I sent a proposal to a few publishers, along the same lines of what Bit-101 probably did, in early January of this year. I have delayed it greatly because of other work, but I started working on it again this past month. I think Bit-101 has provided a great service to the Flash community, and formalizing it in a book is not such a bad idea.

John's ideas kind of remind me of when I read about a mathematician named Fredrich Gauss. Gauss was probably the greatest mathematician in all of history. He contributed more to mathematics than any one person could have ever been expected to. At ten years old Gauss formalized an equation for the sum of the numbers between 1 and n. For example, the sum of all integers between 1 and 100 is 5050. His school master was a rather mean man and on a regular basis asked students to sum all the numbers between 800,000 and 8,000,000 at intervals of 1,446 (this is only an example). Gauss turned in the answer in a matter of moments.

Throughout the course of his life he set the standard for mathematical rigor and analysis. At 12 he was already predicting non-Euclidean geometry; 18, developed the method of least squares. At 19 he had solved an incredibly difficult problem of quadratic reciprocity in Number Theory, something that alluded Legendre and Euler (often coined "the most prolific mathematician of all time"). If you are wondering why the long history lesson, it is relavant in the way he published papers. During the course of his life he published barely a fraction of the papers that he had written. Many of his original papers were lost. It is hard to predict how far ahead mathematics would be right now if he had not scrutinized his own work so much, and published all his writings.

Just a thought ...