dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How should I design this site?

I'm designing a web site for a tattoo shop. On the web site I'm putting the different tattoo artists and when you click on them it needs to take you to a portfolio of their work. For each artist I have 10+ high quality jpeg images. I have the Flash site completely done except for the artist portfolios. If I have all these images in the movie it will take forever to load won't it? What is a good way to display the images? I want to have thumbnails and then click them to get larger. Should I just link to a reg html page instead of having them in the flash movie? I need some good advice here! This is what I have so far...
    http://tones321.com/site.swf

Mike is the only working artist portfolio. I think it looks kinda corny how it opens a new window...

Or else I have this done
    http://www.tones321.com/scene2.swf
    but I think it looks cheesy.

I would use java popup windows that are the exact size of the image. That's my favorite way to do pictures because pictures in a flash movie tend to get too big. If you need examples just say so.
    Mark

I'm pretty rusty on my javascript... what is the best way to open the pop ups to an exact measurement window.open ???
    Lets see the examples you're talking about!
    I think I will use the file names as links and then they will open the pop ups...

www.intensewd.com
    hi,

i run a model agency site with two versions, php and flash.
    i have the same problem, in that i need to display portfolios on each of the models. i'm working on combining php and flashmx to load all the images dynamically. when i've finished it i'll put a post up with an example.fla for you.

alternatively, you might be able to do it with variables in flash. eg:

user clicks on a button to see fred bloggs work, variable 'name' is set to 'fredbloggs' and the images are referenced to {name}/01.jpg etc.

Ben