dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: flash and e-commerce

Originally posted by sonwah
    Hey Musicman,
    is that a fact?
    so what the heck is 128 bit encryption then?

*gets more confused*
    FYI (incase ya didn't no)... By 128 bit encryption, they mean that it'll take 2^128 keys (max) to find the decryption key. Whew... wow that's big!!

1 sec... i'm gonna open mathcad and see if it tells ya...

3,403,(35 zeros!!!)... eek, that's big

Now imagine 2048 (corporate/government encryption)...

WOW!! mathcad doesn't go above 10^307... yikes

P.S. Thanks for the looping controls!

jesus, i didnt know it was so fecking secure...more power to the people who have suceeded in getting into gov. computers

We are going to soon need much better encryption. The bio computers that are being developed (probably already being used in the gov't) could break current 128 encryption in a matter of seconds.. of course.. this is just what i've read.

Hi sonwah,

big sites, like amazon, run their own servers. Small sites, like Aunt Sally's tea shop, rent server space, somehow upload new products to the server and receive orders.
    When did you last use scp, sftp, or "really" secure mail?
    Chances are that credit cards are processed independently so the card details are not sent to the shop, but that's about it

Musicman

What a cool thread, it's great to see so many people with such knowledge!

I am going to thrown in my own 2 cents while I am here.

Currently a majority of e-commerce sites don't run cf as their backend. SQL, Oracle -- these are the big boys that power most e-commerce sites.

Also, creating a complete shopping cart out of flash 5 is a bad idea - at least this is what the technotes at macromedia.com say. Supposedly it's awfully easy to read the credit card information coming from a flash 5 movie that's stored locally in the flash movie as a variable.

I'm not sure why it is, if it even is, more safe now with MX's SharedObject utility to save varible information on the user's harddrive. My guess is important information on a lot of these all flash shopping carts, like credit card information, is not saved locally at all and is infact sent via the middle-man application to the server.

Anyway, while I am here I just wanted to add how EASY it is to set up and use PHP with MySql. In less then 6 hours I was creating server side data storage and retreival applications with Flash frontends. A lot of fun too!

Skex

Why Flash MX?
    We make this possible with Flash 4

We have a complete shopping system for flash,
    which is based on modules.

That means we've created a solution which
    enables designers, agencies and all other
    flashers with just a few actionscript commands
    easily to build flash e-commerce apps.
    You just have to fit the layout-template to
    your wishes, add some commands i.e. Call(addToBasket)
    and your shop runs.
    It is possible to run the shop stand alone or
    integrate it in an existing flash presentation.
    Products can be presented simple using jpg,gif,bmp,
    png,tif... images or any type of swf (interactive,
    video,3D,database driven...).

The backend is flexible. Current version (1.2) is
    asp/MS-SQL and a tranlation to php or cfm is not a
    big problem. But in the new version 2.0 released soon,
    we got a XML backend which makes it flexible for all
    kind of backend.
    The administration gives the shop owner the
    possibility to add categories, products, view stats
    and orders and all other stuff which is needed in a
    shop.

Some more of our modules which can be inlcuded
    or run standalone:

- Livecam support chat
    Using our speacial flash-cam software it is possible
    to give the customer a very personal support.

- Agent remote support
    Customer gots a question and will be connected to
    an agent (with or without livecam). Then the agent
    is able to see the current screen of the customer
    (i.e. a product) and give him via chat the answers
    to his questions.
    This can also be done in customer direction, where
    the agent push his current screen to the customer
    to show him i.e. a better product.

- Interactive email solution
    You can add the complete shop or maybe just a product,
    a voting or support chat in your customers email.
    The customer sees i.e. the new product and can order
    this direct in the email.

For more information send us an email via our website.
    http://www.major-new-media.de

Bye,
    Marc

LoadVars

Originally posted by Squareball2
    Basically I think you use PHP to talk to MySQL (PHP is SO easy! )

Then you do loadVariables in Flash to pull in the PHP code..
    though i've never tried this.. I believe that is how it works
    I've heard somewhere that now to insert PHP code you have to use the new ActionScript "LoadVars" ..easier and better

beefo

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. Thanks Naked inc. for the links. I have just bought Flash Dynamic Content Studio and read the chapter on Coldfusion. Very cool stuff! Have installed the Coldfusion Server 5 on my PC and it comes with an example of an E-commerce site which you are apparently allowed to customise for your own uses.

Is this too good to be true??

Also their seems to be a good tute on http://www.webmonkey.com.

Still its a shame Ultradev doesn't come with an ecommerce solution,

grandmasterC

Originally posted by Squareball2
    We are going to soon need much better encryption. The bio computers that are being developed (probably already being used in the gov't) could break current 128 encryption in a matter of seconds.. of course.. this is just what i've read.
    Bio computers? DNA computing? First of all, the error rate on DNA computers is WAY too big to be used at all for any calculations. Last i heard there was a 40% error rate on DNA computing (that was from 1999, it's 2k2 now). Yikes... an even miniscule error rate (like in the micro-nano-wateve range is bad). I personally don't think dna computing will kick, i personally have to go for quantum computers. Maybe cuz i prefer quantum mechanics over biological sciences.

Quantum computers will be the future, ibm already made a few that worked. Still kinda slow cause it's only running like 7 or so qubits, you need around 25 or so for it to match curent speeds. I think in a couple of decades, we'll see quantum and/or dna computers instead of silicon.

TRUTH STORY: On a quiz, my comp teacher said give an example of future computer technology. I wrote dna computing, she marked it wrong cuz she said artificial dna computing!! Wat a dumba*s, how the hell do you make artificial dna? O yah... she says comps can't calculate logarithms, hmm, say that to my calculator!!!

Do you have the open source fla for this cart? I would love to see how this thing is put together.

Originally posted by MXAlPhA
    For a shopping cart... umm, you can probably set cookies on the clients computer using fscommand/javascript. Though i would personally prefer to use a session in this case, i think this would be your best choice.

And about the shopping cart with a DB, what's the point? Everytime someone modifies their shopping cart, the DB has to be modified as well? Using Microsoft as the database engine, i think that'll be very stupid. Pick up the latest "PC Magazine", they have a very interesting article about DB's like SQL Server, Oracle, and etc.

Originally posted by vovin

Do you have the open source fla for this cart? I would love to see how this thing is put together.

Originally posted by MXAlPhA
    For a shopping cart... umm, you can probably set cookies on the clients computer using fscommand/javascript. Though i would personally prefer to use a session in this case, i think this would be your best choice.

And about the shopping cart with a DB, what's the point? Everytime someone modifies their shopping cart, the DB has to be modified as well? Using Microsoft as the database engine, i think that'll be very stupid. Pick up the latest "PC Magazine", they have a very interesting article about DB's like SQL Server, Oracle, and etc.
    Sorry... i don't have source for this. This was just my idea of how to create the shopping cart. Pretty close to what other people thought of. I was thinking of using fscommand/javascript to create a cookie on the clients computer, but other people said why not just use an ASP or PHP or whatever page and retrieve the variables (items in shopping cart from there.)

One question... how would you retrieve values from the script? Can flash parse the url? If yes, how would you do this? This is the only thing i don't understand.

Flash and server-side langauges like php talk together quite easily.

If you have a variable you are keeping on the server-side called cheese, (actually, with php it would be $cheese, since all variables in php are proceeded with $), and you want flash to use that variable all you need to do is use some actionscript to grab that variable from the .php file.

The thing I love most about these methods is that information is past back and forth between programs without screen refreshes.

Skex

flash eCommerce example

http://www.motherscustomcycles.com

built in Flash 5.0...would be even easier in MX. Its a full on dynamic eCommerce site, driven by ColdFusion and SQL.

JOE

Originally posted by skeksis
    Flash and server-side langauges like php talk together quite easily.

If you have a variable you are keeping on the server-side called cheese, (actually, with php it would be $cheese, since all variables in php are proceeded with $), and you want flash to use that variable all you need to do is use some actionscript to grab that variable from the .php file.

The thing I love most about these methods is that information is past back and forth between programs without screen refreshes.

Skex
    Like what sort of actionscript? What action or function or whatever would you use to retrieve the data? What if it would be sent using the post method? Would it work...

Can someone just like give me an open source example of this?

President, save the
    New Zealand dollar foundation

with Flash MX I'd use the loadVars object:

Code:
    myLoadvars = newLoadVars();

myLoadVars.load("http://www.myco.com/myvars.php", "POST");
    myLoadVars.onLoad = function( success )
    {
         if ( success ) {
              // do something here
         } else {
              trace("load failed");
         }
    }

Originally posted by sonwah
    with Flash MX I'd use the loadVars object:

Code:
    myLoadvars = newLoadVars();

myLoadVars.load("http://www.myco.com/myvars.php", "POST");
    myLoadVars.onLoad = function( success )
    {
         if ( success ) {
              // do something here
         } else {
              trace("load failed");
         }
    }
    O... so that's how you do it! O.. kcoo

Hi !

Well just another shopping cart made in flash. In fact the entire site is made on flash. It uses php+mysql and suports multiple currency, calculates shipping charge based on items, checks credit cards, send mail to customer and vendor plust lots of funcionalities. A hard work.

The url: htt://www.h-zero.com

Pedro González
    p_gonzalez@telefonica.net