A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [

Master Poo Flinger
    c'mon now, do you guys really see that happening? you cant recall a 2002 model car and tell people to drive the 2000 model for a while because they would have a better experience with it. that just isnt how you sell stuff.

besides, from what's said in a previous post, the problem's recognized, fixed/duct-taped, and is in the Q & A phase. be patient. even if it is a lie to calm us down, its a response to the situation none the less.

What is wrong with downloading the flash 5 player for a while. I mean what we all want is that the problem will be solved. And if we can solve the problem ( for a while ) by downloading the flash 5 player, why not?????
    It is just temporary.
    What would you choose: The newest car with no wheels, or the older car driving perfect????

The problem with downloading the Flash 5 player is, within a few days (hope, hope), the revised Flash 6 player will be released.

The users who need to download the Flash 5 player, just downloaded the Flash 6 player. Now they have to download the Flash 5 player again, and in a few days will have to download the Flash 6 player yet again?

Even if they don't upgrade to the 'modified' Flash 6 player for a matter of weeks, or months, that's also bad. Once a corrected player is out, we as developers want everyone and their uncle to download it. Correct me if I'm wrong?

If you have a time-critical application that is severely impacted by this bug, I can see requiring this step -- but I think it'll just do more to piss off the end users in the long run (not that this bug isn't already causing headaches).

ah, just my 2¢

Beyond the Sea

also, think of the problems

the average user will have with that. I mean, here's what they'll have to do:

Download the Flash 5 player installer .exe. Quit their browser. Locate the old player in the plugins directory. Remove or delete it. Locate the Flash 5 player installer. Double click it. Choose the options. Then restart after its installed.

Unless you have something that absolutely has to have the earlier version, I'd say to wait until the fixed player is out, then check for that version and take steps to make sure people install it.

just to clear this up:

I wasn't suggesting that people uninstall the v6 player and download v5 instead - just that visitors without the Flash plugin would install v5 at this point in time instead of v6.

It was a good point that these people probably wouldn't install the v6 player for a long time afterwards, so probably not the best idea.

And tweekmonster, I agree with you - of course I don't expect MM to go for the idea but I wanted to see what other people thought, after all it's our companys' reputations that could suffer too.

thx for the comments everyone,

- n.

Master Poo Flinger
    point well taken. and my bad if it sounded like i thought you were a bonehead for suggesting that. that was the coffee talking this morning.

perhaps the best question to ask MM is if we could distribute the F5 player via our servers and detection scripts, untill the patch, since we do have the release players in our F5 folders. but, then again, this is something else they might not go for either.

200 posts! yay!

tweek on tweekas!

-->> you cant recall a 2002 model car and tell people to drive the 2000 model

what if the 2002 model´s brakes don´t work?

I go for the 2000 model then....

No but seriously, like someone said before, it´s our reputation that will suffer.

That´s not good.....

peace
    chris

Master Poo Flinger
    i know what you mean, but...i was speaking from the salesman's point of view...not the consumer's.

Aquarium drinker
    Greater than 45 degrees in Minkowski space
    Oh for God's sake...

Just wait until the new player is out. It is a temporary situation. And I don't think this car model discussion is getting us anywhere.

Subcribing

*Subscribing*
    Thought for the day 4/9/02: Shi* Happens

Originally posted by pmineault
    Just picked this up from another thread:

Originally posted by Blacksting
    I have noticed that Download Accellerator treats dynamically loaded MP3's as a download option, and thus pops open it's dialog and does not stream the sound. I am wondering if this happens with any other download helping plugins or just this one. By disabling the MP3 extension in Download Accellerator the problem is solved but I havent noticed it popping up on every site, just seemed to notice it when I was checking my own. I also read another thread ,I can't recall the subject, that also mentioned a dynamically loaded sound prompting a save dialog. Could it be a certain code issue that prompts DA to kick in?
    Thought we might investigate that.
    hell yeah!!!!!! I hate that!!!!! I was trying to figure out what was wrong with me and my coding!!! I was using my amigo's computer and it kept on doing that it SUCKED!!!! totally ruined the whole experience.

President, save the
    New Zealand dollar foundation

it's been a couple of days, can we get a progress report Mike?
    pretty please?
    unless your close to a release, in which case I'm sure I'll see it soon
    thanks.

flashing since v3
    Originally posted by chris.sauber
    -->> you cant recall a 2002 model car and tell people to drive the 2000 model

what if the 2002 model´s brakes don´t work?

I go for the 2000 model then....

No but seriously, like someone said before, it´s our reputation that will suffer.

That´s not good.....

peace
    chris
    thats right guys.... im screwing right now.... i finished the site i was supposed to do ( http://www.route4plc.com ) and i have site streaming issues because i cant preload the spikes in the movie (just watch as you navigate the first page on that site! you get a big white flash as the box loads in the background.... if i could only download that spike from the external movie instead of the whole %^&*ing thing, i'd be much happier.... OBVIOUSLY

Originally posted by sonwah
    it's been a couple of days, can we get a progress report Mike?
    pretty please?
    unless your close to a release, in which case I'm sure I'll see it soon
    thanks.
    well, we are close, but i will give you an update. basically, we have fixed the issue and are doing both the plugin and web release QA at the same time.

the new player will be avaliable very soon.

hope that helps...

mike chambers

mesh@macromedia.com

Hey people!

I found something interesting (or frightening?).

Apparently MM has been told about the bug months ago (!?)

quote (Thread posted by harmonixmedia):
    "This bug is just starting to come out in the open (even though I told them about it months ago) and it’s crashing people’s computers and drying up their bandwidth."

This is the link to the whole thread:
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...9&pagenumber=2

Wow, I’m being quoted!

I should qualify my comment. The project that I worked on at this time was a big one, and we were doing something that hadn’t been done before. To tell the truth a lot of people that knew about it didn’t think that it could be done. We were going to use Flash to distribute video. It had video playing in the upper left hand corner, and menu in the lower left, and a slideshow with close ups that moved with the video. We even created a cool menu preloader that would start loading any of the clips that you selected to watch in order. That way once the first clip was loaded the next would start loading even before you finished watching the first and it would continue to play. All of this was in Flash. No frames, no dhtml, no javascript, no browser issues, just .swf!

We finished the project, and it mostly worked but won’t be released because of all the issues we found. The name of the company that hired me, and the name of their client aren’t important. Needless to say we ran into the streaming issue once we put it on-line for testing. By the way, there is also a memory issue that you may want to watch out for. Now I told my client, and they told theirs, and I know that an e-mail that I wrote ended somewhere at MM, but I don’t think it got very far. I don’t think that this is MM’s fault. I don’t think that purposely ignored my e-mail. In fact I would be surprised if any software engineers ever saw my e-mail. I bet it ended up in the “trash” bin of a lower level marketing team member.

To tell the truth I didn’t think that this was a bug that was going to be able to be fixed. I though that it was going to be just one of those things that we web developers shrug our shoulders and say “Welcome to the Internet”. I think the fact that MM has recognized the problem and is trying to fix it should be praised. Yes, this is something that should have been (and was) caught before the release. Yes there are a few issues using video in Flash. But over all I love Flash MX. I think that it’s miles ahead of Flash 5. From what I’ve heard MM steeped on a lot of very large toes to even put video in Flash and to make Actionscript more robust so let’s cut them some slack.

I sent a mail to mike chambers explaining audio troubles on Mac Os 9.1 .....

as posted on w-h forum....(04-06-2002 )
    (the answer from mike)
    quote:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by zoomfreddy
    FYI... same stuff happends on Mac...IE 5.1& flash plug-in 6.0 r21

fyi, i looked into this, and this is actually a Mac IE 5.1 bug (not a Flash Player bug), and is not related to the streaming issue.

mike chambers

mesh@macromedia.com

(then)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeC

fyi, i looked into this, and this is actually a Mac IE 5.1 bug (not a Flash Player bug), and is not related to the streaming issue.

mike chambers

mesh@macromedia.com

Already sent you a e-mail with explanations on what happened on my machine.
    I forgot to tell you something, im on OS 9.1

I have to say this:

Your reply start to sound familiar to me and to some others, i guess, as with the animation speed issue with Flash 5 plug-in on Mac...

MM says " is Apple fault " , Apple says ""is MM fault"...mmmm...

But.... i been doing some tests with tweened animations on Flash 6 plug-in (with 12,20,30 etc FPS) and guess what?
    Is just my faith on MM, or now tweened animations run better with Flash 6 Plug-in?.

Anyway, i have to thank MM for that bug on Flash5 Plug-in, that issue made me a better AS programmer.

Sorry, i love Mac computers as i love Flash... (i know IE have bugs related to swf files already ), can you show us all some bug-less tests or at least a extended explanation/workaround maybe?, i guess we all do our best to deliver good stuff on Flash as designers/developers, but we need a reliable product to keep things working.

and today im still waiting for a reply...

BTW the Mac IE5.1 troubles are:

IE crash after surfing several pages with swf movies(sometimes happens, sometimes not), this is like a memory bug or something, THAT'S THE BUG IN IE, but i test the audio prob like this:

start up IE, load the example page, and get the same problems as every body here, so to me, is not the IE bug, but the Flash 6 player bug!!!

is not funny at all

... i' tested this on NS 4.7, everything works nice, so i see it as this is exactly the same problem on plug-in for Mac as it is for Pc, i just hope this stuff does not stay as the last problem with F5...forever... but it seems that im the only one posting for the Mac developers/users...this is really sad, because i do all my work on Mac...im losing faith...well, i can change to Os X, and that fixes the trouble for me, but not for the rest...there are plenty of people still using Os 9 to 9.2

Re: ...

mike chambers is totally right!

i´ve just booted my powerbook in 9.2 and tried it with player 6, all this with the internal modem (especially for you), and there no streaming bug.
    i walked through the office and tried it with several mac´s (still 12 without X (waiting for dreamweaver MX)) under 9.1 and 9.2 with explorer and player 6:
    no streaming bug
    (but now everyone is dancing to the music, maybe we should collect some money for the traffic)!

that´s the reason why you are the only one posting for mac-users. for the same reason you are still waiting for another reply from mike chambers, he kindly said everything what could be said.

try to give explorer more RAM, or ...
    ok, this is for a new thread!

Re: Re: ...

Originally posted by opalu
    [B]mike chambers is totally right!

i´ve just booted my powerbook in 9.2 and tried it with player 6, all this with the internal modem (especially for you), and there no streaming bug....
    Hi there Opalu, don't mean to be rude, but in know my way on Macs since long time ago, i know what to do almost in any case, i am the Mac Guru in my office...,and there is another one in this thread posting the same stuff, but he is on Os X, i just want stuff to be clear, not as with the flash5 plug....

Again...
    One thing is Mac IE 5.1 crashing after some time surfing on flash pages (with any content , normal stuff)....

And other very different thing is IE crashing when loading some streamed sound, even after closing the window with the page, and the size of files on "temporary files folder" keep growing...don't you think?

...but anyway, the thing is, who can be sure that there is no bug on Mac if some users don't see troubles, but others do...is not like: "hey is not happening to me, so the world is ok"...

Re: Re: Re: ...

sorry zoomfreddy
    that wasn´t ment rudely also, but mike chambers is doing a very good job on all boards
    (or maybe they have several mike chambers at MM now ;-)

show me a way to produce this issue on my (mac)machine:
    start up IE, load the example page, and get the same problems as every body here, so to me, is not the IE bug, but the Flash 6 player bug!!!
    as guru this must be easy (sorry again)