A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check out the Patch!

This is the first upload of my site. Check it out - what do you think??

http://www.systempatch.co.uk

i'm confused... what's the point of this site?

Smile

Did you read the index page or not? Cause it's all there.

FK Lover

INTERESTING

looks very interesting

you are using only grey colours (black&white) why did you use red for the preloader of the stuff in your portfolio

when you hover over CV the mouse icon doesnt display a hand, and the file is not there

contact button in profile seems not to work

overall nice site

please check out
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=292816

it's obvious alot of programming went into this. unfortunately, it looks like the design got compromised. you sort of go for the windows interface, but don't have color and can't move the icons. the start menu doesn't go away unless you click twice on it. the games were fun though, i'll give you that. i don't mean to be so negative, you obviously have alot of talent. it just looks like something i'd do where i'd compromise the design to get it to do something cool.

known bugs

I have decided to include this list of bugs because theres stuff I know about and plan to change soon.

1. The preloaders are old ones apart from the first one. Will be changed soon.

2. There is no contact page.

3. There is no CV page.

4. You cannot download the stand alone games or the animation yet.

5. External links in download section do not work.

Cheers for the response.

Originally posted by mcpeekj
    you sort of go for the windows interface, but don't have color and can't move the icons. the start menu doesn't go away unless you click twice on it.
    I am currently experimenting with a few things:

1.Being able to change colour scheme in the settings section.
    2.Double click for icons so that you can drag them around.
    3.The start menu thing has been an issue from the start. I plan to expand this menu to include many more options. When I do I'll try to solve it then.

Does any one have any suggestions on how the colour scheme could be changed? I'm usually ok with colour but this design has stumped me a little. My gut tells me to good for bold colours but I'm not sure. I used the black and white to get away from the windows thing (nice pastel shades).

systempatch

Nice work!

I do agree that colour needs to be added for a little more impact, although i do appreciate its simplicity. I am afraid i don't have any answers for you on that front.

Why have you positioned the icons as you have? Perhaps if you can move them it may make more sense, which you say you are working on.

I would like to echo the point of mcpeekj, when saying it looks like a lot of programming went into it! ;')

I looked at and was very interested in multicolouredyawn.....on to something there my friend!

I think it's a very cool and innovative site. Maybe a different color scheme would be a little easier on the eyes though. How about the XP blue color scheme?

Originally posted by choclate vanilla
    Originally posted by mcpeekj
    you sort of go for the windows interface, but don't have color and can't move the icons. the start menu doesn't go away unless you click twice on it.
    I am currently experimenting with a few things:

1.Being able to change colour scheme in the settings section.
    2.Double click for icons so that you can drag them around.
    3.The start menu thing has been an issue from the start. I plan to expand this menu to include many more options. When I do I'll try to solve it then.

Does any one have any suggestions on how the colour scheme could be changed? I'm usually ok with colour but this design has stumped me a little. My gut tells me to good for bold colours but I'm not sure. I used the black and white to get away from the windows thing (nice pastel shades).
    Maybe you could give the user the ability to incorporate colour (just one colour at a time tho)add a colour palette window at the bottom of the page, I would go for jade!
    I do thinks its a bit too flat, maybe your time would be better spent on layout and adding a bit of 3d. Very mechanical and functional site, doesn't make me want to explore it tho. Will check back later, hope this helps

It's gone colour it's the work of the devil.

Well I did it I decided that indeed colour was needed. Check out the link again http://www.systempatch.co.uk for the new improved look.

I tried a few different colours but blue seemed to be the best.

Please keep those suggestions coming.

its so much better now! i think your profile is way too long since you have a cv i can have a look at as well.
    Why dont you put a wallpaper on th desktop now?
    Keep it up

Take a look plz
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=296380

well, the middle finger for the mouse rollover is an interesting choice....

Originally posted by Stellios
    i think your profile is way too long since you have a cv i can have a look at as well.
    Why dont you put a wallpaper on th desktop now?
    The profile is really meant at something different to the cv. It is really my thoughts on the way I work. Sort of like the covering letter in a job application. Maybe 'profile' is a bad choice of description?
    The problem with the wall paper is that because the site scales I will have to include a masssive bitmap to make sure that when a user on a 19inch monitor at 1280x1024 views the site the picture quality is good. This will mean adding a fair amount to the file size.

Originally posted by Topic Review (Newest First)
    mcpeekj

well, the middle finger for the mouse rollover is an interesting choice....
    Did you see it straight away? I was hoping that it was subtle enough it might take a few minutes. Also did you find a cheeky and funny?

i noticed it right away, nice we're all used to the standard hand, one with a variation stood out. as far as the humor of it, i'm not sure. with the rampant rebellious culture on the web, the finger could put you in that category real fast...
    and if you want to have real paying gigs, i'd leave it out of your portfolio

Lightbulb

Fair enough, I take you point.
    Maybe I could change it to the vulcan greeting in star trek?
    Or poss the index and little finger sticking up?
    Or change the cursor into that classic 60's peace sign?

hmmmmm.........

looks cool, the idea of flash os websites is interesting to me, its always fun to see how different people make them.

New feature

I have created a new new feature on the site. It is an explorer like navigation window to go with the os/desktop theme. Tell me what you think.

Cheers

You may want to look at http://www.ikda.co.uk and http://www.requiemforadream.com/ - they may give you some ideas as they are along similar lines to what you are doing.

Hope this helps.

O R O B L R A M
    if your not really gonna add any special intros you should make it like 25 fps or 30 fps it would make the windows drag better...