A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Couple of Questions

I just started using CoolMoves and was wondering how you get a animation to stay on the screen. For example if you have 3 lines of text you want to show. When I code the second line, the first line disappears.

Also, are there any websites with good tutorials? Something like the sites for PSP?

Thanks

The tutorials are comming.

See this thread for some of them:

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...threadid=27775

Super Moderator
    It is not clear to me what you are doing. It is easiest if I see the animation you are creating. Send a zip of the fun file to bob@koolmoves.com

If you are editing the text using the properties table then this is what is happening.

A text box will display the same text throughout the entire movie. If you edit the text it in one frame you have changed it in all the frames.

Try creating seperate text boxes for all of your lines of text.

When I first started using the program I ran into the same problem.

Transparency???

What I think I am really looking for is transparency.

Basically what I did was go to Libraries, Text Effects and created an effect with the word "Welcome", and click on "Add". I then go to the last frame created and do an "Append Copy of frame to end". I then go into Text Effects again, and want to create an effect with the text "To my website". I set the Y offset so it is below the other text and click on "Add". When I play the animation the first line "Welcome" disappears when the second line finishes.

Re: Transparency???

Originally posted by gmorrison
    What I think I am really looking for is transparency.

I then go to the last frame created and do an "Append Copy of frame to end". I then go into Text Effects again, and want to create an effect with the text "To my website". I set the Y offset so it is below the other text and click on "Add". When I play the animation the first line "Welcome" disappears when the second line finishes.
    You don't have to append it. In the text effects Dialog you can control on what frame the text effects starts and ends on. Make sure that your "Welcome" is in the frame that you are ending "My Website" on.

If it isn't you can still run the text effect and then add the welcome to the other frames. go to the last frame that your "welcome" was on and select it then hit edit>copy (the short cut is[cntrl-c] or [alt]e-c)

Then go to the frames with the missing "Welcome" and paste it ( [ctrl-v] or [alt]e-p) into the "Welcome" less frames.

Hope that helps.

FYI to control transparancy

Just in case;

The transparancy control is located in the color dialog which you can get to by either;

1. Selecting the shape and then hitting the paint box.

2. Double clicking a shape (brings up the shape properties box) and then double clicking the right hand corner fill color choice.

If the shape doesn't exist in the frame then its not a transparancy problem. You can check for this by clicking on the list shapes buttons and looking for your "Welcome" shape.

Great, this works

Works great. It appears that when you say "paste" it puts the info at the same coordinates as they were copied from.

Will have to work with graphics next. I will probably be back.

Thanks

It does paste them exactly in the same cordinates unless you double paste. The copy of the shape is placed down and to the right slightly when you double paste.

Fonts

>>It does paste them exactly in the same cordinates unless >>you double paste. The copy of the shape is placed down >>and to the right slightly when you double paste.

So you can use that to create a drop shadow?

It appears that some fonts work better than others. I used Garamond on one, and the spacing between the letters was really off. One time wide, one time narrow.

used for drop shadows

Yes it can be used for drop shadows.

What you will need to do is place the copy of the text behind the original text by hiting shapes> send backward.

You could even get real fancy and Scale the shadow and make it a diffrent color.

Placement of Text

Strange. I can post a reply, but I can't start a new thread, says I am not logged in.

Anyway. Is there a way to show the co-ordinates of where something is? I import a bmp and then I go to text effects and want to bring text up to the graphic. How do I tell the x,y coordinates I need?

If I understand your question right;

You use the text tool the hash is where the text will go statrting at the uper left hand corner. Since the tools are WYSWIG after the text is in you just move the text to where you want them.

If the bitmap is in frames ahead of the current frame the way to see where the bitmap will be is by going to view>Onion skinning.

Again you just move the text to where you want it.

If you are using the text effects then there is a X-Y box for cords. After you add the text effect then you can further reposition it by selecting the text and shapes and moving them.