A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Tables in Flash / Nasty Text

Question

Hi I'm quite new to Flash but I've already picked up quite a bit. I have 2 questions that I can't find the answers to anywhere so hopefully someone will help me out:

1. Is it possible to create tables somehow in Flash of do I have to use millions of text controls? (I'm trying to create a table of links)

2. Why does regular text in Flash look really messy? When I turn it into a text field it looks prefectly normal.

- rich

possible answers to #2

check your textfield properties (right clicking on the text field). your text will look different depending on whether or not you are drawing all the font outlines. also, check under view and see which option is checked (outlines, fast, antialias, and antialias fonts). im still kinda new at this too, but i dont think it has any impact on the movie itself, only how its viewed while editing. remember, flash is vector based, unlike photoshop :-).

------------------
    la'dsasha
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00001097.swf" quality=high WIDTH=250 HEIGHT=60 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

Thanks for your reply. You're right, it's because of the font outlines. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can use text (not text field) without font outlines? This sucks because every time I add a new text field I have to change the properties (not editable, new name, not selectable) and it becomes a bit annoying. I guess there's an improvement for Flash 5!

[This message has been edited by rich315 (edited 25 March 2000).]

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Wink

Just a note, Fonts can look bad if you have the movie quality set to auto high. To make the text look clean at all times change the setting to High.

Second question, Text can be made as just plain text on the stage by changing the atribute of the text. Just click on the abc button on the left vertical tool bar when you have the text tool selected. This will make the text either a field or text on the stage. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000100.swf" quality=high WIDTH=375 HEIGHT=75 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

I do have the movie set to high but the text still doesn't look nearly as clear as without the font outline. Oh well.

I was aware of how to toggle text/textfield but what I meant was that it's not possible to have regular text (as opposed to a text field) without the font outline.

thanks anyway, rich