dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Flash MX is a waste of time!!

Flash 5 has the same problem

Originally posted by lesli_felix
    MX seems to organise resources badly.

I've just encountered a problem where deleting unused items in the library didn't reduce the fla size. When I copied everything onto a new document and saved under a different name, fla size went from 550k to about 50k!!!

It's no wonder MX is crashing if things you delete actually stay in memory!

I have to say, this is the first problem I've found (on the PC) and I'm very happy with MX overall, but this is quite a serious bug.

I'd like to know if anybody else has had this problem ( it could have been a one-off ), or would like to try to recreate it.

The file was originally flash5, but had been edited several times in MX

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    Originally posted by rapidcarbon
    Flash 5 has the same problem
    Oh well.

I didn't actually try optimising an .fla until the other day, as I needed to send it to someone.

I would never have noticed it before.

You'd think Macromedia would fix a bug like that when they rebuilt MX.

As I said before, I'm not complaining. SWF size is far important, and they seem to have made improvements there.

Thumbs down I think flash mx rocks!

yeah it does

the only pronblem is that more people need to get the flash6 plugin! only a very small percentage has got it at the mo!

Originally posted by slinky2000
    the only pronblem is that more people need to get the flash6 plugin! only a very small percentage has got it at the mo!
    well that's true.. and it's gonna bug us for quite a time :/

w w w . t h e o r y 7 . c o m nevil's Avatar

Smile

I don't think we can call it a problem yet, the plugin has only just been released, it will filter out in time, just like the flash 5 plugin.

cheers

nevil
    http://www.theory7.com

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nevil
    [B]I don't think we can call it a problem yet, the plugin has only just been released, it will filter out in time, just like the flash 5 plugin.[QUOTE]

yeah well "problem" might be the wrong word but anyway it's gonna annoy loads of ppl in future..

Originally posted by lesli_felix
    MX seems to organise resources badly.

I've just encountered a problem where deleting unused items in the library didn't reduce the fla size. When I copied everything onto a new document and saved under a different name, fla size went from 550k to about 50k!!!

That's been going on with Flash forever.

Originally posted by Condorman
    it also is causing problems with flash 5 saved files in mx, and going back working in flash 5

you have to reimport it via mx so it be compatible

gripe gripe gripe

Oh come now you guys,
    everyone talking about macromedia and flash mx.....
    i've been using MX for two weeks now.
    1:i've had far fewer problems than in flash 5.
    2:i'm a DESIGNER, not a programming geek so i love the actionscript enhancements.
    3:For the mac users- quit griping about macromedia staying up to date and get your system up-to-date-this baby was MADE for OSX!!! it runs beautifully!! OSX manages it's own memory.
    4:for all those pc users slamming us "web developing mac users" Tried OSX lately? oh yeah, forgot....microsoft already ripped it off.

THE PROGRAM IS GREAT!
    ITS A FIRST RELEASE.
    HAVE YOU NOT BEEN WORKING WITH PUTER's LONG ENOUGH TO HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS BEFORE?
    THERE WILL BE UPDATES!!!
    SHEESH!!

BU BY

Brian Monnone
    You guys crack me up with this MAC versus PC thing. Personally, I hate MACS. They are clunky and awkward. And yes, I've worked on them. But I'm sure they are great computers for those who like them. Hell, the new G4 dual GHZ Mac system process video something like 300% faster than a 2GHZ PC. Thats impressive! Anyways...this thread is getting on my nerves with all the FMX bashing...*how do I unsubscribe to the thread again??* HA!

- Sigma

still mac or pc.. anyway the flash mx rocks hehe

Beyond the Sea
    way back in Flash 4, even 3, if I remember right, the same thing occured. If you deleted all the unused items from your library and saved, the filesize of your FLA did not go down.

The workaround has always been to "save as". The new file will correctly represent the filesize without the extra junk.

It's really not that big a deal.

I implore a mod to close this thread. Stick a fork in it, it's done...

People, Please pretty please if you dont like the app, put it down and leave it alone. MORE ROOM FOR ME!!!!

Post not bad, was hoping for more

flash mx ain't too bad, but there are a few bugs, and you need a *****-ass sized screen to fit everything on and have enough space to work in (which I don't)
    there isn't a massiv difference, it seems its just the old flash 5 with many many more proceedures/functions available, so its not worth the money they charged, even though it looks smarter. Maybe Flash MX 2 will sort out the problems of Flash MX (like Windows 98 did with windows 95), or maybe it'll just get worse (like windows ME did with windows 98)

Memory Leak

Originally posted by Squareball2
    Well on my WinME system with 300+ MB ram and a 1.5XP athalon I start up MX and start using it.. and slowly over the course of an hour, my ram and CPU usage go up to 100% and my system crashes. This is ONLY with Flash MX. I can run WinAMP, Photoshop, flash 5.. ICQ AIM all day and not crash but run flash MX by its self and after an hour or so I have to reboot... no free resources.

It sucks
    Actually, there is a documented and known issue with ME regarding a memory leak and it is probably not Flash MX. Try downloading a program called "Cacheman" from http://www.outertech.com (it's free) and when you go through the settings wizard, make sure you select the option to unload .dll's from memory. This should take care of the problem. Hope this helps,
    Take care,
    7man

Re: not bad, was hoping for more

Originally posted by jtibbles
    flash mx ain't too bad, but there are a few bugs, and you need a *****-ass sized screen to fit everything on and have enough space to work in (which I don't)
    there isn't a massiv difference
    well you can allways use make your own panel layout ait?

flash mx is amazing!

man seriously...
    i think the textbox options won me over...it is just so much more easier to use now...easier to swap...and edit from a template...
    i like it so much better than flash 5...

Originally posted by Squareball2
    Well on my WinME system with 300+ MB ram and a 1.5XP athalon I start up MX and start using it.. and slowly over the course of an hour, my ram and CPU usage go up to 100% and my system crashes. This is ONLY with Flash MX. I can run WinAMP, Photoshop, flash 5.. ICQ AIM all day and not crash but run flash MX by its self and after an hour or so I have to reboot... no free resources.

It sucks
    I've had this problem with 4, 5, and MX. "Especially" if I have MS outlook running. I was hoping that they would FINALLY fix this problem but it's still there.

gee wouldn't it be nice

If one of the macromedia reps would address all of these BUGS in this program, tell us when they're going to release all the patches needed to fix this sorry program.

Looks like my 'trial version' will be all I'll work with, til they fix it for final release. So far, I see nothing but downside with moving to MX from here, eg like going from win2K back to win98 or something..

Fix the bugs, MM, and please have the professional courtesy to apologize on this board and let us know When you're going to address all the problems with a patch asap.

Thanks.

PS I Hope MM doesn't have the corporate arrogance of Microshaft and blame us the users, eg say "you guys need to read the wonderful Help files".. Proper code design upfront would've been a better solution.
    [Edited by alohaha on 03-26-2002 at 03:21 PM]