A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: need help with gotoframe. not working

ok my problem is i have a button (pictures) which is in a movie clip (menu) that has 2 frame states, opened and minimized, on the main page there is a scrollpane on frame 1 that is scrolling the home page mc, on frame 2 there is a scrollpane that is scrolling the picture page mc. now heres the problem, when i set the pictures button in the menu mc to on press goto and play frame 2, it doesnt go to the 2nd frame that is suposed to be scrolling the pictures page mc,nothing happens at all. anyone able to help me?

Bleh Humbug!
    I don't know much about actionscript but the one thing I did get out of my flash book was you should try and transfer(goto) by using labels. This probably won't help but I have had better luck by using labels.
    Also, is there a stop action in both movies at the beginning? I think these are needed.

i have a stop action in frames 1 and 2 or the main movie, because i only have 2 pages done, also i tried using frame labels and using the goto frame and it was a no go, thanks thogh... any more suggestions?

It sounds as if you aren't quite targetting the correct levels i.e. if teh button is in a MC and you want teh root to do somethign, use:
    _root.gotoAndStop("minimized");

NB, the name of the frame you want to go to has to be in quotes, otherwise you are are effectively telling the movie to go to the value of a variable called minimized which you (probably) haven't set.

If this isn't food for thought, feel free to mail me the fla and I'll have a look

thank you very much mrbrandwood, that worked. i feel dumb now, cus that was really too simple..... haha thanks

also one more thing, how would i add a preloader to preload and show the status of the root page laoding in the scroll plane?