A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How is THIS full-screen mode done?

Take a peek.

http://www.egomedia.com

There's no discernable browser--chromeless or otherwise-- and it's not completely full-screen, because the status bar shows.

Anyways, can this be replicated in SWiSH?

Pardon me, I mean the "Taskbar" still shows.

FScommand...FullScreen, True

I's a chromeless window (if you watch closely at the top, you'll see the "Contacting...." bit). They replaced the normal title page with a flash movie, quite nifty and also quite easy to do. The window is sized to stop just above the bar.

Originally posted by AlienInLondon
    I's a chromeless window (if you watch closely at the top, you'll see the "Contacting...." bit). They replaced the normal title page with a flash movie, quite nifty and also quite easy to do. The window is sized to stop just above the bar.
    so how is this done exactly?

Go to http://www.microbians.com and download their chromeless window

Originally posted by SquareGuru
    FScommand...FullScreen, True
    where does this get added? and also what would i do if i wanted to open up a new window at 800x600 that only contained the animation (without the browser menu tabs, navigation icons, address bar etc)

My advice (fwiw) is to rather spend the energy you will spend on setting up fullscreen on designing a site that fits well into a normal browser window and can be viewed easily at 800x600 as well as higher resolutions. That's what all designers who opt for fullscreen eventually does. I just wasted a month on designing a beautiful site in fullscreen, only to realise that most people don't like fullscreen and finding that it is now very difficult to change the size of the movie, as everything else goes haywire when you do.

If you have to have a large viewing area, rather opt for a chromeless window which leaves the taskbar at the bottom open.

Alien,

I thought it might be a chromeless, but I'd never seen one
    that was customized to that extent.

Thanks for the D'Load link from Microbians.

I appreciate your responses.

Alien: yeah thats what i was thinking, i want to have it so that the taskbar is visible, but want the actual window to be like in the link above. in your opinion, do you think making it a tad small (750x580) would be okay?

"Alien: yeah thats what i was thinking, i want to have it so that the taskbar is visible, but want the actual window to be like in the link above. in your opinion, do you think making it a tad small (750x580) would be okay?"

Lots of very professional sites do that and it works well. Personally I like it.

Alien, I hope you have your email notification on...

I have a silly question, I suppose:

How do I accomplish the standard Full-Screen FS mode from a link? I uploaded a Full Screen test to my webserver. I tried the link to the HTML with the SWF embedded, and also to the SWF itself, but couldn't get it to operate in Full Screen. What Gives?

Obviously, I can Test in Player right from SWiSH and it works fine, but not via a link...is there some change in the HTML coding that I need to make to get this to work?

Look at this thread http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=293588
    There are quite a few more on this board - try the advanced search.

If your site is a business site, my advice is to stay away from fullscreen - you'll only end up redoing it anyway.

Alien, thanks.

I tried several advanced searches, but I must have been using the wrong terms, because I didn't find appropriate threads.

I'll be using this full screen mode only for a very specific function, to deliver video swf files and associated text (need more screen space) to high-bandwidth users.

Thanks for the thread link!

I like to grab as much screen space as possible without going full screen, so I use a full screen (less taskbar) popup.

If you like it, just grab the code from the homepage. The code you need is in the popup page.

chromeless

Hi,

I looked at this javascript and it looks very simple: just defining properties for 'chromeless'. However, the egomedia site does not use these properties... the space for the menubar is done there in Flash.

Where can I find info on javascript, so I can understand commands like chromeless, and the association of properties? I mean, for html you could visit the consortium. Is there something like that for javascript? A dictionary like we have for actionscript?

Thx!
    Jennifer

javascript

Nevermind, I think I found it here:

http://developer.netscape.com/docs/m...avascript.html

Maybe it helps someone else.
    J

annoying..

Personally, i find it annoying to view sites fullscreen. Especially business sites. As good as that egomedia site is, it doesnt give you a CHOICE - much like pop-up ads - and that really peeves a lot of people. I usually close those sites out of spite because they havent given me any options.

For e-learning apps, it's great - when you KNOW the user is going to spend many hours on your site. I wouldn't suggest it for .coms though, I agree.
    ; ) jenn

Persoally I don't mind full screen, because that's what I have my browser set to. However, I think Theory7 has a better way of opening a site without using the newbie tactics of full screen.