A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [

Originally posted by C4_Tom

Macromedia have now got big problems.
    Say my small flash site loads in a 50MB swf, goodbye bandwidth! Hello very frustrated user.
    umm, don't write a flash movies that loads a 50mb SWF file?

mike chambers

mesh@macromedia.com

Beyond the Sea
    I'm sorry, but that's a flippant answer.

Is there any way to kill the download of movies once they've begun? It shouldn't matter if they're 10k or 100MB, there should be a way to do this.

My point was that an evil user could easily make a swf that would kill all bandwidth on a machine. Whilst it's not as bad as a virus it is still and issue that could seriously annoy users, and be used to mess up the integrety of Flash as a viable use of the web.
    It only takes a bit of scare-mongering by the press and soon people will be put off Flash. Which is bad news for all of us.

The impact of this "bug" is huge - this needs to be sorted or flash could rapidly become a sore point to regular web users and more importantly lose the trust of those commisioning flash based web sites.

If anyone from macromedia reads this please ensure we hear something soon! We are now faced with clients who as the Flash 6 player becomes more common will have a site that is crippled. We need to know whats what - if its a bug when we can expect a new player release, and if it isnt details of how we can achieve similar functionality to what we had with flash 5.

This isnt just a flash MX problem - anyone producing flash movies will be effected.

I don't think Macromedia anyone from Macromedia reads these boards. And they don't ever seem to Patch Flash anyway - sowhy would it matter. They might put out a new player version, but that doesn't mean the majority of users will ever download it.

If they don't do something about this pretty quickly they are gonna have a lot of angry users and a lot of angry developers too. This isn't a feature they've changed in Flash MX, this is something they've broken for old versions of Flash too.
    A lot of sites out there will now stop working.

Also, concider the effect this will have on Flash banner advertising. If you flick through some sites without giving them a chance to load properly you'll end up with a large ammount of bandwidth being hogged by swfs that you won't even see.

It really makes no sense to continue a load when the stream is broken. I won't feel it because I have a 1.5Mb/s connection, but 56K users will be in the lurches. I wonder if anybody within their testing community ever pointed this out as a problem. What is the deal with that anyway.

I mean -- i was considering putting an MP3 player embedded into my sites so that users could check out aht I am listening to. If they click on a song-- click the next song -- my server will cut off further transfers-- no more that 2 simultaneous connections -- they would'nt be able to even navigate -- it will look like my site crashed their computer.

That really sucks!

Beyond the Sea
    has anyone sent a bug report to MM about this? One of you who has found the problem, please send it in to their bug reporting e-mail with detailed information on what you've observed about the streaming problem.

I forget the address right now...I'll post back when I find it...or someone else can...

I don't think Macromedia anyone from Macromedia reads these boards.
    I always thought Mike Chambers was from Macromedia.

Or am I wrong??????

well if he reads the boards here, he is certainly standoffish about saying if Macromedia is aware of issues, working on problems -- etc. I am not saying he should be a corporate spokesman, but saying " I think that is an issue being worked on " would at least make me feel a bit better.

Has anyone tried deleting the sound object to stop the stream? I can't tell if the stream is breaking, my load is too fast.

I think Cre8tive has posted something to Macromedia to let them know about it.
    I've tried deleting the movie clip to stop swfs streaming, it doesn't work. I've also tried setting new target swfs, setting to null...
    Nothing stops the download. Even changing URL doesn't stop it!

dont make that bug report email address to easy to find,
    hey they dont have bugs ;-)

to Mike Chambers:

Mike, this may not be the end of the world, but obviously some developers see it as a pretty serious problem. is there any answer, workaround, patch, advice, etc.?
    just "don't load big files" will just get people pissed off. mp3 and video can get pretty big, and even 1 mb on a 56 k connection can slow things down for several minutes. since mp3 and video are much touted new features, and will probably start being used more and more, this should be a concern.

Was able to use the load Mp3 with good reults

I did notice some issues if you dont use the soundstop command

Have a look at my mp3 player at http://www.peopleinmammothproductions.com

hit the pimp radio option off to the left

If you can get on the site this thread http://webforums.macromedia.com/flas...hreadid=306570 which cre8tive started has received 0 replies from Macromedia to date. This is where you would think that you could find some news on this issue.

The problem isn't just limited to big files. If a user flicks through a site where each section loads a small file, say 200k, after flicking through 5 sections that 1MB queued up to download and the user isn't even viewing any content.
    On a 56k connection every bit of bandwidth is neccessary to view a site with a reasonable ammount of content without having to sit through a preloader.

I'd rate this as the biggest problem found yet in FMX. Especially since it affects those that still use Flash 5, people would assume that the stuff they create will continue to work in the future. Not suddenly break because macromedia update the player.

Questions: Does this appear across all platforms and even in the standalone player? Does that means that projector files are affected too? Can somebody post an example .swf which shows this issue in detail?

This is quite a bummer...

I was (finally) able to get into the Macromedia site to post a reply to the thread provided above, then the connection timed out when I tried to post, so no go.

We've built some flash presentations at work and have tried to create some movie load-balancing within them for our AOL/modem viewers. The new player not only throws all that work out the window, it's also rendered some of the files unviewable to all users of the site - not so good.

I hope all the noise the community is making helps this issue get resolved.

C4_Tom...this is my concern precisely. What used to be an elegant and simple structure for building a website now kills half your audiences bandwidth. I know that I can be expecting alot of calls from clients complaining about their site soon.

Wake up MM!!!

Aquarium drinker
    Greater than 45 degrees in Minkowski space
    I usually disregard any Flash MX bashing, but I agree that this is a very serious issue. I am relying on Macromedia on this one to release a new version of the Flash player in the next few days that ill fix this.

And to Mike Chambers, you have a serious attitude problem, and I sincerely hope you get fired.