A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: FS command exec. what's new?

(Asking for help, from Brazil.)
    I´m having problems with a simple FSCommand exe., it doesn´t work as in Flash 5. I did some tests and the same code works to flash 5, but when I try to open another "projetor.exe" of a FlashMX.exe to another FlashMX.exe, nothing hapens.
    Please help!!!!!

It's a bug i think

I had the same problem using FSCOMMAND with exec. The Projector-File won't start anything. And if you run a Flash5-swf in the Flash6 Player, FSCOMMANDexec won't work too.

It's a bug!!!

CU
    Martin

Re: It's a bug i think

Originally posted by mbuecker
    I had the same problem using FSCOMMAND with exec. The Projector-File won't start anything. And if you run a Flash5-swf in the Flash6 Player, FSCOMMANDexec won't work too.
    Its not a bug its a feature

Yes its true, I attended the MX presentantion and they spoke about it. They had severe security problems with the exec command, so they toke is power .

Got it!

The prob is solved :-) !!!

Create a "fscommand"-Folder in the root of your projector file and put in some.exe-Files.

Then call fscommand("exec","some.exe");

and it will work!!!

caithness massiv
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...ctors.htm#Exec

In Macromedia Flash MX the external application must be in a subfolder named 'fscommand'. This subfolder must be in the same directory as the projector which uses the fscommand action. This security restriction helps prevent malicious use of the exec option

Smile

Thanks a lot for the info. I was trying for the last three days to find a solution. This forum is really great!!!

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar

This is a message I posted in the stand-alone forum when MX was released. It's just a little more information about Flash MX projectors...

A quick test will show that the SAVE command that existed in Flash 5 no longer works in Flash MX projectors.

The Flash MX stand-alone player (SAFlashPlayer.exe) now restricts the use of the EXEC command.

Files you want to EXEC in Flash MX have to be in a directory called "fscommand" at the same level as the projector. You don't specify that path in the EXEC command (that stays the same) but the file won't be executed if it's not in the fscommand directory. You can't even "get out" of the fscommand directory (or go deeper) using relative paths. All the EXE files have to be IN the directory.

Now for the killer restriction...

Arguments to The exec command can contain only the characters A-Z, a-z, 0-9, period (.), and underscore (_). You can't have any white space characters (tabs, spaces etc) after the name of the file you're launching. If you add anything, EXEC won't be able to find the file. It appears to be looking for an exact match. It doesn't even launch the file without the parameters (like it did in Flash 5), it just fails silently. While you can still EXEC applications, you can't pass parameters to them!

The combination of these changes means that if you've been using tools that wrap or extend the Flash projector (not the OCX) and you want to continue using them, you have to stick with Flash 5 for now.

A workaround using EXEC won't happen unless Macromedia relents and opens the sandbox again. With the recent Sophos Flash "virus" and stepped up security in Flash MX this doesn't seem likely. All of these products are going to have to find other ways to extend Flash if they're going to make the move to Flash MX.

If you've wondered why the new Flash MX projector is so much larger than the Flash 5 projector...

Part of the reason is new features and part of the reason is extra fluff. 49.3K (50,524 bytes) are used by 18 icons in a Flash MX projector as opposed to only 10.2K (10,504 bytes) used by 12 icons in Flash 5 projectors. The difference is the addition of new 48x48 pixel icons and support for 32bit color icons. Those little icons add up!

[Devil in DarkGreen]

I just dream that fscommand can be really save file i want to(even on internet).

DS

I know that you must use a .bat file if you want to send arguments to the launched program with exec. My question is if you know a way to run this .bat file in the background.