dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: "back" button problems??!! &%$#!

hi guys, ok, i will try to explain whats going on.
    i have 4 button on different layers. and 4 movies..so button1 when clicked "goto and play movie1" for example..and etc.
    once movie 1 loads, i want a "back" button that will take me to where i first started. when i try goto and play frame 1 of scene 1, it just starts playing the same movie again, even though i have a stop action.!

if u dont understand guys and u wanna help me out i can send u the file..
    thanks guys
    )

saludos
    mike

flashdevil
    cant you make a action gotoAndStop (1) ? instead of gotoAndPlay (1) ?

I think that if you would put
    Code:
    gotoAndPlay (1);
    stop ();
    (or whatever frame you want) It will stop there... I don't believe theres a gotoAndStop action. I'm kind of a newbie, so I'm not sure

If you have a stop() action in frame 1, the first time the movie plays it will stop in frame 1. However, if while the movie is still in frame one you click a button telling the movie to gotoAndPlay(1), the stop() action will be ignored, and the movie will start to play. The reason it is ignored is because the playhead was already in frame 1 when the command to move there was given, and for some reason that makes ANY script in the frame void.

So, if you want the move to go somewhere and then stop, use:

gotoAndStop (frameNumber) or
    gotoAndStop ("frameLabel")

If you want it to go somewhere and play, then use:

gotoAndPlay (frameNumber)
    gotoAndPlay ("frameLabel")

flashdevil
    Originally posted by Shazer
    I think that if you would put
    Code:
    gotoAndPlay (1);
    stop ();
    (or whatever frame you want) It will stop there... I don't believe theres a gotoAndStop action. I'm kind of a newbie, so I'm not sure
    BELEIVE IT!!!

Its out there.....somewhere......

Really.

Why should you question someone when he sais that it is there (especially when that person has a postcount of almost 600....)????? strange......

[edit]And your solution doesnt work, because of the first action (gotoAndPlay) actionscript will go directly to that frame, without even looking at the actions beneath that first action. So the Stop action doesnt has a function.
    But then if you put the Stop action first, the movie will stop and Actionscript wont look at the gotoAndPlay action because a action said that the movie should be stopped.

Anyway, your solution isnt a solution
    But in time you will learn better, I hope.[/edit]
    [Edited by fifkikker on 03-28-2002 at 03:07 AM]

Reaction Script Dude

Why should you question someone when he sais that it is there (especially when that person has a postcount of almost 600....)????? strange......

Actually, there are some people who have high post counts, but guess what? They are posting in the coffee lounge or some other non-flash related board. So just because someone has a post count of 3,.000, doesn't mean they've helped out 3,000 different people. 2,999 of those posts could have been in the coffee lounge, discussing what is the best movie in the world. Not to say that some high posters are really smart.

It's not how many posts you have. It's what you know. It's hard to know who knows what. i say, if you don't know or are unsure, question it. Don't just take everything at face value. Now, garbage is really knowledgable about flash, but I just wanted to make it clear that while there are some highposters who DO KNOW what they're talking about, there are some highposters who don't know jack. Just like there ARE low posters who know a whole lot, but only choose to help out certain problems. So don't judge how much someone knows about flash by how many posts they have.

Settle, petals

Lets just leave it at this ... you CAN have gotoAndPlay() and you CAN have gotoAndStop().

Let's try to help newbiemike here instead of making him wonder why he bothered posting on a *****ing board!!

fifkikker ... don't take it so personally when someone asks questions. You KNOW there IS a gotoAndStop - just be secure in your knowledge.

resdog ... you are absolutely right - you should NEVER stop asking questions. To learn we must question everything, otherwise we are not learning, we are merely being informed.

Deep breath everyone ...

flashdevil
    Sorry if it came over as if I was angry, because I wasnt.
    I was just a bit amazed if I doubted someone (because I thought what he said wasnt correct) I would ask him friendly to explain it rather then to say that that guy wasnt talking the truth (even if I knew for sure).

And I know that there are some people who post alot in the Coffee Lounge to get there postcount up, and I know you cant judge people by there postcount but what I ment is that when you're postcount is a little higher then 200 u know something about flash and come here on the boards quit often.

Now lets stick to the subject