A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: the flash 4 blues

Av: 3D & Media Developer
    |re: f4b|
    /
    i just want to know. who here still uses flash 4, because i do most of my stuff in it. i feel kinda alone when you guys talk about mx, cause the biggest i've mastered is flash5. gotta know...
    /

There isn't too big of a difference between 5 and MX, don't worry, you're not left behind at all. As for F4, I don't have it on my system any more, I'm sorry

i really think u need to move on mate, the longer u leave it the longer it will take u to learn the new features in flash 8 or whatever!

5 can do most things people want to do, but 4 can't sometimes .. and who knows when flash 4's AS will stop working ? otherwise they wouldnt deprecate syntax (most of 4's is gone in mx)

5's and mx's interfaces are easier to use, also, 4 is just kind of less productive for doing many things at once.

Well, I will be stuck with F5 for a while until I get money...and well I want to also buy Truespace so I don't know what to do.

well considering more people have the Flash 4 player then the Flash 5 or MX I don't see anything wrong with using Flash 4. I still use it. Sure it doesn't have all the nifty features that 5 and MX have but it still gets the job done. Why not download the trial version.. then u can see what's on it and what it's like.

Originally posted by Hellsbellboy
    well considering more people have the Flash 4 player then the Flash 5 or MX I don't see anything wrong with using Flash 4. I still use it. Sure it doesn't have all the nifty features that 5 and MX have but it still gets the job done. Why not download the trial version.. then u can see what's on it and what it's like.

5 and mx can export to 4 swf's and fla's, the interface is better in mx and 5, and enough people have 5's player to at least use that primarily.

|re: ironic|
    /
    got f5 yesterday. i am not opening f4 EVER again (but i'm not deleting it either, so i can get incredible amounts of money when it becomes antique)
    i love f5, and to celebrate i am doing a new site. instead of nu.pixel, i am going to create initium.

p.s.: in about 2 years when flash 7 is released, watch for "f5 blues"

I still have Flash 4 on my laptop! I even have a copy of Flash 3 lying around on a CD somewhere...
    Remember Flash 3? That was the begining...

Have a Nice Day.

Flash Dabbler
    Are we talking about that big of difference? I'm still using flash 4 and I got a lot of flash work to do this summer. I do very little Action Scrip most of what I do is just strait forward linear movies. Lots of image importing and text stuff. What’s in MX for a guy who don't use Action Script?

Originally posted by Bill Dance
    What’s in MX for a guy who don't use Action Script?
    Well coming from a guy who was going to buy 5 the day they announced MX, I'd say- MP3 and video support, Better comprehsion and components. SWF's are smaller coming out of MX.

Feel your actionscripting pain, I was buying 5 to learn actionscript. Just trying to come up to speed now.

I leave Flash 4 and 5 installed on my computer just in case. I know I can't open fla's in Flash 4 once I edit them in Flash 5, nevertheless, a part of me just does not want to let go of Flash 4.

|re:f4b|
    /
    F145|-| 5 |2\_/135. 8\_/7 F145|-| 4 |5 57|11 900d.
    /

I'm hopless at this sort of turd but,

F145|-| 5 |2\_/135. 8\_/7 F145|-| 4 |5 57|11 900d.
    Flash 5 rocks. But Flash 4 is still good