A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flash MX is a waste of time!!

Been using the new Flash MX for the mac for the last 3 days and it full of bugs.
    Example 1:
    type - even on anti-alias text my text still looks jagged - in Flash 5 it did not.

load movie command - having major problems loading a movie - tried using Flash 5 files that worked perfectly fine and published them in MX - the result - it cant cope and freezes my movie.

Jumpy interface - when you move your mouse around the timeline, ballons that come up and tell you what things are jumping and flashing, layer names - type is not straight - jagged.

Windows - when loading flash mx it defaults back to its original windows every time! how annoying is that! Even when i saved my preferences!

the actions window - great looking but harder to use when locating commands.

come on macromedia give us something thats at least half decent. Am i the only one?

True... but some new features are very cool

You are right about the action menu >> it sucks bigtime >> slowing me down all the time.

but now I can dynamicly load an image into the movie at runtime >> IT'S PERFECT >> this was something on my wishlist

Some things are nice but I have seen some bugs also...

It's getting a real love-hate relationship with Flash 6.

Greetz, ocDaan

Well, I am using a PC and am not have very many problems. Except the memory leak that is absolutly related to MX. Other than that.. it's all good. Although it is sucking up a lot of my time cause i'm addicted to it

it also is causing problems with flash 5 saved files in mx, and going back working in flash 5

I'm actualy doing the first client project (money) with it (A project that was absolutly not possible bevor) and I'm happy with MX. No real problems with the tool (Only one crash at my PC and no crashes on my Mac)

Fredi

I've had a few problems with panels dissapearing at random and when multiple documents are open they also dissapear at random.

i have just spent three days doing a client project - which should have spent less time than that in flash 5.

I've allocated 500MB RAM, having 400MB spare and it is acting like a spoilt child on his first day at school and wants to go home.

MAC OS X or 9.1?

Macromedia says that the new FlashMX has been built for the new architecture of OSX, which is fairly bad working to me, but I'm running a PC, I don't have an intensive experience with MAC OSX stability. I know that the 9.1 is really bad..I had to install about 10 patches to make an AVID workstation work in the right way..................

ANYWAY:

REMEMBER THAT THE TEXT ANTIALIASSING QUALITY IS DRASTICALLY RELATED TO THE POSITIONING.
    You must try positioning the text, move it of a .1 pixel at a time.....
    ARIAL shows perfectly on x=xxx.2 and y=yyy.5 values.

For the LOADMOVIE function, check for the latest FlashPlayer.. I've had big problems with the first release of the FlashPlayer6 (which was in fact 5.6.0.0), I was still viewing Flash5 files, and having many problems, including the failed LoadMovie.
    With the new FlashPlayer6 for PC I had no problem 'till now.

Anyway, for MAC users....you must think that Flash has been developed for PC first.
    FlashPlayer5 has always been very, very bad on MAC (on an AVID workstation it would flicker worse than on a P200Mhz with 32Mb ram and a 4Mb video card).

What exactly is "memory leakage"?

Well on my WinME system with 300+ MB ram and a 1.5XP athalon I start up MX and start using it.. and slowly over the course of an hour, my ram and CPU usage go up to 100% and my system crashes. This is ONLY with Flash MX. I can run WinAMP, Photoshop, flash 5.. ICQ AIM all day and not crash but run flash MX by its self and after an hour or so I have to reboot... no free resources.

It sucks

With my text looking so bad - these were files that were created in Flash 5 that looked perfectly fine, only when they were opened up in MX did they look so bad!

I've been using the latest Mac OS 9.2.2 and it seems stable, but FLASH in general has always i beleive been catered more for the PC than the Mac. Version 5 was not that bad a programme, but when you start working in files that get big - ie: FLA files that get over 8 MB, it starts to become very unstable!

Cheers for the info on the flash player - i've been having trouble with this one for a while - load movies that when load in, seem to jump back to the desktop very briefly for a split secong. Once its done that with in the projector it never seems to happen again, until you close the projector and run it again.

Brian Monnone
    You guys know that 6.0.23.0 is out right? Maybe, just maybe it may help?? We'll see. It's really small too!

- Sigma

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    MX seems to organise resources badly.

I've just encountered a problem where deleting unused items in the library didn't reduce the fla size. When I copied everything onto a new document and saved under a different name, fla size went from 550k to about 50k!!!

It's no wonder MX is crashing if things you delete actually stay in memory!

I have to say, this is the first problem I've found (on the PC) and I'm very happy with MX overall, but this is quite a serious bug.

I'd like to know if anybody else has had this problem ( it could have been a one-off ), or would like to try to recreate it.

The file was originally flash5, but had been edited several times in MX

FLash MX has alot of bugs, and one way you can solve the system memory problem is using any program that auto clears the ram every 30 min or so. Just make sure when you publish that you turn it off or your files get corrupted.

this is also a problem that i have found in flash 5.
    On the mac version when i have a file, i delete unused items and the .fla file is still the same file size.
    i think this is a general fault with flash.

I'm using MemTurboII
    and works fine for me.

Oksey

welcome beta testers

as in my other thread, Agree this thing is buggy as heck and Should Not be Sold for $500 a pop as a final release product.

shame on you macromedia. your credibility just went down a notch or 10 with this mx rush-release-bugfest snafu.

guys...

many of the problems you have mentioned are common to Flash 5 too, just try and you will see.
    I've already experienced the non working library flush too...

pffffffffffffffffffffff

Flash MX is more then worth it. the new layout is great. the way each panel is collapsable. granted the new menu structure of the AS is a little queer, but i mean come on, with the expert view you can type your action script which is a thousand times better than using their fucntions at the left side. just type it up and dont bother with the menu's. and besides AS, i think macromedia did a superb job with MX. they probably did rush it, but there will be a patch, and all the issues that people are having will soon be fixed. so, be greatful of the new features... [dynamic load of mp3s and jpgs, FOLDERS for the timeline to keep track of your layers (one of my personal favorites), the ui components and the various other advancements and changes], and give macromedia a hand for listening to all of our requests that we wish flash five could have done for us and implementing them in mx.

Arckid - Curving the Web
    i m using P4 1.4 GHz, 128 RDRam... used mx for atleast 12 hours continuously so many times ... but no probs ... really ..