dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: dynamic bulleted lists

I've run into problem trying to generate bulleted lists, here is where I'm at:
    I have all my data contained in custom objects, all data is easily traced with a for loop. The sub-bullets can be stacked (using duplicate movie clip and setting the next bullet to a fixed _y increment) because they are all no longer tha a single line. However, the top-level bullets are varied lengths, all are multiline. I can't seem to be able to find the coordinates where the bottom of the text is with these (only the bottom of the movieclip which has an oversized text field), and the text field must be kept long because otherwise it hides the text entry. Has anyone else encountered this problem? I would be most appreciative of any ideas on how to work this. Thanks

Hack
    it's not a real pretty solution, but as long as the font and font size is fixed, it should work.

You can get the value textfieldname.maxscroll to find out how many lines the text is, and then figure out manually how many pixels each line takes up, and calculate the height of that particular bullet by multiplying those two numbers together.

em

Hack
    Wait a minute -- that won't work either. Sorry. Maxscroll only gives a value if the text is longer than the textfield.

Hmmm, this is a perplexing little problem.

em

Hack
    Yuk. Here's a messy solution.

Make all the textfields single-line. Then calculate the maxscroll for them, and based on that, replace the single line textfield with a multi-line that's just big enough for the number of lines you have.

Then you should be able to get the correct movie dimensions to orient your other bullets.

em

erlenmeyer71, thanks for trying, you've got me thinking outside the box I got stuck in.

edit: I just saw the last post, good stuff. Thanks
    [Edited by dullgrey on 09-27-2000 at 01:45 PM]