dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: need help with pen tool

hi
    ive just started to learn how to use the pen tool, but i just cant figure something out. when i make a pt and then a second pt, the pen tool draws a straight line, im fine with that, the problem is, if i make a pt and then another pt but this time i make a curve between the pts, i then go to make a third pt which i want to be a stright line coming out on some angle from the curve at pt 2, the pen tool always makes this third pt a curve as well?
    i have outlined my problem on the link below as im sure what i said above makes no sense!

http://www.transmission7.com/wap/pentool.gif

thanks anyone who can help me out

rich

Welcome to the joy of the pen tool my friend. It's a P.I.A (Pain in the... - you get what I'm saying).

I'm gonna attempt to answer this, forgive me if I fail.

Click 1 = Pt 1
    Click 2 = Pt 2 (straight line)
    Click 2 + drag = Pt 2 (curved line)

different programs will handle the next step different. if you're using Illustrator (and I think it would work in Freehand also), this is what you'd do. After you make Pt2 (which created the curved line, you click Pt2 again (dunno why but you do) and then you move to the point you want, and click to make Pt3 (straight line).

The drawing tools in flash are good but not great (which is why so many people use freehand to do their flash drawing). The only way I figured out how to do what you want IN flash, is to make your curved line. then make a NEW line, separate from the curve, the first point of this NEW line should be where you want to end the straight line, then click a second point on the end of the curve. It's a backward way of doing it, but it gets the job done - hope that helped.

--Sid.

thanx, i did look at the pen tool in illustrator and it did what i wanted it to do, the problem is im learning the pen tool so i can trace around objects to make selections in photoshop, but i cant trace around the shapes i want because of the dumb photoshop pen tool. i mean what am i to do now?
    is there a way to make selecions in ilustrator and then pull them into photoshop?

rich