posted by JHarlequin
    The reason why we are seeing a lack Flash 5 style is exactly what was mantioned in an earlier post. Adobe sued Macromedia for trademark infringement over the simularities of the floating palettes. So Macromedia went ahead and changed things all around developing a new style of arranging their palettes. Personally I think it is great. i love the way everything sticks together so nicely now. It's all right there when I want it and gone with a nice click.
    I personnaly have a small 15' screen, and I prefer to work with the new palettes too. It is much more tidy, and easier to work with if you only have a small area of work.

- lauryced

Unhappy

I hate the floating panes in PhotoShop 6. Seems like half my day is spent moving the damn things around because they are always in the way.

I think for people who are designers, the Components feature will be the biggest love in their life. Just drop them in and go.

Once we all figure out how to make custom components it will be a big jump. Kind of like ACTIONS with Photo Shop.