A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Game not working when exported

I've made a game in 3dfa that works perfectly when played in the program. When I export it, however, the resulting .swf file does not work correctly. Any ideas why not?

Can you be more specific as to what's not working correctly?

-Jason

The game involves a scrolling screen that has obstacles moving at the same rate as the road. You control a motorcycle that jumps over the obstacles. If you reach the end of the movie, a screen appears that gives you the opportunity to restart--a different screen appears when you crash.

There is an intro screen that shows at the beginning. When you click on that while running the show in the program, you go to the beginning of the game.

When the game starts while running in the browser, the jump loop only runs once, and the restart screen starts the game again, but doesn't reset any of the variables, causing you to crash instantly.

I've just opened the .swf file in 3dfa. There are broken links all over the place! How did this happen? There were no broken links in the .movie file.

I don't know about the .swf file, but you'll need to set your varibles at the beginning and then reset them when you restart the movie. In the latest version (3.51)an object in motion will retain its last position when the movie re-starts. This is actually a good feature for some things, though for what you're doing it's obviously not. I would personally like to see a way to switch between, allowing you to either reset an objects position, or leve it where it lands, whichever is needed.

How are you running your "jump loop"? Is it in a choose view, a child movie, or is it between keyframes? It makes a difference.

I can look at your movie file if you like. Just send me an email using the link below.

-Jason

Thanks for your help. I've finally got the game up and running. You can check it out at http://www.palmcroft.com/web.asp?pageID=153. It's our college ministry web site--the game is intended to get students to think about small groups.

loading movie

Originally posted by 4crafts
    Thanks for your help. I've finally got the game up and running. You can check it out at http://www.palmcroft.com/web.asp?pageID=153. It's our college ministry web site--the game is intended to get students to think about small groups.
    You might want to add a small loading movie.

This is Very Nice.

good game! I probably won't play it much though; I'm a lousy bike rider! BTW, you might enjoy checking out the site of the Baptist College where I teach (http://www.nbbc.edu. There's a link to the Camp & Conference center which uses some flash (not mine - I'm still learning!).

Very, very nice...........

-Jason

Thanks for checking the game out. I would have put a loading movie on it, but I haven't registered 3dfa yet.