A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Flash MX is a waste of time!!

Still a Junior Member
    First the rant.

I downloaded both the mac and pc versions of the software.

Mac gripes- doesn't save my prefs and menus seem to be moved around for absolutely no reason. The new interface makes me feel about the same as when Adobe switched all the hotkeys in illustrator from 6 to 7. Otherwise the program seems to work just fine I've yet to stumble over any unexpected bugs. Personally I never believe a software company that says it would be backwards compatible with old flash files.
    PC gripes- It does not work. I opened it up started it up opened up a flash file touched a instance with the mouse and it would crash. Ill actually need to see a trial version that will open up a file before I even think about a upgrade.
    But while working with the Mac version for the last few days I have managed to make it load external files and do the library sharing stuff and it actually works. The movie mask thing is trick too. From an animation point of view this is as big of a leap as 4 to 5 it does allot of stuff that it should have done and actually seems to be "smarter" and easier to use.
    But hey I've been mislead, It does not appear to do it in a dynamic fashion. My server admin fed me so much hype over coldfusion5 and flash MX integration it will do this it will do that. Coldfusion is only mentioned in the help files as a extension name. And I see no real "integration" at all. It seems I still have to jump through the same text file hoops to work with external databases, and flash does not work with cold fusion at all unless I make it do it. And the way im doing it is based off of ASP tutorials and files that I downloaded from here.

Im not sure about the rest of you but we here operate on a budget. We bought allot a new hardware and im quite happy with my laptop and windows xp doesn't seem to be all that bad. I only had one more choice to make, CFStudio5 or flashMX. I actually had thought out a whole speech to the higher ups to get the extra mile CF5 ultradev studio and flash mx. I just can justify it. And as a matter of fact im stickin my leftover bread back in the basket and even sticking with CFStudio4.

I dunno maybe with the release of neo they will have a update for MX that lives up to the hype.

Anyone else here use coldfusion/

Running MX under Xp on a intel p3 800 with 512 of ram and no problems so far. Had Photoshop, After Effects, Poser and MX open and it didn't bug out like 5 did on me when I'm multi-tasking.

Originally posted by howco
    First the rant.

I downloaded both the mac and pc versions of the software.

Mac gripes- doesn't save my prefs and menus seem to be moved around for absolutely no reason. The new interface makes me feel about the same as when Adobe switched all the hotkeys in illustrator from 6 to 7. Otherwise the program seems to work just fine I've yet to stumble over any unexpected bugs. Personally I never believe a software company that says it would be backwards compatible with old flash files.
    /
    yep, your using a mac for web development

Still a Junior Member
    It seems Im forced to use bolth platforms. I make the pretty stuff on the mac and do the Cold fusion on the PC. Becides we dont have a PC version of photoshop. I could have justified getting PC flash but...

w w w . t h e o r y 7 . c o m nevil's Avatar

Smile forwards/backwards

well I jumped straight in with flash MX, love all the new features, should be useful later on, but like someone else said I tried to "get down to work", that is where things started getting frustrating, in fact really frustrating, i will explain.

the kind of work that I do a lot of involves scaling/cutting lines at single pixel accuracy, check out the site and you will see what I mean http://www.theory7.com anyway when trying to scale a line now instead of a single handle to drag out, you now get 3 handles and basic confusion, as you drag the handle it scales one end and the other end is pulled along with it, whats going on, am I doing something wrong?
    I just had to go back to Flash 5 in the end.

Yes there are lots of new fancy features, but the most basic tools are always the most important, why make them more difficult to use.

You could say "well don't use it then" but I will have to because clients are asking for work which takes advantages of new features, am I going to have to use both version then chop my work together?

Secondly and this is probably something I am doing wrong, please help if it is, In flash 5 lets you you have an object on the timeline the layer shows 20 frames, if you select 10 of those frames and click delete, 10 frames are deleted, simple right, in Flash MX do the same thing and the object and all frames are deleted, whats going on???

lastly this dynamic loading of jpjs/mp3's, sounds cool, but how will be control the preload status over them, for example if you have a large jpg image in an swf file that is loaded in, we can easily put a percent preloader at the beginning, what do we do in flash MX?

I hope that someone replies to this, because I really want to get on with MX!!!

cheers

nevil
    http://www.theory7.com

Re: forwards/backwards

Originally posted by nevil
    lastly this dynamic loading of jpjs/mp3's, sounds cool, but how will be control the preload status over them, for example if you have a large jpg image in an swf file that is loaded in, we can easily put a percent preloader at the beginning, what do we do in flash MX?

http://www.flashstar.de/tutlist/inde...ich=fsmxextdat

check out the example, version 2.Very nice. With Preloader.
    FLA downloadable.
    Peace.

w w w . t h e o r y 7 . c o m nevil's Avatar

Smile cheers trooper

wish I could speak german though, would help with the .fla

cheers

nevil
    http://www.theory7.com

Lightbulb subjective duality

1st Point: Mac is gay
    2nd Point: MX is gay
    3rd Point: I am gay
    4th Point: if you are gay keep posting here.
    5th Point: if you are not gay and have a life..

STOP THIS INSANITY!

Originally posted by aashu.com
    i m using P4 1.4 GHz, 128 RDRam... used mx for atleast 12 hours continuously so many times ... but no probs ... really ..

Same here, runs without any problems. Ok, I'm most time in the coding window of it, so no big things to save for the undos.

Fredi

Athlon 1600+, 256 ram, runs fine

glenhsl, you must have a very happy life

have asked my boss for an upgrade to MX on Monday - convinced after 2 days use that it was the way forward.

Have to say now that i'd rather not . Its just too unreliable.

Flash 5 rules, and MX - well it only half finished.

Better luck next time macromedia. (Try not to do this too many times - Adobe will wait on the sidelines and pounch on the oppurtunity to produce something better and we don't want that to happen do we!?)

human
    I am on a MAC with OS 9.2.1 running MX-
    No problems except.....
    Anyone have problems bolding fonts in the text box?
    Where is the TellTarget? Or did they just change the name?
    I love the option/panels locked feature!!!

Brian Monnone
    Originally posted by meredith
    Where is the TellTarget?
    That command is obsolete. Flash 5 gave you plenty of warning about it going away...this is why when something changes, you should learn the new way...

I'm just gonna say this because I'm personally tired of you guys bashing MM: stop your *****in and give the damn thing some time! I've been working in MX since day one and have had no significant problems with the program. I've been reading these posts, watching my computer stats to see this "memory leak" you guys are talking about, and nothing. FMX has never crashed on me. Someone said it in another post, can't remember who, but I'll say it here. Learn the friggin program. I would bet that 90% of these gripes are because you don't know what your doing. If there are problems with it, I'm sure MM will patch them. *****ing about it will NOT help, not this way. Get over it already!

- Sigma
    [Edited by Sigma on 03-22-2002 at 01:43 PM]

human
    Thanks for the rant...
    I was not "griping" about the program, if you read the post, you would have seen that I actually like it.
    Can anyone actually help me with the bold font issue?

Brian Monnone
    I know, that rant was not directed at you, just in general...sorry don't know about the font thing...maybe try to reinstall that font?

- Sigma

President, save the
    New Zealand dollar foundation

I second that rant Sigma.
    No problems to date at all other than getting myself used to new habits in coding.
    If it crashes your PC get a qualified technician to fix your PC.
    Don't blame it on software that works for everyone else.

I wish flash could go back to flash version 3 -- it was so much better then

FlashMX is fantastic

I don't know what happened but finally since I have FlashMX i started studying, learning and making a f_____g lot more!

I started working on a site project with Flash5 in my usual lazy way, not worrying for a probably-more-than-30K-of-actionscripting-total result.

I then downloaded FlashMX, started the project again from the beginning, after having studied a couple sample FlashMX files.
    It's 4 days+nights I'm working to finish compiling the code for it, but I'm driving THE WHOLE SITE FROM ONE SINGLE FRAME.

It's so cool, I've never been an actionscrip addicted, and often I would solve my problem nestic movieclips together to emulate professional menus, and now I'm building a dynamic one I can just throuw into anyother project and reuse!

The new features make it so much neater and simpler.
    The Movie Explorer can olmost be thrown away, it's useless now!

Brian Monnone
    Update kiddies! Today, I am working on an intro with Flash MX. While working on the intro I needed things from others programs, no surprizes there. So, I opened PhotoShop to create my flat effect...then opened After Effects to give the effect it's, well...effect. So. I'm writing to tell you guys that I had those three programs open ALL DAY, no joke, not unusual. On top of that...Outlook, Winamp, ICQ, Norton Antivirus, MotherBoard Monitor, and all the other little crap. No crash, no memory leak thing, no reboot. Nothing but good ol fashioned getting some solid work done!

And OH YEAH. After I was done working, the office played some Medal of Honor against each other...no reboot. FMX is not the culprit here....Just thought I'd give you guys that little update....AND no memory flusher thingy.

My work system:
    Athlon 1700+
    1.2G DDR ram
    Geforce 3 Ti 200
    80GIG drive
    blah blah blah...

- Sigma

FK Official Postman
    I believe the trial version has some bugs as opposed to full then? I have mem leak issues on my pc...personally, flash 5 has been all that I've needed, but mx seems pretty cool. if no mem issues under full edition...

athlon1800+, 256mb ddr, geforce2ti, etc.