A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sounds like Flash MX is still a beta release

Re: oh yeah

As a professional designer, I want the best solution for my client. That means a solution that works. If the solution that works is not the most modern, that's what is used.

I'm not saying we shouldn't want Flash to get better, I think that was clear in my original post. But it is your responsibility as a professional to deliver working solutions. Flash MX has been out for what, a week? Delivering a product using it is plain irresponsible (and clearly it wasn't tested, or there wouldn't have been problems. Testing includes testing for the environment it will be viewed in, not just your personal desktop).

Your client probably doesn't care what version of player they are supposed to have, all they know is you delivered something that didn't work, and now you've potentially lost their business.

There are a lot of inexperienced designers that frequent Flashkit. They need to know the proper methods of doing business. Hubris and jokes are all good, but they're not going to help some kid out of college trying to explain to some 50-year old executive why the killer app he or she was supposed to deliver doesn't work.

BTW, what's a "boo-bee" supposed to be? Am I being insulted, mistranslated, or just the victim of diabolical mispelling?

Re: Re: oh yeah

Originally posted by jspektr
    what's a "boo-bee" supposed to be?
    Well for all you wet bottomed tin-horned collage students coming up the ranks of design hood…….get out now, it’s to competitive. My advice to you is if you’re not savvy enough to filter rhetoric, *******s, humor, bad spelling or sarcasm you’re in the wrong business….I mean country.

Boo-bee is a term of endearment with a sarcastic spin….well at least that was my thinking before I wrote it..I heard it some where but basically made it up. It’s probably mi(s)spelled too…or is there really no correct spelling if you make it up?

Good points all around jspektr I’ve been commenting on everything tonight. I don’t get out much to play in the forums anymore…but MX really got my hair standing up with mix result testing.

Nice comeback.

M

Re: Re: Re: oh yeah

S'coo, I just hadn't heard "boo-bee" before, except maybe as in "boobie," which would be an extremely incompetant and stupid person. I'm American, I figured maybe you're from someplace else where it means something different.

My grandmother was Brittish, and all my family's been over there at one point or another, let me tell you, slang is very different depending on where you are. Mom still tells stories about getting detention in gradeschool for telling a Brittish teacher that Tommy had a bloody nose...

Hola Folks!

After carefully reading ALL the posts in this thread I decided to post my comment, no... I decided to post my comment after first post, but I hoped someone has my point of view and would say something similar I'm gonna tell, but nothing

First something "off topic".
    The debate turn out to be THE SAME as it was for Flash5. The flash player plug-in. MIKAIL and this is off topic in this thread. But I will tell, that you have to "sell" (convice) your clients that downloading the new f6 plug-in is crutial for their living. I think you get my point here and it'n not necesarry to get in depth. The devlopers wouldn't go for f5 from f4 because they were scared that internet users will not DL the f5 plugin. But In all new browsers releases and security updates etc the f5 was included so in short time A LOT of ppl had it. Enoguh said.

Ok, now to the TOPIC.
    First of all, like someone said before ALL APS are buggy, and mainly is not their fault but OS developers fault!!!
    Personally I haven't found bugs that prevented me of doing my job. I belive bugs can be anoying but in the other hand...
    I love NEW features, I would love to be a beta tester just to use new features (I am talking generally not only for flash). And I couldn't wait fmx to be released. An I belive 90% of you couldn't wait either.

As for spending $500 on a product that is buggy. Is not like you will spend another $200 to dl the patches!!! You will get the patches FREE! And as I said, you stil can work with it and earn big money from it. And it's totaly worth it to buy it!

We should all be tahnkfull to MM for what they did. I personally LOVE MM and I consider myself a BIG fan. I work with flash since the version 2!!! At that time not even 30% had a Flash player!!! But stil I loved it and produced some movies because I belived ppl will eventually DL the plugin!

So what am I saying! PPL stop complaining, if you've noticed some bugs, go to MM's bug report form!

btw, have I said I LOVE MM ??

And ppl, don't take it personally!
    [Edited by Damir Secki on 03-21-2002 at 02:55 AM]

We need a thread here to collect the bugs/issues

It would probably be helpful to both us and to MM to have an official "bug report" thread here that collects all of the various bugs that are reported in dozens of different posts.

Can someone start one?

thx..

I think it would be a shame if Macromedia went the way of Microsoft and began using professionals who rely on their products as beta testers.

My $.02

yes..agree..

and that's exactly what seems to be happening, the "hey if microshaft does it to everyone, so can we" attitude, also to prop up financials (#1 reason) at the expense of their credibility.

macromedia blew it.

Can we at least get an "I'm sorry, we'll release a patch asap" from them?

or just more corporate arrogance?

President, save the
    New Zealand dollar foundation

a patch to fix what exactly?

what is it thats so buggy?

hi..

All What bugs?? Read all the other threads here, 90% of them seem to be bug/incompability related.

Wouldn't it be nice to see a bunch of threads on great new innovative design work that was done with the properly working new tool.

vs. all the problems the faithful customers are having with the buggy new alpha that was sold to them as a finished product.

President, save the
    New Zealand dollar foundation

Yeah I appreciate that,
    but you must realise that over 90% of the "bugs" being posted here are from people (myself included) not going about things the right way...
    there is a bit of a learning curve associated with any new software.
    So far other than misuse I've only seen a memory loss thing, and something about one persons computer not starting the app up...
    neither of which have happened to me.
    What are you experiencing?
    (not to pick on you, but as the thread starter you seem to be leading the charge)

ok

has anyone experienced the sound going out in preview mode. I restarted MX and it came back on..a bug i guess, not to bad.

You cant slide a frame back on the timeline and leave nothing there...you must. ctrl F5 to cut it away. maby its me.

Wheres the parameter box...the old one because i cant adjust some clips i have like popup 2.1. something..im sure you guys know the one...guess its not compatable...dont know.

Thats it for now not really pushing any real code to speak of.

M

o yeah

seems like the MX plug in loading on the fly..and working painless downloading...but not really convinced it treats everyone the same. Like AOL..anybody experience that..or do they need a special plug-in. This was my main issue yesterday.

You know the whole interface is really much better when you get used to the docking bays...EXCEPT FOR THE TIMELINE.

M

Hi,

as far as I know, there were only a few hundred beta testers worldwide (but for the warez copies, and those would not generate bug reports). Now the software is released to tenthousands of developers, using more diverse equipment and probably trying to accomplish more diverse tasks than the beta test group. There somehow should be an extended (public?) beta test. I do not know whether you can report bugs from the 30 days trial, if so you could use the trial to do your personal testing.
    As to those bug threads: there was one related to multiple master fonts on the mac, and I can well imagine that out of 250 testers no single one used this feature

Musicman

good points re more users..

I agree, under all the possible configurations, many more bugs and problems are bound to surface.

What I'm hoping is that in the Future.. Macromedia will not release their products as "final" and sell for $200-$500.00 a copy when they're actually "extended beta" versions ..

Flash MX is a good product with great potential.

Sadly, the fact that it wasn't debugged properly causes too much frustration. It's not fair for people paying $ 500 to get a faulty product, you should get your money back if you want to, after all, you bought a product and you expect it to work.

Two years is enough time to get it all sorted out, and if they needed time, they should have taken more time and maybe release a public beta version. Look at the forums, and all the problems people discovered in just a few days.

I think Macromedia, has to get their team together and instead of working ofn Flash 7 or Flask XZ (whatever), to get the community a patch that would address all these issues.

I keep having the feeling, that the program was outgrown by a very intelligent and expert community and that some of you guys should be the ones developing the program. It very much seems that people developing the program itself are the less experienced Flash users out there!

If MM is reading this, take it as a wake up call. We don't need faulty products, get your act together now!
    [Edited by Dufy on 03-22-2002 at 03:20 AM]

agreed. waiting for a MM rep response

Hi - can someone from Macromedia please tell us, the design community, what steps you're planning on taking to address the issues that are being posted by everyone here?

MACR - please respond

Can someone get a response out of Macromedia to all these incompatability and bug problems?

You'd think they would care about customer service.

Uhh..

They released the 30 day trial version for a reason. IMO you should have downloaded that, and used it for atleast 10 days before you spent 200 - 500 dollars on a full version. If you bought something that expensive without testing it out first, it's your own fault if your disappointed or whatever.

my $0.02
    [Edited by StanThaFan on 03-25-2002 at 10:34 AM]