A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dynamic image scroller

I'm trying to create a gallery of pictures where the thumnails are scrolling on one side of the stage area. I'm having problems getting the images to load into the movie clip, and trouble getting the larger images to show up when the movie clip is pressed. Does anyone know of a solution to this problem, or even a better way of doing this?

is this what you're looking for

I did a little experiment yesterday that loads jpgs from an XML file. Let me know if this is whta you're looking for.

http://www.revjon.com/flash/scroller.html

Are you dynamically creating empty movie clips that in turn load a jpeg from an xml file...i'm very interested....the page looks really good...please advise...

chase bentley

jcd1489, this is what i'm looking for, except when a visitor clicks on an image, a larger version is displayed next to the thumnails.

okay here are links to everything you need:
    http://www.revjon.com/flash/scroller.html
    http://www.revjon.com/flash/scroller.fla
    http://www.revjon.com/flash/menuItems.xml

In the .fla there is functionality for clicking to show a bigger image. Right now it just opens the JPG in a new browser window, but you can easily change this.

Let me know if you can get it working.

Thxs, i'll get working on it later tonight

ok, i'm having trouble getting the scroll to work, when i change the pictures in the xml file, the image doesnt show up in the movie. Am i doing something wrong?? ALso, how would I go about having the thumnails scroll upwards instead of horizontaly??

if you change the xml file, make sure your browser is not caching it.

if you want it to go vertical just change everything that deals with X to deal with Y.

ok, i was able to get some pictures to work, but not others. Is there a specific demention that the pictures have to be? The pictures that dont load can be loaded using the loadMovie... script. Also, is there a way to have the thumbs open up a diffrent file? I have presized thumnails and the original larger files. Thxs for your continued help.

hello???

Ok, new problem. I have buttons inside a movie clip that are scrolling along the side of my movie. How would I go about being able to click on a button and load say a picture onto the main stage?

I am thinking of upgrading to this eventually, but it was just an experiment for now.

Try this:
    1) make a new movie clip on the main time line with and instance name of "bigPic" with nothing in it.
    2) add another attribute to you XML file that has the filename of your bigger picture
    3) where you load the Title of each pic in, also load the big pic's filename
    4) then when someone presses a clip, change getURL code to say:
    _root.bigPic.loadMovie(bigPicFileName);
    5) you may also want to include something to stop the scroller from moving will the big pic is up and then some kind of close button.

hope that helps (ie. teaches, but doesn't do it for you

John

ok, thxs, will work around with this. Keep me posted on your developments.

hey! i am a noobie in Flash and XML. But i really wanna to try this. Is there a site where i can find tutorial on this?

hey! i changed the Links in the .XML but when i run the SWF, the picutres just won't show up? Can you guys help out?

thanx you very much!

I am new to XML. thanx!

anyone can help me out?

Two things to check:
    1) that the XML is still formatted correctly
    2) that you did not save your JPG as "progressive"

very cool

I have a question...what about setting a variable in flash dynamically that would equal the number of images in a directory on the server? So if you wanted to reuse the image scroller as a dynamic engine on a site with different galleries with each gallery having a different amount of images. That way you wouldn't have to hardcode it in Flash. Can MX do that? Maybe a PHP or XML script could count the number of files and pass that value to flash.
    Possible?

Everything is already set dynamically by the XML file. Flash automatically counts the number of pictured defined in the XML file and created an infinite number of movie clips. Like you said, you could create a script that generated you XML file based on the number of images in a folder. In this example the XML also holds titles though.

The point of this flash file is that your SWF doesn't have to know anything about the pictures and you never have to edit a FLA to get content into it. I used same XML file and same images with a different SWF in http://www.revjon.com/flash/spin.html.

Any number of XML, JPGs or SWF can all interact this way. I think this is one of MX's great new strengths (along with drawing and components).
    [Edited by jcd1489 on 03-31-2002 at 05:50 PM]

Looks Awesome the spin example.
    Do you mind to post the .fla?
    Thanks a lot