A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: my pixel fonts breakthrough

well hello!!

some of you might have seen how i've been posting questions left and right because i couldn't get my pixel fonts crisp for a looooong time. well i feel very relieved now cause i realized that the trick was not to put mc's within mc's. maybe this was obvious to begin with, but i didnt know this.

so for those of you with the same problem try NOT to use pixel fonts in a movieclip and then putting that mc into another movieclip, instead place the mc containing the pixelfont directly on the main stage.

ok, gotta go reorganize my whole movie now....

Originally posted by uniqh
    try NOT to use pixel fonts in a movieclip and then putting that mc into another movieclip, instead place the mc containing the pixelfont directly on the main stage.
    This can't be true.
    Probably you have only problems when the XY-coordinates of the mc's are not hole numbers.
    Maybe It's better to place all your mc's at x=0.0 and y=0.0

i know it sounds a bit weird and has nothing to do with any of the guidelines regarding pixel fonts. all i'm saying is that it made the difference for me and it's worth a try if someone is going by all the guidelines and still their pixel fonts are blurry.

ok, one thing that does make a difference:
    if there are other elements in the same movieclip as the pixel fonts, those elements should also be placed on whole numbers, otherwise the position of the mc may be determined by elements not on whole pixels... not sure i'm making myself clear...

YES

Originally posted by kemie
    if there are other elements in the same movieclip as the pixel fonts, those elements should also be placed on whole numbers, otherwise the position of the mc may be determined by elements not on whole pixels... not sure i'm making myself clear...
    ..you are right!! you managed to explain it in a more sensible way but that is exactly what it is, and as a newbie to flash and pixel fonts, how would one know that any object, not just the textfield within a mc should be on integer pixels? They should put this point in their oh so famous guidlines to pixel fonts.

Thank you all for your replies!

newayblue.com
    Originally posted by kemie
    ok Kemie you are almost right with what you are saying, but its the object in your movie clip that is the furthest to the top left - as this is the object that will dictate the MCs position on the main stage,

I have tried to explain this a number of times but people dont seem to understand.

if you have a big rectange in your movie clip thats on -10.9 and some pixel font in the middle thats on 15.0 when you put this MC on the stage at .0 in effect your MC is at .9 because thats what the object to the top left of the MC is placed at.

UNDERSTAND PEOPLE??????????!!!!!!!!

flash should have an option to only place (or snap)objects on whole pixels... by any chance is this a feature on MX?

Yep, it is. But it seems tempermental.

I have found the solution to this problem is to place the MC's and objects containing pixel fonts on whole number coordinates. Works like a charm every time.

Pixel fonts

Where do i get these fonts?

Re: Pixel fonts

Originally posted by vern808
    Where do i get these fonts?
    Look at the post right below this one (at least it is right below now). The thread started by THEBIRD.

Flick

pixel fonts

can anyone explain why, in flash mx, when i type in a pixel placement, it will sometimes not ALLOW me to choose a whole number. why?

also, aligning my pixel fonts to grid, not working, even on main stage. I don't get it. none of these pixel fonts have letters in say, 6*8 pixels. what's the deal?

pls help, thx,
    jennifer