A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I dont know why people are downsizing the new Fash MX.............

Why don't we all settle this by all getting one specific flavour and version of unix?

BTW, I have no idea about macs, but dual 1ghz and 2ghz sounds the same to me

Funny how somone that loves a mac finds MX crashes first time on a PC and vica-versa?

It's never crashed on either for me, perhaps I should try laming it a bit more.

Also, as for dynamic jpg loading, if you see the word "Xenisis" in my footer, your looking at a dynamically loaded jpg.

Will it really make a difference how many times you say somthing sucks? If you think it does, join them and help make it better until you like it, otherwise don't just complain.

I have an outdated pc, does that mean I'm not a serious developer? No it doesn't. It doesn't make me any less of a (hopeless) designer either. The client gets the end product, not a story about your computers acheivements.

Also, some people have Flash as a hobby, so it may not pay for wizz bang systems, so, are they all not serious?

Why does everything have to be judged? And why does a companys product have to be complained about? You don't like it, don't buy it. They didn't force you to use it.

Go help an old person or send some money to a poor kid, you'll probably have more fun.

President, save the
    New Zealand dollar foundation

If you are having problems and you are complaining its probably because you are not a top designer/developer.
    If you are dragging up inane age old pointless arguments like which is better - mac or PC its probably because you are not a top designer/developer.

If you even mention the fact that someome else might not be a top designer or developer its probably because you are not a top designer/developer.

Thumbs up

-Flash MX crashing on PC? If that is possible then it should've done the same to mine, and the space on my pc is nearly dead. Go figure. This thread was funny. I really perfer the pc over the mac no matter how much the mac beats the pc in graphic developement. I use swift 3d, bryce 5, 3ds studio max 4.2 and tons of macromedia programs with this 20 gb pc which is only two years old running on windows 98 fuel and 7gb left as space... I don't see my pc crashing with FMX anytime soon or for anything else. The only problem anyone would face in my situation would be the dying hard drive...

Mac v Pc..who cares? How about Flash v Director?

That's right, you heard me...Flash vs Director? With all Flash's new improvement like real video support, external file loading, and more advanced action scripting, Isn't Flash becoming a poor man's Director. Folks it's easier doing a scrolling text box in Director 7 than it was in Flash 5!

Flash is fun, but...if Director could handle Vector graphics a little bit better, would there even be the need for Flash? And what's this crap about 'native' video support? Looks to me that Flash just integrated the Flix engine to convert all those file formats to individual frames, and spanned it along a 12fps timeline. PLays great on my dual Athlon system, but how many frames get dropped on my parents HP Pavilion?

So congrats to Macromedia for making Flash MX, a bit closer to Director. Now everyone go out and buy Flash MX so we can see everyones new dynamic scrolling text boxes.

In response to the mac vs ps debate..

if there was a mac tree growing beside a pc tree.. which one would a monkey eat?

Ok, FMX has been runing for about 12 hours now, and its useing 0% of my PC and 3,868k of ram. No leak then

Well my daddy is the real Mac Daddy!!! Or is that slim shady?

Boobies are Fun

Re: Mac v Pc..who cares? How about Flash v Director?

I don't know much about director, just the basics, but it seems to me that Flashes ability to have inumerable timelines each with the ability to interact with everything else, makes Flash more powerful as an interactive medium. Of course it doesn't push pixels as well as Director, but, frankly, Director doesn't push pixels all that well either.

I'm not arguing with you, just curious what your thoughts are about the future of Director. It seems to me that Director would be so much more powerful if it had flash style movie clips available.

Originally posted by Sdain
    That's right, you heard me...Flash vs Director? With all Flash's new improvement like real video support, external file loading, and more advanced action scripting, Isn't Flash becoming a poor man's Director. Folks it's easier doing a scrolling text box in Director 7 than it was in Flash 5!

Flash is fun, but...if Director could handle Vector graphics a little bit better, would there even be the need for Flash? And what's this crap about 'native' video support? Looks to me that Flash just integrated the Flix engine to convert all those file formats to individual frames, and spanned it along a 12fps timeline. PLays great on my dual Athlon system, but how many frames get dropped on my parents HP Pavilion?

So congrats to Macromedia for making Flash MX, a bit closer to Director. Now everyone go out and buy Flash MX so we can see everyones new dynamic scrolling text boxes.

Reply to Gadzoks..

I agree that Flash does have some advantages over Director,and Director over Flash - and the biggest is the use of independent timelines in Flash. The closest you get to that in Director is well thought out film loops. But film loops are so limiting, I opt for importing Flash .swf instead.

I think the real reason why the two programs exsist seperatly is more for marketing than anything. The same reason Adobe has Illustrator and Photoshop...Each program on it's own has...gaps. ( simple example: Photoshop is horrible with Text, While Illustrator has a Spellchecker.) But buy them both, then you're golden They compliment each other. Why not integrate them together? Wouldn't we all want a Photoshop/Illustrator combo? Or is that Where Fireworks comes in? For that matter why not combine Director and Flash? Money. Make us buy 2 program to get one solution.

Anyway before the rant, the point was that Flash and Director have advantages, but their disadvantages seems to be planned so that the other Program is a solution.

President, save the
    New Zealand dollar foundation

bad analogy IMO.

Illustrator and Photoshop are completely different, and a designed for completely different things.
    Ever try to touch up a photo in illustrator?

You're right on with Director / Flash though, one of the biggest things Director has going for it is that it's hard to use, any old person can use Flash...
    Director has street cred big time.
    Add to that hardware accelerated 3d and....

The new dual processor 1ghz G4 tower is 75% more faster than a PC intel P4 2gighz processor. (thats right out of the apple.com website)
    Not to add fuel to the fire, but I thought this was funny for quite some time. I love how apple says it's soooo much faster......and then in teeny tiny print "in photoshop tests only." read it, it's there. should say "Macs run photoshop 75% faster than pc's." Get the full details before running around blabbing apple PR. Just my 2 cents.

Hey, I got a Commodore 64 that'll whoop your Mac's ass!

But really before anything if you are using a PC tell you mommy's and Daddy's to sell that joint and get yourself the new dual 1ghz G4 tower. Believe me you will never go back to PC in your life. I know i wont and certainly don't plan too niether.

This is just an insight not a mac vs pc thread so please do not make it into that......thanks
    If this wasn't meant to be a mac vs. pc thing, then why bring it up in the first place.

Anyways, before i move to the fire with the others, here's my two bits. we work with 2 g4's and 2 pc's. Both have had no problem's at all with flash, the odd crash here and there, and our clients don't seem to mind what we develop on as long as they are happy and satisfied with the end result. How long is the mac/pc argument going to continue, design is design.

now could someone pass the marshmallows!

my daddy can beat up your daddy's pc

Originally posted by sonwah
    If you are dragging up inane age old pointless arguments like which is better - mac or PC its probably because you are not a top designer/developer.

If you even mention the fact that someome else might not be a top designer or developer its probably because you are not a top designer/developer.
    [/B]
    Top designer/developer? Is there a list someplace? . Buy the way, I am not a "Flasher", I'm a programmer- Python, ASP, VB, FoxPro - so I guess I'm a developer. From my point of view is doesn't matter which OS you are running. Code is Code.
    [Edited by belverus on 03-25-2002 at 01:13 PM]

its' the same which OS you're using still flash mx rocks!

Originally posted by joey164

The new dual processor 1ghz G4 tower is 75% more faster than a PC intel P4 2gighz processor. (thats right out of the apple.com website) That only shows you that mac its self is made for people that are top level graphic designers, that are into video editing, high profiled apps that need a high profile computer. PC's are for office use if you want work at an office using MS word than get a PC.

“It is better to remain silent and to be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt…”

Originally posted by bit-101
    if the Amiga didn't die, it would be kicking mac and pc butts all over the place right now. so true. that was a sweet machine.
    lol

btw, I work with G4's on school and I hate them -they are slowwww!- but that's my opinion ofcorse, I don't like pentiums either, just let me keep my AMD athlon, and you won't here me complain
    [Edited by liallan on 03-25-2002 at 02:23 PM]