A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: IDEA FOR A THREAD OR NEW FLASH MOVIES SECTION> MX TEMPLATES!

Just a thought. How about uploading templates that you've created in MX, just like the movies section, you could have different caragories and im guessing that it would most definatly help solve the designers block at most times?

I may be wrong here, but lemmie know wot you think..

ben_debnam@hotmail.com < feel free to add me to your msn messengers flashers!

ne1? does ne1 else think that a devoted fk section to FMX is a good idea? i was just using the template function as an example...

not to be cynical but your idea sounds like a place for freeloaders to get someone else to do the work for them. the point of flash is to create, and i think macromedia threw the templates option in MX for the designers personal use of reusing his/her own designs, or for design firms that have multiple persons working on a project.

Flashkit's Cheerbud LEXGRAPHICS's Avatar

WELL ....IT DEPENDS THE WAY YOU LOOK AT IT

I THINK THAT IF U USE OTHERS IDEAS INSTEAD OF LEARNING FROM THEM IS VERY WRONG BUT I THINK THIS IDEA OF POSTING UP TEMPLATES IS COOL I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT TEMPLATES ARE I HAVENT EVEN DOWNLOADED THE TRIAL VERSION WHAT A JAKASS I AM!!!! IM GETTING IT TODAY!!!!! BUT WELL AS I WAS SAYING ID THINK IT WOULD BE A GREAT SOURCE TO LEARN!!! SHARE THE WEALTH MAN! IF SOEMBODY USES IT HOWEVER HE USES IT ITS ALL IN THE DESIGNER/DEVLOPERS ETHICS AND MORALS

Don't talk in all caps.. that's unnecessary..
    Templates really aren't a great thing to learn from.. (if you REALLY want to look at other people's work then you can already do so from the flashkit movie section..) They basically give you a bunch of fields to enter your info, and the code behind it all does everything by itself.. I'm going with the other poster's opinion, that templates should be for personal use.. We don't want millions of template sites popping up everywhere do we?

I think that talking in all caps makes you sound like a 14 year old skript kiddie hax0r or something.

As far as freeloading..
    this is non-sense. This place is for helping people learn.. no one forces me to write code to help others... and I personally don't see them as free loaders..

FK Official Postman
    The best inspiration is the world around you...wethter it be the trees near your window or the soda can in your hand...

Also, look at the lash 5 movies. Not too much in the way that a standard movie is put together has changed...even with the added features.

I think the template idea is a great one. It gives newbies something to start with.

Exactly,

This is why Flash MX is so amazing.

The components and templates are superb! It's so great to not have to write a preloader every time I want to preload something. That got old fast! I hated building scroll bars. Again, it got old fast!
    I love that people are willing to share their code. I write code so I can learn.
    I wouldn't have probably ever started messing with the calendar component if it had not been for some one asking for help on how to use it. I'm all for every thing that promotes learning.

ok, fair ideas there...

i didnt intend it to be a means of cheating etc... i purely thought of it as another way of people showcasing there work. And like squareball said about sharing code. Why would people upload their movies to the Movies section if they didnt want people to have a look at their work and learn techniques..

Flash kit is all about learning along side the pros i feel. Lets keep it that way, purely for inspiration, learning, and the enjoyment of creative interactive new media

Sorry for the caps

hey I type in caps soemtimes cuz i forget to turn them off when i sign in bacause if i sign in with lowercaps it wont log me in...peace!

Freeloaders???

proxy07, be careful. You are calling a LOT of people "freeloaders" including myself. I personally think it would be a great idea to view templates created from others. It would be a great thing for me to look at a flash template and pick it apart. Not only would it give me excellent ideas, but would in the process raise my bar of knowledge for flash.
    Flash developers have formed a community between here and the macromedia newsgroups, sharing ideas, tips, tricks, and design tactics. This is one of the biggest reasons flash has developed like it has (in my opinion). It would be rediculus to figure the newbies were freeloaders by downloading pre-made templates.
    My vote is cast for the template downloads.

there is nothing wrong with viewing someone else's movie/code to *learn* from it IMO, but i see templates as more of a way to use someone else's art from the get-go and just substitute your text into their design. i think open source movies are great when the author willingly posts it and anyone can use it for either inspiration or to study the code involved, but not to completely rip it off. i would consider open source movies and templates two entirely seperate things, but after reading your post i realize i cant, because to some people theyll see templates as being open source movies (nothing wrong with that). i just dont want to see someone posting a template and other people using it without editing any graphics. i think you see where im coming from now.

I totally agree with you Proxy07

Hey its true that people might just use templates to make theyre own websites but dumb enough they would surely post it here and someone will see it and rank or heavily criticize the user and i mean its all in the users ethics man ...if they want to step to such a low level then hey too bad for them, theyre not learning! you are!!! ...cheers and peace out!!! hey i made up a dumb screensaver i thought it was cool but dumb and simple ... notice the lines or animations seem to move away but they actually dont!!!

http://www.geocities.com/lexgraphics/lines.swf

broken link

Well maybe a MX section in movies would be a good idea then?

I like this idea now.. Just like the movies section has smart clips the Mx section could have UI components?

MX section - Components
    - Templates
    - (Tutorials -> linked to FK's tutorials section?)
    - Movies -> linked to FK's movies section?)

I think it could be a useful mx educational resource. Because Mx is so powerful one person alone cannot learn the tips and tricks. People learn better by discussing what they want to achieve and interacting with others who already know the answers or learning at the same time.

Anyway just a thought
    L8r days Flashers
    Jammin-d!

Any more response, now that mx has been released for a bit?

What do people think? good idea or bad idea?

i think that a mx devoted section would be brilliant for learning all the new functions..

FK Official Postman
    Originally posted by Irfaan.com
    broken link
    Paste the link into a new window.