A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: actionscripts of externally loaded movies

When you externally load a movie like in the example:

on (release) {
    loadMovie ("bw_vertical.swf", "_root.placeMe");
    }

are the actions within the loaded movie (bw_vertical.swf) lost? My actions are not working on the loaded movie. What's the deal?
    Thanks,

Blake

Try this....

If you load your external .swf n another level you can cahnge your paths to call the level : _level3. instead of _root.
    Of course you can't see the actions work until you call that .swf from the main one (root).

I hope it can help you.

Re: Try this....

Ignoring the _parent stuff for now, what you are saying is my button action of :

on (release) {
    loadMovie ("bw_vertical.swf", "_root.placeMe");
    }

should also call the actionscript inside bw_vertical.swf? Cause it's not, and I'm not sure that do do to correct it. Here is the movie i'm trying to load. It's somewhat complicated for someone with little coding experience. Someone else wrote the inital code. I just edited for what I needed. http://www.bramdesign.com/bw_vertical.swf

Thanks,
    Blake

Originally posted by gabiel
    If you load your external .swf n another level you can cahnge your paths to call the level : _level3. instead of _root.
    Of course you can't see the actions work until you call that .swf from the main one (root).

I hope it can help you.

Re: Re: Try this....

Ps. Freeservers sucks!

Just copy and paste the url

ok

so from your main time line you call (load) the external one on level 3 (for example),
    you have to put the actions(_x) swf in the main time line of your movie and the path you have to use is :
    _level3. instead of _root.

ok ?

Re: ok

Got it!! Ok, next problem.

I got the move to load and the actions now work correctly. What if I want to be able to load multiple movies? Ex: bw_vertical.swf, bw_horizontal.swf, color_vertical.swf and color_horizontal.swf. all in the same location. I'm sticking with the _root.placeMe since it's working for the first called movie .

All of these movies have exactly the variable names. So is there a way I can to make sure each movie isn't conflicting with one another? Like unloading one before loading the next. I'm at this as you can probably tell, but I'm learning fast. Thanks for all of your help G.

B

No problem

ok if you don't need to load 2 or more movies at the same time in the same place, all you have to do is load the new swf in the same level as the one already loaded and it will erase the first one.
    isthat ok ? if you have to load multiple swf at the same time and use the var, you have to use the _parent technique.

Re: No problem

Wonderful!
    There is still one problem... Ok, so the Ascript isn't exactly the same for all 4 called movied. They vary a little based upon the number of images in the scroll viewer. I have the Ascript for each movie in a keyframe, but it always uses the actions of the first frame.

I've got it up and running if you want to take a peak http://bramdesign.com/ click on the center button.

I tried to do:
    on (release) {
    gotoAndPlay (4);
    loadMovie ("color_vertical.swf", "_root.placeMe");
    }
    to point to the specific frame with the Ascript associated with the movie, but it still pulls the Ascript from frame 1. I also tried to point to a labeled frame, but that didn't work either. Soooo close!

B

i know about that you just have to call your action on the new frame aswell and it should work fine.....
    i'll go take a look at your site.

i like

i like your site, especialy the effect with the sunglasses.

here;s a few suggestions:
    1- put a loading notice in your external swf (bytes loaded) so we know what's going on
    2- add a var this._alpha=0 (frame1)and
    if (this._alpha<100)
    this._alpha=this._alpha+2 (frame2)
    and finaly (frame3) gotoandplay 2
    in each external swf it will bring them in with a nice alpha effect (i like it when it's smooth)
    3- stop the animation on your first page when we click enter it will give you more 'stream' for the 'real' site.

Re: i like

Great suggestions. Actually, I was already planning on doing 1 and 3, but first I wanted to make sure the movies where loading ok. I had previous splash page where the face was static, but I got side tracked and never changed it back...
    Thanks for the help and suggestions. Now if I can just figure out how to load the actions properly.

Ps. sorry about the annoying popup ads. Once I get the site up and running I'm going to change hosts. For now I can't justify paying for a site that isn't up and running, especially when I'm a poor college student.

B

Originally posted by gabiel
    i like your site, especialy the effect with the sunglasses.

here;s a few suggestions:
    1- put a loading notice in your external swf (bytes loaded) so we know what's going on
    2- add a var this._alpha=0 (frame1)and
    if (this._alpha<100)
    this._alpha=this._alpha+2 (frame2)
    and finaly (frame3) gotoandplay 2
    in each external swf it will bring them in with a nice alpha effect (i like it when it's smooth)
    3- stop the animation on your first page when we click enter it will give you more 'stream' for the 'real' site.

Smile Re: Re: i like

ps. I how have one your most than you.

Re: Re: Re: i like

Now I have 2 more since I can't spell..."one more post than you"

Re: Re: Re: i like

Originally posted by BlakeR
    ps. I how have one your most than you.
    What does that mean ???

ok i get it

i understud

wonderful suggestion

Great alpha suggestion. The preloader will have to come later, as well as the static splash page. I believe it's bedtime for me. Oh so close.

Thanks for all the help,

Blake

it's all good....

glad i could help and good luck with the rest,
    see you around.

P.S. Maybe u can help me aswell, i have to find a way to attract new clients and i really don't know where to look, do you have any ideas ???
    e-mail me at: gafmedia@sympatico.ca

take care

bedtime here to (4:13 a.m.)

I went on your site and i notice you took the advice...
    a few things:
    careful with your sliding pics (color vertical) or not well placed with the arrow and the sliding.
    and you should really put a stop on your splash page when we click, it would make your 2nd anim. work faster.

Besides that it really looks smooth and nice.