A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [

cre8ive
    To test for yourself you'll need a tool to monitor bandwidth.

Here's a freeware monitor with a graphical display:
    http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0...st-5-6.8035913

While watching bandwidth these issues become obvious, especially when changing urls.

Here's a Flash 4 application that loads swfs containing streaming audio to emulate a jukebox.

http://www.myrecords.com/mixtape/mixtape.html

When a user clicks forward or back an swf is unloaded and a new one loaded. Pressing stop unloads the swf. All this is done in a designated _level.

With a version 4 or 5 player the download stops when the swf is unloaded. This allowed the user to switch songs with only a short pause pressing forward and back.

With the version 6 player pressing forward or back only adds to the download. Doing so 3-5 times will create a large enough download cache that things freeze until the downloads are completed.

Use the bandwidth monitor with this url. Get a new song to play and press stop. Notice the download continue. Press forward a few times until it locks and then change the browser url. Make sure to dump the browsers cache every so often.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/e...shform/?6213=19 This is the URL to report bugs. I'm sure they already know about it but I think that this would be a great way to let MM know that developers feel that this is an urgent matter.

this explains everything!

I have had so much trouble with certain sites bogging down my high-end computer. I have broadband and 768MB of RDRAM - I should never have a problem viewing sites, but I have encountered a few new Flash 6 sites (mostly FlashKit members' sites) that simply make my browsing experience unbearable.

I am so glad that all of you diagnosed this, and I now wait for MM's response. I too have never been one to bash MM - I am maybe one of their biggest fans, but this just sucks. They should be ashamed that a bug this big slipped by them.

I have reported it on their bug mailer just as many of you have - hopefully this will allow us to garner a rapid response.

Thanks again to all of you that spotted this.

hmm, i´m on the road with my powerbook and os X.
    i´ve testet
    http://www.myrecords.com/mixtape/mixtape.html
    several times now with player6 and explorer,
    i can press the forward and back button as often as i like, there´s nothing added to the download! (but a great music mix!)

just tried it again, works fine after min. 20 times clicking. stoppt it (left the player open) and my receive status monitor says: nothing.

so i can´t report a bug.
    (but if there´s not a workaround in the next week for win-os, i will be executed by my customers)

migel: I have tested it on windows machines, IE6, Flash Player 6. I have tested both Flash 5 swfs and Flash 6 swfs. Both have the problem.
    This isn't an issue with files being run locally, so while testing you won't experiance the problem, only once it's uploaded will things bog down.

Can anyone else confirm that this isn't happening on a Mac?

to be more precise:

mac os x 10.1.3
    IE 5.1
    Shockwave Flash NP-PPC 6.0 r21

stops when it should stop streaming

Well this is kind of a good thing, at least if it's not happening on a Mac then it is definitly a bug and not a 'feature'.
    Now we just need to know when it will be fixed

C4_Tom: Can you try to load the root swf using the standalone player and do loadSound's or loadMovie with remote URL's to see if it shows the same problem? I wonder if this is only an issue with the IE plugin or not.

Right, I've done the test you've requested and found that the same issue exists on the standalone player. I loaded a remote file in from a local file. A few frames later I removed the holder mc. Sure enough, the content continued to stream in the background. This problem exists in the plugin and the player

Hi,

ok - so I don't exactly understand what that bandwith monitor is showing me, however it seems to me that on Netscape 6.2, Win2k this problem doesn't exist.

Leaving the site definitely stops the download for example and it seems that clicking forward/backwards doesn't add to the stream - although it's kind of hard to tell. It seems that the downloading stops for a very short time as well when you press the 'forward' button, so looks like the stream is interrupted.

Can't test it on any other browsers/platforms I'm afraid. Anyone else tested this on Netscape and encountered the problem?

- n.

Well, I've checked on my Mac and the problem counts for Macs too, unfortunately. Using macOSX, IE5.1
    What you should do to check if all swfs are loaded totally: look into your cache at the filesizes! If you have a fast connection, it does not seem to be a problem, everything keeps on working fine and music or movies do stop if you request them to stop. But your cache will be full!
    In some respect we could see this rather as a 'feature' then a bug: if you stop to download another movie and go back to download this movie again you could get into problems: you need a preloader, right? Well, now a preloader will be skipped rightaway.

Just keep on making small files, that's what Flash is made for in the first place.

http://www.flashlab.com :
    All files only 2Kb

Small file sizes often aren't an option, and remember that small on 56k is very different to small on broadband

if you are talking code and vector graphics, sure, small file sizes are no problem. but what is being highly advertised about mx? video import, dynamic mp3 and jpg. file sizes can get big quickly with those.

What was the big advertising point of flash way back when I started with version 2, STREAMING, sure lots of people use preloaders now (too many I think) but flash was designed to stream, that was the whole point.
    I tested the example, on winNT. IE5.5, player6, I listened to a song for a few seconds, hit the forward button, play, and so on, after about 6 or 7 songs my DSL connection (only 256K) was choked and it took about 15 seconds for the song to start as the others were still downloading. Fairly harsh user behaviour, but not completely unlikely. So even on a DSL line it can be a problem.
    would be good to see a response from macromedia.

I tested your mix tape on a p4 2ghz -- 1GB of ram -- 1.8Mb/s connection -- using ie 6 - and Flash player 6.

I could press the next song button only 4 times before it was bogged down to the point that it would load nothing more. After about 30 seconds it finally started playing -- I assume the files were loading during this time and my computer finally got caught up with the load.

This is a real problem-- maybe not a Mac issue -I have not tested it on Netscape -- but dammit this sucks bad.

The majority of the web users use IE -- problems with ie plugins will really have a detrimental effect on this programs viability.

I sent a bug report to MM -- but I have not heard anything -- no autoresponder, nothing.

If anybody at MM reads these boards, could you please check up on this?

I have halted my department's use of Flash MX until this can be worked out. I hope this will be solved soon.

This is not a problem with MX, so you can continue using it. This is a problem with the Flash 6 player, even stuff developed in Flash 4 will go wrong if the user has the new player installed

Originally posted by SOLOMONF
    I have halted my department's use of Flash MX until this can be worked out. I hope this will be solved soon. [/B]
    The problem appears to be with the player, not the authoring environment. Whether you author in MX or not doesn't matter - if a visitor comes to your site with the Flash 6 plugin they will experience problems.

(Thankfully, MM *do* update their players after release, as they did to fix bugs in Player 5)

Come on macromedia!

Think we can be pretty certain that the player is the problem and its not a feature!

What would be nice now is to here when we can expect a fix so we can relay this to clients who are already concerned.

Anyone who hasnt posted a bug report to Macromedia needs to do so - have been told that multiple bug reports on the same issue prioritise the fix - and boy this needs priority.

Since we haven't got very far here could everyone who is affected by this problem post a message to the official macromedia board saying that they want this fixed.
    The link is http://webforums.macromedia.com/flas...hreadid=306570

Hopefully if we get some steam behind that thread then hopefully Macromedia will take notice and do something about it.
    I can accept having to put with with a few irritating bugs, or having to work round some of the odd things in Flash. But this is a serious bug that is having a large impact on us and our clients, it cannot be swept under the carpet and ignored. Most frustrating is that is a bug that is out of the control of the developer, and there's no way of guarunteeing what exactly our customers will see when they browse our sites.