A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Curved 3D Text?

I've been playing around in Swift 3D a little bit, and I was wondering how I could make text and bend it so it wraps around another object, like a cylinder. I want the text to be wrapped around the cylinder, so as it spins, the text rotates around too. Is there a way to do this in Swift 3D or Illustrator?

You'll have to make each letter a separate object and manually position them around the cylinder.

" Lets Rock ! ....... " NitroCharged's Avatar
    Do you have any other 3D graphics s/w?
    If so, you can achieve a true wrap around effect by using max or equiv' and applying a bend to some extruded text. Then exporting the .3ds file and importing to swift. I ask because you refered to illustrator and I was wondering if that was all you had.

Yeah, all I have at the moment is Swift, Flash, and Illustrator. So you can do this in 3DS Max?

Yes, you can. But this has to be one of the simplest things MAX is capable of.
    If you do as Rush has suggested and position each letter correctly it will be fine. Start with a simple set of objects and get the hang of it, then make your real project. This way the frustration is less of a hinderence

This thread remonds me that it would be really great to have more precise angle control in Swift 3D. Doing things the way that has been suggested (and the way that I did it to convince myself) would be greatly facilitated with some controls to ensure that the letters remain in a plane tangent to the cylinder surface. Just another thought for the next version.

Cheers,

Flick

Moving the pivot of each letter (after ungrouping the text) to the cylinders centre makes things a little easier. Spacing correctly becomes the only hurdle especially if you select the horizontal roll option.

Originally posted by NitroCharged
    Moving the pivot of each letter (after ungrouping the text) to the cylinders centre makes things a little easier.
    Absolutely - I forgot to mention that.

Flick