dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FLASH MX: Project VIRUS [experimental]

Hi boys and girls, I just finished a little experiment, which I will send in for an entry examination to an an special art university. The subject was VIRUS. I did in Flash MX and I needed about 10 days of developing (60 hours)

Well, check it out: http://www.cyrax.ch/virus

It would be great if I get some feedback here.

If somebody needs the source...mail me.

Your page dump out Flash MX users to:
    - http://www.cyrax.ch/virus/noflash.html

So I can't see it.

rt

possible...

you need at least the flash player 6,0,23,0 ;-) Maybe you had an older built.

addition

there's a question for your email in the application. give your real email address, because I will need it only once in my life and the email will even not be stored a database.

(The email you will get, is part of the application, it contains a link to an explict explanation what the application is all about)

hmm

interesting hehe..
    works smooth on my cpu and connections but have to say áfter a while it started to annoy me big time !! hehe but was that the point eh? hehe..

anyway nice *clap clap*

Plutarian(From Pluto, stupid!) kitchee's Avatar
    Very strange...

big question

I know...

well. I still figuring out how long the user should be able to play on the symbols page. Are 20s too much or too less ?

more...

I need more comments ;-)

Build 6.0.21.0 was my player and it worked when I tried again.

Very cool concept. And the word "virus" does get many reactions.

Observations:
    - Many of your text boxes are editible and selectable.
    - The red "Play" word should be a link or make it white.
    - Have a native English speaker tweak your text, if it's important.

rt

very cool, what socket server did you use for the multi-user part? I gotta learn how to do this...

uhm...socket server ?

It's simply based on ASP (Advanced Server Pages) Nothing else. ;-)

Danny Gomez Creations ® cosmiceye's Avatar
    under a palmtree in Jamaica waiting for psytopia 2005 to begin

Lightbulb

all thumbs up!!!

You could make this a really excellent piece of thingy. Love the idea, I have always wanted to experiment user input, but I dont now the way. I was thinking that ASP might be the answer for not having to code some too advanced server stuff.
    The user input makes the project have its own life. Use that in different ways. Have some interaction-triggered variables send to your asp-thingy whit the names, and let some animations use the variables. This is an exemple of something that I can think of right now that you could do:

on the first page, the one with the symbols, "record" the order in which the user mouseovers the symbols. onclick, send the variables and use them to make , for example , a direction pattern for a creature. The animated creature is chosen by the symbol that was clicked, and when it opens its mouth the name of the user is displayed in a bubble, and the random word in another. Color, size and stuff can also be set by the variables. When we look at the strange dark place, full of creatures, telling differnt words, moving arround, we might think ,in our subconsiousness, something like "...are we viruses...?"

just a sick idea from a sick person . Could you consider posting a ASP source code that works whith flash? That would be nice, you have inspired me. Oh, just an observation: get rid of the "a 'intellectual' way", it gives an unpleasent impresion.

May be ASP means "Active Server Pages" oops!!!

hmmmmm ASP means "Active Server pages" buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Gates will feel bad if he see your POST.....

May be he knows by now, if you used Windoz Machine to post your Reply....

hah hah hah....

He must have read my post too.... ;-)
    I use Windowz Advanzed version of 2K may be it means 2 Zillion Bugs and a trillion ways to get information from us.....

May be he is building a huge Server farm will all the emails and data.

May be if his Company is Split. he needs some job isn't it, so he will sell the info he had collected...

OK Buddy.... I just can't stop praising Mr. Bill F Gates.....

Enjoy, VIRUSING......

Danny Gomez Creations ® cosmiceye's Avatar
    under a palmtree in Jamaica waiting for psytopia 2005 to begin
    Bill Gates can kiss my cat's hairy arse!

I know what ASP means, but I allso know that it should be easier to understand than the other server-script-gizmo-thingys.

Im sure macs are great, my pc craches all the time...

...come on ,post that ASP sources so I can make some crazy creations :-P

oh, i see now. It's not really a multi-user app. It records other user's previous motions and plays them back with your real-time motions.

Anyone know how they did the multi-user stuff at:

http://surface.yugop.com/

thanks!

Iiik...

Oh...great, the idea already existed. Well, I at least I got some cool reactions from you folks. Thanks.

I will post the complete source when the competition is over, so you guys can create bigger things.

Of course there is the possibility to do a creature or something similiar, BUT the applications should be fast...It weights now 40KB and I am proud of it and even the data exchange is extremely fast.

My idea was that if you do special things with the symbols there would happen special things (like clicking lightning would be activate a movie or such stuff)

BUT ONE LAST QUESTION, what do you think about the timespan you are able to play with the symbols ? Too long or too short ?

personally, I thought the timespan was too long, especially as you have no idea of what on earth is going on. (maybe it explained it but I didn't read any of the text on the opening screen - oops )

perhaps the email would also explain it (didn't try, I'm too paranoid to enter my email in a project called 'Virus' ), however at the beginning you just sit there dragging graphics around and that on it's own isn't really tooooo interesting...

related information: the carnivore project at praystation.com is quite similar, giving a graphic display of network traffic (other similar projects exist but this is very nice).

sorry for perhaps not making too much sense, strange kinda day today...

- n.

Maybe your server is overloaded, but I am unable to see the final results. I can move the symbols, and then enter my info. But it goes to the "Please Wait" and stays at "O bytes of loaded."

rt

hmm...no problems here.

hmm try again.

Smile UPDATED & FIXED

I had a complete crash of the pages and the project didn't worked the right way (too much users were connected), however I fixed it.

I fixed some other things, for example the fact that now you will just get one email instead of two. But the algorythm is now a little bit faster, because I found some math things I was able to correct...

Question: You can link with "emailto:?body=xxxyyy". How can I make a new line in this thing ? f.e. that the y's are on a new line ? Thanks in advance for the answer.

@enemem: Thanks for the advises. I know that people fearing a "Virus". But NO RISK NO FUN !