dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Using AS to Blur Text or Images. Please help.

Is this possible? If so please help...
    Thanks in advance.

Me too...I also am curious in learning how to BLUR objects (text, buttons, MC's, Images) using AS. Actually if anyone out there has some examples and steps/tutorials on how to do it OTHER ways I would like to see. Am on the HUNT for a good looking BLUR effect for objects to slide in with. Suck as the way BIGGER MULTIMEDIA companies do...2A for example....anyways...please shwo me some example sof what ya go..and more importantly...HOW TO ACHIEVE them...
    Even the ones that use 3rd party appz such as PHOTOSHOP...thanks

-whispers-

i read a few reviews of flash 6 beta a couple of months ago and i remember something about a blur function... but not only did i totally forget about it (which is kinda weird cause i was pretty excited about that), but i havent come across it yet = / mmmm that would be nice though

Junior Senior
    i cant comment about an actionscript solution, tho i am sure it would not be overly difficult, but it is fairly simple to do in photoshop...

create a new document, make sure the background is filled with a colour, and type out whatever text you want.
    right click the 'T' on the text layer in the layers panel and select render layer.
    use filter->motionblur from the menu to make the blur as you want it.
    Ctrl-click the blur layer to make its contents into the current selection.
    Open the channels panel and select new Channel from its menu.
    your new channel should be automatically created as black, and active, and you should still have the selection from your text layer...
    press Ctrl-I to invert the blur in the new alpha channel.
    Go back to the layers panel and delete the text layer.
    The colour of your original background will be the colour of the text, so fill that with whatever you want.
    save as 32 bit png.
    import the png to flash, select modify -> trace bitmap from the menu.
    blur only works in motion, so you can really skimp on the object details here, set everything to create the smallest possible number of curves. trace will make still too many curves probably, so straighten, smooth and optimise it down as much as you can.

yay blurred text, or blurred anything really...

Can you put up a link to show a couple pictures of what you get like before you bitmap trace and so on?..PLEASE!!?

Why are you bitmap tracing it? Doesnt that defeat the purpose..(I just cant visualize what you get after trace)

Does it need to be a .png for a reason? Becasue of transperency options maybe? hmm..am curious to hear more about this though..thanks!

-whispers-

Motion Blur/Onion Skin Effect Using Actionscript

Re: Motion Blur/Onion Skin Effect Using Actionscript

Originally posted by peter_127
    Here is one I found for Flash 5.
    http://www.virtual-fx.net/tutorials/...otionblur.html
    Thanks...

All of the actionscript blurs I've seen of yet focus on dupicating movie clips that trail with different alpha settings. Not very realistic and definetly not what I'm lookning for.

I think that I know it's possible with AS. I saw one guys footer that had the text "experience a warm place" it apparently used AS to achieve its blur. Does anyone else know how to do this??

Junior Senior
    Originally posted by whispers
    Can you put up a link to show a couple pictures of what you get like before you bitmap trace and so on?..PLEASE!!?

Why are you bitmap tracing it? Doesnt that defeat the purpose..(I just cant visualize what you get after trace)

Does it need to be a .png for a reason? Becasue of transperency options maybe? hmm..am curious to hear more about this though..thanks!

-whispers-
    you could probably use TGA instead, tho macromedia products seem to like 32bit png's, these formats stand apart from others as they support alpha channel transparency.

the bitmap trace is to reduce filesize as much as possible. if you feel it is defeating the purpose, just use the bitmap instead. the fact that flash even supports aplha channels when tracing bitmaps is reason enough to use it IMO.

Re: Re: Motion Blur/Onion Skin Effect Using Actionscript

Originally posted by clifgriffin

All of the actionscript blurs I've seen of yet focus on dupicating movie clips that trail with different alpha settings. Not very realistic and definetly not what I'm lookning for.
    i can't think of any way in which to actually blur a symbol or image with actionsscript, unless it's the way you describe above.

here's an example i did just using a blurred version of the text imported as a png,
    http://www.rigent.com/projects/flashsplash2.swf
    there's no need to trace a blur like this one, it will just end up as a larger file, the png i used here was 1.1k, not too much i think...

how you use the blur is important but it's suprising how easy it is to fool the eye into thinking the text is actually blurring and moving. I used it pretty sparingly in the above example, just as a highlight, but eric jordan's good at using it

I think that for a more realistic look you should use Photoshop. Sometimes a vector gradient with two alphas set at 0 on the sides will help you get that feeling as if the object moved fast in or out of the screen.

For AS: Go to http://www.ultrashock.com, they have a great example on how to achieve this with AS. I don't like the results too much though....

Danny Gomez Creations cosmiceye's Avatar
    under a palmtree in Jamaica waiting for psytopia 2005 to begin

tracing bitmaps?

I thought tracing a bitmap made a picture heavier in filesize...that is if I want to have a similar quality to the original bitmap, an enormous amount of corners are generated... or am I wrong?