A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no dual screen support

flashing since v3
    pah... just when work gives me an extra monitor... flash MX wont undock the main stage so i can edit my movies with some extra desktop space

flashing since v3
    anyone else with dual monitors have an answer?

Yep, I'm running dual screen and it's fine. To undock the pannels you have to drag them by the stippled bit on the left, you can put them anywhere.

Tom

same here, no problems!

Senior Front End Developper
    I can undock everything else, but not the main stage !!
    It has to stay on the primary monitor

flashing since v3
    thats what i meant.... would be more conveinient n' all

dual screen works fine. you're right. you can't move the main stage..but um.........what's the point? that's where your main graphical work is...i guess i'm just used to the second screen not being top of the line and used for graphics, just for palletes...oh well...

Dual monitor support is great here, and I am not complaining about the main stage being hooked to the work area becaise it has always been thay way.

I havent complained abot it before so why start now. But then, I do not like to complain just for the sake of complaining.

Senior Front End Developper
    well you can always move the entire application into the secondary monitor and move the rest to the primary

HELP>>>ACTIONSCRIPT DICTIONARY
    Im on a mac version (if that makes a difference) and I can put my main timeline and work area on the second monitor. Is this a problem on the PC? I'll try that when I get home tonight.

Work perfectly on dual screen.

I have no problem at all. But I think the new docking method work not as good as before, or maybe I am not used to it yet

flashing since v3
    sorry people, looks like i was wrong.... the panels dont seem to dock too well.... or should i say snap too well to the top pixels of the second monitor.... and the toolbar wont snap to the left of the second monitor,(situated to the right of the first), without docking into the flash stage, like it does traditionally..... and them panels keep vanishing too.... its not perfect.... macromedia should know how real developers like to use dual monitors....

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    if you're useing the collapsable menu thingies rather than having them all seperated, with all the menu's open it has to fit on the screen or it will jump up when you go to open the panels. did that make any sense? no? okay...

HELP>>>ACTIONSCRIPT DICTIONARY
    That is a bug IMO. Sort of frustrating because I like the use of the collapsable menus but when you open them up and they all of a sudden jump up screen, and most likely offscreen for the topmost, ridiculous.

Speaking of dual monitors

Speaking of dual monitors, what are you using for a video card(s) to support two monitors. I would like to run two but I am not sure what I should use. I currently have a GeForce3. I havent seen any GeForce 3s or 4s designed for dual monitor. I once tried to add another card (PCI) in addition to my AGP but it didnt work. They say you can do that but I had no luck.

Thanks!

i know that the NEW G4 PowerMacs come with radeon 7500 (for the 800Mhz G4) or GeForce4 (for the 933 Mhz and DUAL 1Ghz model) and they both support Dual Screens. BUT however, one VGA and one ADC.... NOT 2 VGAs !!!
    There is a adapter from Dr. Bott to transform the ADC port into an VGA one. That´s great and quite cheap.

So check on the GeForce homepage if they have cards ready for Dual Monitor use other than the ones shipped with the new Macs. or buy a mac ;-) )

I don´t know if they have them for PC aswell.

Hope I have been of any help for you thestratman.

chris

For my main monitor i use an ATI Radeon 64MBDDR VIVO. secondary monitor is an Nvidia Vanta card (32mb or 16, i forget). I used to use an STB card for my second monitor back with Win 98, but it didn't work in 2000 or XP. So i had to get the Nvidia. Win9X and WinNT each have a list of compatible chipsets. Search microsoft.com for it. I tried but couldn't find it anymore. I'll look when i get home. But not any card will work. You'll probably get a code 10 error in the device manager. You could also just buy a card that supports two monitors on one card....but i like to upgrade, so having them seperate is better. also, don't pair up two ATI's...i've had driver conflictions...hence i went with an nvidia. hope that helps.

eric

Thanks for the replies!

So you use two cards for your monitors? One is AGP and the other is PCI? I do some gaming on my system as well as design work so I like to have a good card for gaming. I have a GeForce3 for that reason. Are there any cards that offer dual monitor support that are as good or better than a GeForce3?

I wouldnt mind using two cards. When I tried it before, I added a GeForce2 PCI card. I couldnt find a PCI version of a GeForce3. Windows2000 didn't like the fact that I had two GeForce cards installed. I couldnt add any drivers because both cards essentially use the same drivers. So it didnt work. I have a feeling a different brand card may work in conjunction with the GeForce3. But, maybe I am going about it wrong.

Thanks again for the advice.

My Radeon is AGP, the Nvidia is PCI. If you have a Geforce3, get something like an ATI or matrox for the secondary. The problem you have is what I didn't want. If I had two ATI cards they'd be sharing the same drivers, which would screw stuff up..same for you..best to pick a different company. BUT one that is supported (most nvidias and ati's are. other companies i don't know) as for better cards..um...i don't like cards that support two monitors because if i upgrade, i might have to go back to a card that supports one monitor..ya know? so it's kind of out of convienience that use two..and if you have the room, why not? sometimes gaming power suffers in favor of supporting two monitors. keep the geforce3 and get a cheaper second monitor card. any other q's, let me know..

eric

Thanks for the info!