A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: unicode

I was really excited to see that MX now supports unicode characters, but it seems to be a very limited support as far as i can tell...

i have gone through the MM "configorator" demo file(which seems to work fine, and it seems that the only way to get unicode characters in your projects is to use an external xml file to store the characters. every time that i try to write in a text input box, the characters enter only as "???", i am using MS Gothic/ MS Mincho, which are both unicode fonts.

was wondering what success anyone else has had with it. any advice, knowledge on this out there?

mike.sheetal.

Write in unicode

If you have windows 2000 or XP. Then try to go to the control panel then choose "Regional and Language Options". On the "Advanced" tab under "Language for non-Unicode programs" change the value in combo box to you language. Click "OK" you might need to restart your computer. If you still can't write try to embed the font from the text properties in flash.

Try it and tell me if it works.

can do that but....

thanks for your suggestion,

my regional options are fine... i do a lot of multi-lingual things in opther aps, photoshop, word etc with a wide variety of character sets (japanese, chinese, etc..) ... all of them work fine... this is only not working in flash MX.

is anyone using unicode characters properly in MX?

I have no problems with writing in Arabic, Chinese or Japanese. So, if you need to know anything about my computer settings just and I'll be happy to help.

mmm... must be my configuration perhaps...

can i ask what system and fonts you are using?

i have winXP-proffessional with MS Mincho, MS Gothic as my main unicode fonts.

i can start entering a character (ie. type in the phonetic version first) and the system will correctly display a Japanese character as it normally would, but when i hit enter to confirm the correct characters, it changes to ???, the standard response when the character isn't recognised with that font.

are there any other settings that you know of that i might be able to check?

hold on....

just tried arabic script and that works fine... but still no luck on japanese or chinese.

more and more confusing.

The same:

WindowsXP Pro
    MS Mincho

Do you want me to send you the .fla and .swf files?

thanks abdul, that'd be very helpful,

you can send it off-list if you like...
    mikesheetal@yahoo.com

have you guys been able to figure out the problem? Because I'm trying it right now, and I can't get it to work either.

have sorted out what the problem was, but not sure if MM is supporting unicode as much as i had hoped.

to get unicode working you need to bring it in from an external *.as file with an #include or as a txt file containing a variable string using loadVariables. The file MUST be formatted as UTF-8.

using a common unicode font is safest as i am not sure if it requires the end user to have the font installed. fonts such as _serif or _sans are the safest.

havn't fully tested yet, but it may inputs within Flash under OS versions that use unicode for their main operations (like Japanese WindowsXP OS) as opposed to English XP that has unicode as essentially an add-on available for aps to use.

hope this helps.

does this mean that we cannot have unicode for input fields?

i posted my question yesterday but that thread has been deleted for what!

havn't tried that yet, give it a go... love to hear your results.

That is what I tried. I my original post (which for unknown reason has been deleted), I mentioned that all is fine with dynamic textfields - just that they have to be read from external files.

But for input fields, nothing works.

I am trying on w2k with international language input. i can key into the input fields but once entered, the characters turn to ???.

I have tried System.useCodePage = true and set input fields fonts to _sans, to no avail.

*sigh* half-cooked unicode support...

Every font has its specific charMap. Some foreign font has universal charMap, some are not. Sometimes, I got two Japanese font and their charMap are different.

When I want to display Japanese in static or dynamic textbox, I can check the charMap of that font. And I know what key (code) on the keyborad I should press to get the code.

But if we make an input box, how could we let users know the detail of the charMap for the font we embed ?

erm, sorry to revive this old thread... but, what is the conclusion?

how can we implement a unicode input textfield? when entering chinese/korean/japanese into an input textfield during runtime, the characters turn to "??"

ohhh i cant believe it someone had tried arabic and succeeded ,plz help , iam here in need to link a xml file coming from an access database , the xml has arabic data but i cant have it displayed ok in flash ??? so plz help