A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: multiplayer rpg

Question

making an rpg has definetly been discussed alot on this forum. my question is how would i make my rpg a multiplayer game? some people say to XML sockets, others say use PHP files. could someone please tell me which one is best, and which one is easiest to use. if u now of any sites that would help me in my quest please post them. Thanks!

If you have something like Everquest or Asheron's Call in mind (or even a vastly scaled down or 2D version of them) then you'd almost need to use XML Sockets. If different players need to interact with each other in what seems like real time, PHP just isn't going to be fast enough.

If, on the other hand, you're thinking of something more like a turn-based rpg, then using PHP would probably work just fine. The delay would be such a problem.

And PHP would be definitely be easier.

Having said that, Flash is not a good tool for developing multiplayer games. It just isn't designed for it. Macromedia's Shockwave Director would be a better choice (if you can afford it--it's a little pricy).

k well making a multiplayer rpg in flash probably isn't going to work out. but what about using Visual Basic or Javascript? I can see VB possibly working. Anyone have some advice?

i'm trying to making something like graal (http://graalonline.com). does anybody know which lang was used to code it? Thanks!