A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flash and e-commerce

resolved

i have not yet purchased flash mx.

but i have a question, is it possible to create e-commerce (with shopping cart) sites using flash mx?

thanks.
    george

I just read something on the MM website about mySQL and Flash MX where someone was going to be building a Flash shopping cart and posting the .fla for our use.
    Here is another link that I found that talks about mySQL and Flash. I can't find the one about the .fla but it's there if you wanna look.
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...h_database.htm

MySQL to PHP to FLASH MX was my guess..

Basically I think you use PHP to talk to MySQL (PHP is SO easy! )

Then you do loadVariables in Flash to pull in the PHP code..
    though i've never tried this.. I believe that is how it works

Yes you can. You need a backend app and DB to work with like php/mysql. You could also utilize xml for item data and so forth.

Post Of course you can...

Originally posted by abcdefgeorge
    i have not yet purchased flash mx.

but i have a question, is it possible to create e-commerce (with shopping cart) sites using flash mx?

thanks.
    george
    I have developed a shopping cart that works with Authorize.net.

It uses Flash 5.0 as the front-end (much easier now with all the GUI components) and Perl 5 as the middleware.

For a shopping cart... umm, you can probably set cookies on the clients computer using fscommand/javascript. Though i would personally prefer to use a session in this case, i think this would be your best choice.

And about the shopping cart with a DB, what's the point? Everytime someone modifies their shopping cart, the DB has to be modified as well? Using Microsoft as the database engine, i think that'll be very stupid. Pick up the latest "PC Magazine", they have a very interesting article about DB's like SQL Server, Oracle, and etc.

psx = new Moderator();
    Here's one I'm working on (flash5) that is almost entirely flash. I still have some cleanup/smoothing out to do, but it works. Right now it doesn't use cookies/database but that is something I planned to add until I saw the shared object features of MX! Anyway, here it is:
    http://www.oasiscollection.com

Psx

President, save the
    New Zealand dollar foundation

so as a net consumer, where is my security with an all Flash shopping cart?
    Surely you need ssl?
    I want to get a cart up and running, but I also want to properly address security issues, it's the customers number one concern in internet transactions.

psx = new Moderator();
    Hey,
    True - use ssl. If you have any backend database connections, you should definitely use ssl, ie loadVariables("https://..."); It shouldn't be any less secure than a secure html page with a form.

Psx

President, save the

is it as simple as that?
    I noticed the site you posted didn't have a security certificate, I'm geniunely curious here, I'd love to be able to do the data processing mainly in Flash, I just always assumed it was too risky.

psx = new Moderator();
    Hey,
    The one I did should be secure. My client didn't have a certificate so as a workaround I put a frameset up at his site and then all the swf's and html on the secure server. Once he get's the cert, it should be all set.

Psx

President, save the

so pardon my ingnorance,
    but anything sent from Flash to the server (credit card #'s for example) are therefore encrypted?

I saw the security cert on that site too, right click and check properties, I guess the frameset prevents it from being displayed in the bottom right of the browser window.

thanks for your time man

Originally posted by MXAlPhA
    And about the shopping cart with a DB, what's the point? Everytime someone modifies their shopping cart, the DB has to be modified as well? Using Microsoft as the database engine, i think that'll be very stupid. Pick up the latest "PC Magazine", they have a very interesting article about DB's like SQL Server, Oracle, and etc.
    Not sure who you are replying to but when I said DB, I was referring to logging the order. Also not sure who in the world would use Microsoft as their db or even server choice for that matter

I always have used mysql or Oracle.

The main thing is if you understand a scripting language like php, perl, etc, then you can do a load with Flash as the frontend.

psx = new Moderator();
    Sonwah - Yeah I believe so. Just to make sure tho I'd set all your loadVariables to something like:

loadVariables("https://yadayada,"this","POST");

That should keep it encrypted. I imagine if you had the flash on a secure server and just used
    loadVariables(http://); it wouldn't be encrypted.

Psx

thanks

thanks for all the replies.

george

Hi,

just a silly comment... there is not just one shop on the web where the data travels to the web server via a secure link - and from that point is just transmitted to the shop owner via plain email of course the customer only sees the nice lock in the browser

Musicman

President, save the

Hey Musicman,
    is that a fact?
    so what the heck is 128 bit encryption then?

*gets more confused*

Or maybe they're added to a secure database and an email is sent to the owner telling them that thisuser signed up and then the owner would see the infromation from the database...Anyways Flash->PHP->MySQL is a good choice...nice and fast

Hi Everyone,

From what I've read Flash and Coldfusion is what most of the big sites use. I am in the process of trying to build an ecommerce site and want to use a shopping cart system build in Flash and Coldfusion, but the problem is I don't know that much about Coldfusion.

I have been surfing the web trying to find a quality pre build shopping cart system build in Coldfusion, but so far I haven't been able to find one. Does any one know of a quality Allaire or Macromedia approved coldfusion shopping cart that I can buy????

I have been looking at solutions such as http://www.miva.com but these cannot be easily used with flash.

I have ultra dev but there isn't much in the help files about how to build an ecommerce site/ shopping cart.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated,

grandmasterC