A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finaly! A design I can live with! PLEASE REVIEW!

Smile

After weeks of different designs, I've finaly have one I like. Please give me all of the criticism you can.

Thank you!

Clifton Griffin Web Development

P.S. This is NOT BLUEDesign! I ditched that--too opressively blue.

HVAC guru
    Outstanding! You may want to force the browser window to open to accomidat the full higth of your stage or shorten the heigth of the stage. Also with the format you set it up, I would have made it more of a blend of HTML and Flash and not a solid Flash site.

As for the look, I like it a lot. Good job.

Thanks! Fixed height issue.

Others, please review! Thanks.
    [Edited by clifgriffin on 04-02-2002 at 11:46 PM]

FK's Official Cricket Eater. ViperGeckoFreak's Avatar
    sorry no complaints from me

great site

very nice...godd eye for design.! The only thing I can think of is some of your text. It is not crisp. Maybe use a pixel font/ check to make sure that the text fields are on whole number values, ie: 55.0 and not 55.4/ Or try making the field type DYNAMIC instead of STATIC.

FLASH just handels text very badly!!

Good work!

-whispers-

Post Few things

Few comments.

1. Colours are excellent; bright and inviting.

2. Text!! As mentioned in the above post, not crisp. Not appealing.

3. Transitions. The transitions between sections are not smooth. Having the section just 'appear' reminds me a lot of <HTML>. With flash, you have the power to create creatively! Make the transitions. At the least, make it fade! That will impress most users.

4. I like the simplicity of the site. Not too complex and busy, and not plain like Basic HTML.

5. Overall, i must say - inviting, appealing, and I will definitely check back to see the page in it's future stages!

Wonderful!

Irfaan
    [Edited by Irfaan.com on 04-03-2002 at 02:20 PM]

Thanks for all of the feedback. I knew I'd get some reminders about the text. This movie was originally for 780x700, if your screen resolution is 1024x768 it changes in to 550x525(?). For the small version, the text is horrible and I can't figure out why. Flash is supposed to scale things better than that. Any suggestions? I will try the exact pixel thing.

<edit>I fixed the text. Alot of it was scaled making it appear dirty. Others please lend a hand... Do the loaders for each sub-section work properly? Can someone with dial-up try? Thanks.</edit>

<edit2>Okay, I've fixed the portfolio text problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get the information from my contact page to an asp page that sends the message. I already have a working html version. I need the movie to send that info to asp page. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can't be this good... I need some more feedback. Others please check...

</edit2>
    [Edited by clifgriffin on 04-03-2002 at 10:52 AM]

I'm not a professional designer. But your site is really eye candy to me. Also I found some text is a little bit blur in the contact list. And I don't know what the point with "85" in the buttom?

your site is very clean designed.

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=289823
    [Edited by udreamer on 04-03-2002 at 12:12 PM]

Originally posted by udreamer
    And I don't know what the point with "85" in the buttom?

That's a temporary counter I set up.

pretty please?

More feedback please... If you review my site I'll review yours. Just leave me a link... Thanks.

very clean...

I liked your site. Very proffesional and clean. As for your fonts it looks okay to me I'm on a 19' monitor and resolution at 1024 x 768 but who am I to say I'm just a bigginer myself.

Keep up the great work.

Aloha - Marc

http://www.iacdesign.com

Re: very clean...

Originally posted by iacdsn
    I liked your site. Very proffesional and clean. As for your fonts it looks okay to me I'm on a 19' monitor and resolution at 1024 x 768 but who am I to say I'm just a bigginer myself.

Keep up the great work.

Aloha - Marc

http://www.iacdesign.com
    Thank you. I just looked at your site. You don't look like a begginer to me.

i think there is a lot of wasted space on that site.

hey

can't get the site to load...

I'll check back later this evening.

visit my thread http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=290861

Gloomycus, please elaborate.

Selah, I just checked it, it worked fine. Try again.

Guys, I need all of the help I can get. Tear into me. Knock me out. Be brutal!

What keeps this page from being professional.

I know there's issues you're being silent about.

RIP ME TA SHREDS!

Post ...

too boxy

personnaly.. i don't like the layout..

instead of having the info appear at the bottom.. try to make it appear in the 'view' area. NOT at the bottom... you want the info in the users first glance.

Irfaan

Re: ...

Originally posted by Irfaan.com
    too boxy

personnaly.. i don't like the layout..

instead of having the info appear at the bottom.. try to make it appear in the 'view' area. NOT at the bottom... you want the info in the users first glance.

Irfaan
    Thank you!

What do you mean by boxy?

What screen resolution do you use?

Where would you recommend putting the information part?

(Others please provide resolution info. Keep in mind that I currently only support 1024x768 or larger. )

I have to agree with whispers about the fonts, especially in the form submission fields. Try typing something in them and you can't see the text. Pixel fonts will work better. Also, regarding the forms, you may want to add some validation code that checks for input and a field that indicates successful submission as well as code that bumps the selection back to the top when tabbing. For kicks I typed in some gibberish text in all the fields and hit submit and I really didn't get a sense of whether my data had been processed.

I do like the whitespace and simplicity. Maybe you could have condensed the design elements into a format that fits a standard browser window without scrolling down. When clicking on links I had to scroll up and down to navigate. Just a little issue but overall it seems cleaner and better designed than many sites that are just crammed with junk with no attention paid to the classic design principles like line, type, shape, contrast, repetition, alignment, etc. These are the elements that lift a site above the ordinary and when people see them well-used in a site they like it without really being able to say why. Anyway, good work and get some pixel fonts.

Oh, here's a site that I did that I think is pretty well-designed and clean. Full-screen was needed due to the size of the photos and thumbnails but overall I think you'll agree that simple and logical is often better. I was pretty happy with this one. Cheers.

http://www.minimldesign.com/john.html

Originally posted by dzlpwr
    I have to agree with whispers about the fonts, especially in the form submission fields. Try typing something in them and you can't see the text. Pixel fonts will work better. Also, regarding the forms, you may want to add some validation code that checks for input and a field that indicates successful submission as well as code that bumps the selection back to the top when tabbing. For kicks I typed in some gibberish text in all the fields and hit submit and I really didn't get a sense of whether my data had been processed.

I do like the whitespace and simplicity. Maybe you could have condensed the design elements into a format that fits a standard browser window without scrolling down. When clicking on links I had to scroll up and down to navigate. Just a little issue but overall it seems cleaner and better designed than many sites that are just crammed with junk with no attention paid to the classic design principles like line, type, shape, contrast, repetition, alignment, etc. These are the elements that lift a site above the ordinary and when people see them well-used in a site they like it without really being able to say why. Anyway, good work and get some pixel fonts.

Oh, here's a site that I did that I think is pretty well-designed and clean. Full-screen was needed due to the size of the photos and thumbnails but overall I think you'll agree that simple and logical is often better. I was pretty happy with this one. Cheers.

http://www.minimldesign.com/john.html
    Thanks! Your site looks great. Love the way each picture scrolls into view. Nice photography!

I assume you have 800x600? As said before, I designed this site for 1024x768 or larger.

What are pixel fonts? I have a feeling that the text looks messy because it is being scaled down. I designed the original swf for 1280x1024. I have it scripted so that it will display right on smaller res.

Thanks again.