A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Problems with importing MPEG

When I try to import a MPEG-movie, I get the message that FLashMX doesn't recognise the file and askes if he must try to import it as a Quicktime-movie. Also this doesn't work. Macromedia claims that FlashMX can import MPEG...so does anybody know what the problem is?

hmm, this works ok for me. Sorry I have no idea.

mmmm...strange...do you work on a MAC or PC? Not that it should matter...I work on a MAC.
    Hope that anybody else out there can help me...

I'm on a pc. Have you tried uninstalling MX, then reinstalling?

hmmm. i wonder if it has anything to do with the compression on the mpeg. There are hundreds of different codecs floating around, I wonder which ones flash MX supports. I know that I can not play all mpegs on windows media player.....just an angle here...anybody can confirm or refute this angle?

I haven't seen problems playing any mpegs in media player yet, unless they are not full files, but even then it sometimes works. AVI files really are the problem for me, half to 3/4 of the ones I try in media player fail. What you suggest does make sense though. There are similar issues with jpegs. They need to be 8 bit and not progressive from what I've read here.

I notice that in the tutorials, samples or lessons etc...video in FlashMX is not mentioned many times. Has anybody seen good examples of using video in Flash already on the net somewhere?
    I still have problems with importing MPEG...wonder what it could be...

It sounds to me like the codec is the problem. The big question is, where was the source created?

I just made this with an .mpeg the other day. I grabbed the mpeg off Morpheus.

http://timscollick.tripod.com/mx_test/second_shot.html

Mpeg's are a little finicky because they don't have a lot of keyframes and thus, are missing good reference points. If I were you and had to ask a client, ask for something in avi. You could also try using another utility to rip it to avi and then convert it. That's what you have to do when you get an mpeg to get into Windows Media Encoder.

Check out that dunk by the way! That French player is 7'2"!!!

FlashMX uses QuickTime to import video files on MacOS.

QuickTime has poor support for MPEG video files in general. My guess is that you are trying to import a MPEG2 file which QuickTime does not correctly support. Try to convert your file to a MPEG1 file or simply a QuickTime file with a more Mac friendly compression codec (like Sorenson3).

Tanx for your replies!
    Has anybody seen nice examples of video in a .swf yet?