A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I dont know why people are downsizing the new Fash MX.............

resolved

I dont understand it. First of all the new Flash MX was made purposely to run on a Mac OS X. I'm not sure if you are a top designer/developer out there but I do know that If you do not have a Mac G4 tower you definitely do not have to hardware to be a serious developer.

The new dual processor 1ghz G4 tower is 75% more faster than a PC intel P4 2gighz processor. (thats right out of the apple.com website) That only shows you that mac its self is made for people that are top level graphic designers, that are into video editing, high profiled apps that need a high profile computer. PC's are for office use if you want work at an office using MS word than get a PC.

I haven't had a single problem with the Flash MX software yet. I've been completely redeveloping my website in Flash MX to use the more powerful tools that they have included within Flash MX.

If you are having problems and you are complaining its probably because you are not a top designer/developer. if you know the program and know the what to do when some thing is wrong than you know what you are going to do. Like in this other thread this "kid" was complaining that the text was looking blurred when typing in Flash MX. And he didn't know why. His obviouse solution was to put the app of blasted complaining aboutit instead of figuring out why. Come on if you have been using Flash for years you would know that has to do with x-y placement of the text. As well as other things like font sizing and stuff. Instead of learning and developing your skills you are out to hate on something that you have absolutely no idea about.

But really before anything if you are using a PC tell you mommy's and Daddy's to sell that joint and get yourself the new dual 1ghz G4 tower. Believe me you will never go back to PC in your life. I know i wont and certainly don't plan too niether.

This is just an insight not a mac vs pc thread so please do not make it into that......thanks

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    First of all, Why are you getting information from apple.com. Companies usually exagerate how good there product is just to make it sell. I'm running Flash MX on Windows XP and haven't had any problems with it. Macs may be good for one or two things but they don't have a very many software titles available for them, Why is this? Because they Suck!

Im not ony getting this information from the apple.com website, I'm also a proud customer of thier products. What software titles are you referring to that Macs dont have on thier list.

What 3d studio max? Please thier are plenty of high quailty apps that are out there for macs. So what they dont make 3d studio max for mac but we do have Maya, and Lightwave. Which are two products alone that are better the MAX.

Its funny how all the companies are making all thier software upgrades because they want it to work on the new Mac OS X platform. Why they realize they need to do that because they realize that there is a greated demand for OS X products and thats why products like Photoshop 7, Flash MX, Maya, After Effects and i can go on and on. Come on I already said this is not a mac vs pc thread. This threa is simply to make my point across that people are downsizing the Flash MX when they have no idea what they are talking about. Such as yourself.

Still a Junior Member
    Lol Macs suck he says he must be on crack. I’ve been using both for years in a development environment. Quite frankly the PC has always been behind the Mac. Anyone who does serious graphics knows this, and it doesn’t need to be quantified.

As far as the flash goes. The only thing that I am disappointed in is that everyone keeps saying things like it can load a image dynamically it can't. As far as I can tell you still have to specify file names and such. I was really looking forward to some more cold fusion integration. It's really starting to grow on me though.

It has yet to crash on one of our osx Macs. It has crashed on a 9.2 system but hey that’s to be expected it was made to work on osx and has to use carbon lib on 9.2

The very first thing that it did on the PC was crash. But that really does not matter since we use macs for flash development because it is a much better platform.

Originally posted by howco

As far as the flash goes. The only thing that I am disappointed in is that everyone keeps saying things like it can load a image dynamically it can't. As far as I can tell you still have to specify file names and such.
    huh? of course you have to specify file names....
    flash is supposed to guess which image you want to load?

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    i'll keep a safe distance from this one. i'm just going to sit back and relax by the fire.

very wise!
    i think i'll join you.

Still a Junior Member
    As I said it was hype. I had thought that it was going to be integrated with cold fusion. And if you have ever used cold fusion, well yea you can make it guess. And it is dynamic. Having to specify an actual file name is not all that dynamic.

I'll bring the marshmellows to the fire. I am surprised this thread isn't hotter then it already is.
    Kicking it with g-solo and bit 101 by the fire.

the ability to dynamically load jpgs is not hype. it was one of the most requested features. in flash 5 you either had to use another server side ap, such as generator, or embed your jpg in another swf in order to load it in at run time. now you can just load them right in. that's awesome, not hype. you don't have to hard code the file names either. you can use variables and load file names in from xml or a list of variables or whatever.

also, there are big plans for cold fusion integration. i'm sure you won't be disappointed.

oops. going back to the fire...
    [Edited by bit-101 on 03-22-2002 at 02:57 PM]

Still a Junior Member
    Well I can still get it to do it using a text file as a go bettween and cold fusion. Dont get me wrong I am more than happy that they added the ability to load external media without generator. I just thought that loading external data would be a bit easier than the way that I am doing it now.

I guess that I will just have to wait and see what neo has in store.

Orange, Fuzzy, with spots Cakkafracle's Avatar
    what the heck could be easier...?

can you tell me of any other app or any process which doesn't require SOME sort of naming convention?

if you know of a cooler way to load new pictures than this, tell us!

Still a Junior Member
    what the heck could be easier...?

being able to use cold fusion querys from inside a flash file.

Clearly the link on the home page needs to be changed given the new insight from Joey164... No longer should it read FlashMX Help forum, it should now read....FlashMX Help forum for top designer/developer(s) running on Dual Mac G4 Towers running OS X.

This way no one else would waste valuable resources with their mindless dribble.... Now that I've wittled my stick, are there any hot dogs over there by the fire?

you can have the hot dogs. i'm hiding behind this tree!

how viscious ---

Macs Suck
    PCs suck

Amiga rules

-- but besides all that crud, Macs and pcs are neally not that different -- they both suck to varying degrees -- they both hav abominable learning curves ( from the computer illiterate standpoint ), and neither platforms really express the power they have effectivly ( my computer still can't work as fast as I can think ).

As far as Flash MX is concerned -- I am very happy with Macromedia's progress ( though I wish they would have added more IO features -- I guess they want to keep this a pure client ). And the server add ons that Macromedia will be rolling out over the next few months will probably alleviate the data accessibility issues a lot of people are having.

as far as loading dynamic text files -- it can, why don't you think it can? It can't query the server for how many or what type/names of files are in a folder, but you can do that serverside and feed the path info into Flash -- XML is great for that.

but anyway -- I wanted to through my 2 bits in. Hope to see more fighting -- I love a good flame war. By the way, you all suck and you are all worse designers than me.

if the Amiga didn't die, it would be kicking mac and pc butts all over the place right now. so true. that was a sweet machine.

Senior Front End Developper
    Mac ? That thing still around ?
    I thought they were making computer for barbies and lamp for the bedroom !

Boobies are Fun

Who cares what ****ing computer you have

Who cares what computer you have? A computer doesn't make a good designer or a good developer?
    Get over the whole PC-Mac thing you ****ing loser zealot wackoes. How old are you people? Do you still have arguments about whose daddy is cooler, too? "My daddy's cooler than your daddy!" "Nuh uh!"

Howz that for good old fashion flaming?
    [Edited by gladzooks on 03-22-2002 at 07:51 PM]

my pc is cooler than your daddy's mac!