dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: JPG's and resizing per resolution

I am creating a Projector Tutorial for my companies software and I am going to be using over 300 Screnshots.

I have been taking the screenshots using Snagit and then importing them into Photoshop and saving them as JPG's. I have only one problem....

If I take the screenshots at 800 x 600 resolution and then use them in the projector on a resolution greater than 80 x 600 the image has the impression of it being 'squished' to fit the screen and looks a little blurry.

Whould a PNG file be better for this or is there a way to change the JPG to a vector graphic for resizing?

Any help if much appreciated.

Flash Ghost!

Any graphic with look sqished if you do not constrain the dimensions. If you ahve PhotoShop you can use File-Automate-Fit Image Then put your dimension in the field. You can also utalize the Batch option (under automate) to reize all 300 images at once.

This will in effect make the images 80x60.
    [Edited by megatoon on 03-26-2002 at 02:14 PM]

Originally posted by megatoon
    Any graphic with look sqished if you do not constrain the dimensions. If you ahve PhotoShop you can use File-Automate-Fit Image Then put your dimension in the field. You can also utalize the Batch option (under automate) to reize all 300 images at once.

This will in effect make the images 80x60.
    [Edited by megatoon on 03-26-2002 at 02:14 PM]
    But I need to consider that some clients may be viewing my projector which is set to full screen on either 800 or 1024 or another resolution. Any ideas?

The only thing I can recommend is import the images at the largest size you willbe using (1024x768 I assume). Pixel based graphics tend to look really bad when scaled larger. But generally scal smaller without loss.

Just remember to constrain the properties when resizing. The size depends on how much the image with take up on the secreen. Are you using them as Bg's or for reference?

Originally posted by megatoon
    The only thing I can recommend is import the images at the largest size you willbe using (1024x768 I assume). Pixel based graphics tend to look really bad when scaled larger. But generally scal smaller without loss.

Just remember to constrain the properties when resizing. The size depends on how much the image with take up on the secreen. Are you using them as Bg's or for reference?
    I will have one main jpg that is just like taking a screen shot of IE with a blank page loaded, and from there I will have smaller pics of the new windows that would appear when you select a certain menu or option.

P.S. I did at first took the screenshots at 1024 and then when I viewed them at 800 it looked like the letters where drawn with a crayon and compressed. So that is when I reversed the idea and took shots at 800 and viewed them at 1024 but again they look exactly like the letters where drawn with a crayon.

If you have the option of developing with Flash MX, it has some built in Actionscript commands which might help you out, specifically the Stage._width and _height properties, and dynamic loading of .jpg files. With it you could create two different versions of your graphics files and load in the appropriate ones based upon the user's screen resolution.

Short of that, the best thing to do is save your images at double DPI, then scale them down to a percentage in your movie. So, for example, if you are expecting to allow your users to double the movie size (you are developing for 640x480 and want to accomodate scaling up to 1280x1024), save your files at 144 dpi (double screen resolution) and scale them to 50% in your 640x480 movie. This way when the user blows up the movie, the jpegs will be at the "real" resolution (full scale, double dpi). It will add some overhead to your movie's file size, tho.

Originally posted by CNO
    If you have the option of developing with Flash MX, it has some built in Actionscript commands which might help you out, specifically the Stage._width and _height properties, and dynamic loading of .jpg files. With it you could create two different versions of your graphics files and load in the appropriate ones based upon the user's screen resolution.

Short of that, the best thing to do is save your images at double DPI, then scale them down to a percentage in your movie. So, for example, if you are expecting to allow your users to double the movie size (you are developing for 640x480 and want to accomodate scaling up to 1280x1024), save your files at 144 dpi (double screen resolution) and scale them to 50% in your 640x480 movie. This way when the user blows up the movie, the jpegs will be at the "real" resolution (full scale, double dpi). It will add some overhead to your movie's file size, tho.
    I saved the screenshot at 1024 res as a jpg but when I import into flash the size is like 768 x 568, what is up with that, I have confirmed its size in photoshop as 1024 though. Is there a setting while importing that will keep current size?

What I was suggesting is not that you change the scale, but the dpi. Instead of a 1024x768 image at 72dpi, save a 1024x768 at 144dpi.

You might also want to look into exporting your images as .png files and see if that helps you out any.

Hi if it was mine i would use the fs command in flash to fill the screen and just keep all the images 800 x 600

would still look neat

bp

resolved About those screen shoots

Ok, you are creating a tutorial about software, unless the the tutorial is about a graphic application, why u dont use GIF's with a color depth of 256 o less?

JPEG is intended to be used only with photo-reallistics images, if you zoom in you will see it blurry because the compression method of this format.

GIF is intended to be used with drawings or diagrams, if you zoom the image, it will not appears blurry.... just you will see big pixeles.. but just that...

I hope this can be heplfull for you. Additional, sorry about my poor grammar, english isnt my maternal language.