A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: content question

i have two sections in my protfolio entitled flash and web.
    i was going to put all web site in the web section and experimental stuff that i do in flash well in the flash section. my question is this, if the website is done in flash should it be put in the flash section or in the web section? after all a flash site is well flash and web. any ideas? thanks much for the help.

I think I understand your problem. It seems as though your categories are a bit confusing. Why not make one of the categories "Experimental." You can place all experimental work in there (Flash or no Flash). Then, in your other section (Websites) place everything else (Flash or no Flash)

that is an idea, but does the experimental section start to mold with a fine art section. can an animation done in flash be considered fine art. i only say this because i have seen plenty of art exhibits that use animation and video. maybe i sould put them in fine art or in a section of their own not necessarily the portfolio? i have not been touching the portfolio section of my websote do to my indesicion of how to organize the content. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i screamed that felt a little better

I would simply place all work done for clients into the website listing, and all work done for yourself into the experimental section. Don't make it too hard for yourself. After all, if you have trouble differentiating between the types of work you do, how do you think your visitors will react?

Originally posted by gdstudios
    I would simply place all work done for clients into the website listing, and all work done for yourself into the experimental section. Don't make it too hard for yourself. After all, if you have trouble differentiating between the types of work you do, how do you think your visitors will react?
    lol i agree
    hence my taking the time to decide and debate. i am just looking for outside ideas and opnions.
    i can leave all things done for clients on the web in web. i think i will leave all things done for print in print. i think i will combine the experimental/flash section and the fine art section and call it gallery. maybe, not sure if i like the term gallery. in fine art i plan to place paintings sketches, drawings etc... ok i think i got it
    web print fine art(which will encompass all other things, drawings, flash animations, photos tec..)\

sound good?
    i think so.

I think that sounds like a great idea. I like 'Gallery' too. I've seen it used elsewhere and it is certainly appropriate. Good luck and keep me posted on your progress with this.

Wichser
    gallery sounds like a photo gallery

while

showcase / showroom sounds more like a platform with all sorts of creations. Slight differences yet gallery is too photo-based in my ears.

Good point iCEBERG. Showcase / Showroom would work too.

ok afte some thought and some distance. i realized i was trying to use the term gallery to mean space in which all art is exhibited. so i went to a thesaurus and checked out alternatives. i have it narrowed down to exhibit or studio.

Originally posted by FairyJanis
    ok afte some thought and some distance. i realized i was trying to use the term gallery to mean space in which all art is exhibited. so i went to a thesaurus and checked out alternatives. i have it narrowed down to exhibit or studio.
    Unforuntely, studio is a bit overused. Exhibit is the better of the two. Why not showroom? Showcase?

when i see showroom i am thinking cars. a showroom filled with cars. Showcase ia m thinking litereally a case with stuff in it. like jewlery or baseball cards. i would showcase my collection of hot wheel cars.

i normally would exhibit a painting or an artwork, and that exhibit is in a gallery. studio relates because often traditional art is made in a studio, artists often have studios.

i am trying to choose words that relate to the subject which is art and the material that would be presented there. granted some words are overused, but that is probably because they realate quite well to the subject and those words make for the best explainatin of what is there. ok i am babling now.

well i will give this all more thought, maybe more distance if necessary. i can work on other parts of the site for the time being.

Wichser
    show.reel

Originally posted by iCEBERG2000
    show.reel
    show.reel ? :-/

Wichser
    yeah, you are really showing something real.

was just an idea

i am confused wven more but thanks for the ideas.

What iCE is saying is that he doesn't necessarily like exhibit or studio. He still likes the "show" ideas. I happen to agree. But, I am sure you will use the best term for your website.

Originally posted by gdstudios
    What iCE is saying is that he doesn't necessarily like exhibit or studio. He still likes the "show" ideas. I happen to agree. But, I am sure you will use the best term for your website.
    wow you got all atht out of show.reel. i missed something there. i guess it would be the best term for the site. i had another idea. i should write it down before i forget. ok i wrote it down.

the idea is breakihg the portfolio in half. leacing one section as commercial art. and then creating a nother images that is a treasure chest and putting art chest on it as the link.

i' ll need to mull over that for while. i have barely worked on my site all day today. o well. just been tossing ideas around. in my head here with you guys and with some co-workers.