A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: e mail mock up is this possible read on to find out more fo problem

Hi all

I do not know whether this is possible
    i am doing a cd-rom...one section within this i am intending to place a e mail section where the user can send e mails from.....thing is this is not goin on the web this is cd-rom based for the moment....what i want to know is is it possible to put the actionscript in anyway as i want to indicate the possibilites that this project can offer......
    Does anyone know the actionscript, source files or tutorials on this
    please help

thanks

J

Sure you could put the AS in and it would pop open their email software and it you could have it complete the To field as well as the subject and body if you wanted.

ok cheers
    as i don't know an awfullot of actionscript do you know of anygood tutorials or source files on this

cheers for that
    will try it straight away
    thanks for gettin back so quick

glad to help!

though wouldnt it be possible to send an email through flash it self, ? though when i think about it, that would be like re creating outlook in flash, but im sure its possible, using php or cgi, cause when u submit a form effectivly u are sending a email through flash

i have nearly completed this the other way
    thanks
    the method that you are talkin about? is it even more complex??????

no, when you complete a form, you are having flash pass the info to a server side script, usually cgi, php, asp , or perl, then that script is what sends the email.

Meanie, the method he is describing is more professional. But it requires you to be online and sending the correct variables to the server which needs to be running some script to handle it. It's really not extremely complicated.

im not sure if u can use script like php or cgi, without a server application , either that or the person would have to be online, if its running from a cd then it would be difficult , but im not sure, try asking th question in the backend section of this message board, them boys know what they are doing, what ur looking for is a stand alone application that will send a n email threw it self with out lauching an email application, well to my understanding tats what u want

Originally posted by JT122333
    Meanie, the method he is describing is more professional. But it requires you to be online and sending the correct variables to the server which needs to be running some script to handle it. It's really not extremely complicated.
    you meanie, just kidding. yeah what he is saying is right, u got to be online to run server side scripts.

The Flash 5 bible has a great example of this, it includes waiting for the script to process the info, then if successful, it will tell you so in the Flash movie and time/date it. If it's not successful it will tell you also. It even comes with a script to upload and use.

okay all startin to get extremely complex for me since i have never performed this sort of actionscript before.... i think i may stick to the original one....its simple enough for me to understand ....although when i intend to lauch this online....i will call back to youse .......
    thanks for all the help

by the way what do u mean by the backend section of the board i usually jsut post a new post ...although there have been a few times people have been unable to help ...would be handy to know if there was a section dedicated to the harline actionscripters out there that i could approach

cheers

thanks again
    for all the help
    both of youse

Originally posted by JT122333
    The Flash 5 bible has a great example of this, it includes waiting for the script to process the info, then if successful, it will tell you so in the Flash movie and time/date it. If it's not successful it will tell you also. It even comes with a script to upload and use.
    who is flash bible made by and d u recommend it

It is a really good book but I think if you look around there are better ones. I only recommend that one tutorial for forms in it.

http://www.theflashbible.com/

thanks man, ill check that out, u see im building a libary of my own , so im lookin for flash and web books that might be worth having.