dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your feelings towards the mentally ill...

everyone, and Canadaherp in particular--i said nothing offensive in this thread please. Take note at my first post, Canadaherp, please don't post comments such as that, as that is what i consider offensive, and people can be hurt. Thank you.

Originally posted by LanSite
    Mentally ill ... who isn't ... to some degree, anyway ?
    Actually, on that note, y'all might find this to be an interesting read if you have some time. It's a little dated, and a little long, but worth reading.

The Geek Syndrome

Autism - and its milder cousin Asperger's syndrome - is surging among the children of Silicon Valley. Are math-and-tech genes to blame?

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9...ergers_pr.html

Anything. Anytime. Anywhere. aliensynergy's Avatar
    I have two REALLy good friends who are mentally ill.

My Ex Bassplayer, he had a bit of everything, scitzo, phycosis and many more...with him you couldn't tell he was mentally ill at all, we use to visit him at the phsyc ward, and after we left, we'd all be like...**** man he doesn't need to be in an enviroment like that...there was some INSANE people there...he would cut himself, and tell us stories about little green men he seen last night, thats while he was on heavy meds at the phyc ward...

My other friend, is scitzo in the worst way...it is super strange, he can be totally normal, then the next moment he will be telling you what the voices are telling him, and telling you the most whacked out stories you'd ever heard...
    very graphic and disturbing, with him its always sexual, never really violent...the poor guy thinks his own Mother prostitues HIS body out while he's asleep, to their neighbours.
    He seems to have trouble defining his dreams and real life, he thinks they are both the same. I've known this guy since I was like 6 years old, we are both 27 now...in our teens we use to get drunk a lot, go to parties etc, he was easily the most popular with the girls, they would ALL be after him, very much a surfy pretty boy type...when he got older (early 20s) he did a lot of acid, me and my mates assume thats what tripped him off. He's spent a lot of time in the pshyc ward etc, been arrested a few times...and to be quite frank is totally loopy at times, yet I still class him as one of my best mates...he cannot help it.

So I guess I've had a lot of experience with mentally ill people, and I find no problem at all with them...
    It can happen to ANYONE, just like cancer or any other physical illness...

Sorry for the long thread, but I feel people should treat them as normal as possible, this will go a long way to helping them get fixed up...

belive me, i want to treat them as "normal" as i can, but for reason, i just don't have that ability. I can't just hug them, or slap them five, for some reason, i feel weird. I was wondering if i could "fix" it, or if anyone else had the same thing.

The Metamorphic Mutant Mystique_MHz's Avatar
    My roomate in college was suffering from depression. She was in so much pain that she decided to end her life [gun to the head]. Not to bring everyone dowm... it happened a long time ago and I've moved on.

She never showed any signs of depression. Around me, she was a happy, generous, kind and thoughtful person. That's why I never understood why she took her life.

Lots of people suffer from depression and if they don't get help...

Mystique

Lady Pleaser Extrordinaire!

I Deleted 2 of my posts......

I guess people didnt take it the right way..... would you consider me mentally ill? they siad i had depression and all but honestly i dont remember anything of it other than a few bad memories i dont remember 4 years of my life? luckily flash helped save it because it was pretty well the only thing that i could do other than electronics and oragami

Thanks for deleting, i just felt they were slightly offensive...

The mental illnesses i was referring to was down syndrome, and other related illnesses, not depression...illnesses that require frequent or constant care from other people...

I guess I could say quite a lot, or nothing much on this subject. HF, I think when you mentioned mental illness, you should have specified 'Physically noticable' if that is all you wanted to talk about.

My Cousin has down syndrome. I do not have to spend time with her because she is in anther country, but she is the sweetest most adorable person with so much love to give. I really think you feel threatened by the fact that people with physical problems make you feel uncomfortable because you feel as though if you are hugging them and what not you are giving them 'special treatment' that you would otherwise not give them if they were noticable. I used to feel the same until I met my cousin. The unconditional love that she showed me - a total stranger was remarkable.

I also think that mental illnesses should be talked about here if we are talking at all - as they are the most common and the most deadly, and the most un-noticable.

I must say that the person (forgotten name) that went on a ranting rampage about depression really got to me because it is not as if people with bipolar and manic depression want to be like that. it is and illness. Just like getting the flu. They cannot help the symptoms. Believe me when I say this as I have suffered for years of this. It is an uncontrolable and vicious circle that you get wound up in. Whomever said they did not notice their friend was depressed. I was like your friend. I would hide everything from everyone. Make sure I appeared happy. I was in a complete mental loop. Like someone else mentioned loosing time. I also cannot recall 4 years of my life. All due to depression.

I think that society as a whole needs to work more with those that are physically disadvantaged, and those that are not.

--K

hmmmm
    Originally posted by DeeDesigns
    i do get really peed off with manic depressives and bipolar disorder suffers.
    I really feel like kicking someone of them in the arse, i dont want to listen to how sh*t ur life is when its not that bad otherwise, sometime i am really harsh when it comes to them because when they go on moaning about the situation, when its a black&white solution which they refuse to do, solving one problem at time usually improves the situation. And when they dont take your advice or suggestions its p**ses me off

(sorry for ranting & raving, having studied psychiatry somethings are simple to solve)
    if your refering to my post then, i am not appologising for it sorry, unless you've stood both sides of the fence you never see the full picture.
    I dont think here is the place to dicuss my experiences, history or mediacl records.

The Metamorphic Mutant Mystique_MHz's Avatar
    Oh... My Bad

Originally posted by TianaKaeSha
    I guess I could say quite a lot, or nothing much on this subject. HF, I think when you mentioned mental illness, you should have specified 'Physically noticable' if that is all you wanted to talk about.

My Cousin has down syndrome. I do not have to spend time with her because she is in anther country, but she is the sweetest most adorable person with so much love to give. I really think you feel threatened by the fact that people with physical problems make you feel uncomfortable because you feel as though if you are hugging them and what not you are giving them 'special treatment' that you would otherwise not give them if they were noticable. I used to feel the same until I met my cousin. The unconditional love that she showed me - a total stranger was remarkable.

I also think that mental illnesses should be talked about here if we are talking at all - as they are the most common and the most deadly, and the most un-noticable.

I must say that the person (forgotten name) that went on a ranting rampage about depression really got to me because it is not as if people with bipolar and manic depression want to be like that. it is and illness. Just like getting the flu. They cannot help the symptoms. Believe me when I say this as I have suffered for years of this. It is an uncontrolable and vicious circle that you get wound up in. Whomever said they did not notice their friend was depressed. I was like your friend. I would hide everything from everyone. Make sure I appeared happy. I was in a complete mental loop. Like someone else mentioned loosing time. I also cannot recall 4 years of my life. All due to depression.

I think that society as a whole needs to work more with those that are physically disadvantaged, and those that are not.

--K

thanks for that--one of the better replies i've gotten here. Yes, i do want to talk about mental illnesses as well, but not only that; and that was how it was at first.

Maybe you're right that i feel i'm giving them "special treatment", but yet, i also can't see myself saying as you said, how sweet they are, etc. Maybe it's just that i never actually met any "sweet" mentally ill people, or maybe something's with me, that I can't appreciate their "sweetness".

i just saw "One flew over the cuckoos nest"

Good movie with a few nuts.

In a cavern, in a canyon,
    Excavating for a mine,
    Dwelt a miner, forty-niner
    And his daughter Clementine.
    Oh my darling, Clementine

Originally posted by CNO
    Mentally ill ... who isn't ... to some degree, anyway ?
    Actually, on that note, y'all might find this to be an interesting read if you have some time. It's a little dated, and a little long, but worth reading.

The Geek Syndrome

Autism - and its milder cousin Asperger's syndrome - is surging among the children of Silicon Valley. Are math-and-tech genes to blame?

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9...ergers_pr.html

Interesting article, CNO ... You know, I wonder ... I look around at my tech/graphic/scientist friends and you know what I see? An inordinate # of people who have some sort of 'disorder' and are medicated ... I look around at my variety of other friends who are just ... 'normal' ...

Odd.

I have the same problem hockyfan...

I think it involves me making an extra effort and ending up with a broken train set when I was of but nine years of age. (don't ask)

hmmmm
    well ur lucky ur not trained to pick up on symptoms, or you'll be surprized what you might find

Originally posted by clifgriffin

I think it involves me making an extra effort and ending up with a broken train set when I was of but nine years of age. (don't ask)
    yeah, so you know what I mean then? Like, i just don't feel the same connection towards them as I do to other people. I'm always "pushing" myself to reach out to them, it's not a natural thing.

Originally posted by hockyfan
    Originally posted by clifgriffin

yeah, so you know what I mean then? Like, i just don't feel the same connection towards them as I do to other people. I'm always "pushing" myself to reach out to them, it's not a natural thing.
    I know exactly what you mean. I can't help feeling sorry for them, and then I'm guilty that I have so much and that I'm not doing more to reach them. But the bond just isn't there.

I wouldn't worry about it. Some people can overlook all the things that make them different and just love them. Others have to make an extra effort.

Wow, looks like someone else has the exact same lack of bonding as I do. Glad to hear i'm not alone..

Now i'm wondering, for those who have that connection to these disabled people, what is it that draws you to them? For those who don't, what kinda pushes you away? Is it fear? Do you feel bad for them? Thanks for the mature replies so far

Interesting article, CNO ... You know, I wonder ... I look around at my tech/graphic/scientist friends and you know what I see? An inordinate # of people who have some sort of 'disorder' and are medicated ... I look around at my variety of other friends who are just ... 'normal' ...

Odd.
    Yeah, it almost makes you question what's "normal", and whether we should even be attempting to "correct" certain behavioral traits. Naturally there are certain debilitating conditions which should be treated, but in a society where people couldn't count the number of pills they take in a single day on one hand, have we gone too far?

And one of the reasons I posted that article is so people could see that they might have some of the same afflictions as people who are "different" than them, just milder.

If you think about it, a great many of our great artists thoughout history have had some sort of "mental illness". Perhaps it's that different wiring of the brain that makes people individual, and we should stop trying to tamper with it. Or maybe by learning about it we can control it? I don't have any solutions, just lots of questions.

Originally posted by hockyfan
    Wow, looks like someone else has the exact same lack of bonding as I do. Glad to hear i'm not alone..

Now i'm wondering, for those who have that connection to these disabled people, what is it that draws you to them? For those who don't, what kinda pushes you away? Is it fear? Do you feel bad for them? Thanks for the mature replies so far
    I don't know. What makes it hard for me I think is sub-conscious denial. You know, in my mind I don't want to believe that there are people who don't have all of the opportunities that I've had.