A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kindred Coding group

Door #1!!!

BTW, if you guys are serious enough, we can register this business. I really don't have the funds right now to carry the whole group. If you are having problems not being contacted, just give me an email at Jman5fk@yahoo.com with all your contact info. TrizKut set up the info forms, but I rarely stay in enough contact with him to get the info all the time. You can also stop by http://kindredcoding.itgo.com/ if your interested.

Thank you

Also, I'm up for advice if anybody would like to drop their 2 cents. This is my first major attempt at doing this. I'm sure there is alot to be learned from people who are experienced in this business.

Originally posted by jman5
    Also, I'm up for advice if anybody would like to drop their 2 cents. This is my first major attempt at doing this. I'm sure there is alot to be learned from people who are experienced in this business.

rule number 1 - don't form a group or collective, it very rarely works out and normally is disbanded after a week or two of waiting for everybody else to decide whats going on.

The Minister of No Crap

Also, I'm up for advice if anybody would like to drop their 2 cents.
    I've got several cents for you. Your mission statement reads:

To start up a formidable design group encomapassing the design of corperate/personal/business webpages using such technologies as Flash, JavaScript, and Java applets. The vision of the company is to have a small network of designers that can work together towards a common goal and/or project.
    Not only is this extremely wordy, but it is very vague. Let me translate it as I see it.

To start up a formidable design group encomapassing the design of corperate/personal/business webpages using such technologies as Flash, JavaScript, and Java applets.
    [Translation]
    To start a group of guys who design various types of webpages.
    [/Translation]

The vision of the company is to have a small network of designers that can work together towards a common goal and/or project.
    [Translation]
    Our vision is to have a group of guys will work on something together.
    [/Translation]

--------------------------------

Now I'm not trying to be mean or anything like that, but it appears that all you did was get an idea of having a group of designers that will work on a project in the future. Now before developing this idea into something tangible, you're promoting it to the world.

Here are the problems that I see:

1. You don't know any of these guys that are joining your "group". You may see them on the Boards or email them, but you haven't met them. And even though they design great sites (or not), that says nothing of their character or what it will be like to work with them. Although this attracts people new to the web business, experienced people run for the hills.

2. You have no clear goal or purpose. You keep saying things like "maybe we'll do a non-profit site". Or "maybe web should get a corporate website". It is very easy to lose any company or "group" with lack of a clear purpose.

Here's what I suggest:

Figure out what you really want to do with a "group", make a clear plan, then start the "group". Think in terms of the future, what do you want to do in the long run, what about money, etc.

Are you having a group just to have a group or is there something that will benefit everyone involved?

That's all 8 of my cents. Do with it what you will.

-scott
    http://www.scottmanning.com/

[razormedia runs for the hills]

Originally posted by RazoRmedia

rule number 1 - don't form a group or collective, it very rarely works out and normally is disbanded after a week or two of waiting for everybody else to decide whats going on.
    Ok, good pointers, but that's kinda what our group is about. Regardless, I see what your saying, and we've gotta
    stick to a single plan. Maybe I'm trying to incorperate too much technology, but, as I see it, I want to keep my horizons open.

Alright guys, I hate to put it like this, but if your serious I need to to show up in the chat room at 6:00pm PST. Leper and I have already made some plans, and we need constructive input from interested members. Please, even if you know nothing about IRC, just swing by http://www.mirc.com/ and pick up a copy of their software. There's not alot to it. Pretty easy to set up.

Kindred Coding Meeting:

6:00pm PST April 16th, 2002 (That's today, lol)

Server: IRC.ELITE-IRC.NET
    Channel: #KindredCoding

Hope to see ya there, were interested in what you have to say.

Re: IRC

There's an open source chat client called GAIM that's the most active project this week on sourceforge.net

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gaim/

Here's their own description of it:

"Gaim is an all-in-one IM client that resembles AIM. Gaim lets you use AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, MSN, IRC, Jabber, Napster, Zephyr, and Gadu-Gadu, all at once. Gaim is NOT endorsed by or affiliated with AOL, Yahoo, MSN or Napster."

Development Status: 5 - Production/Stable
    Environment: Gnome
    Intended Audience: End Users/Desktop
    License: GNU General Public License (GPL)
    Operating System: BSD, Linux, Other
    Programming Language: C
    Topic: AOL Instant Messenger, ICQ, Internet Relay Chat

I haven't used it but it looks promising.

Why's everyone so hard on jman5? I wanted to do much the same thing but have ended up a wage slave because I needed to pay the rent.

<joke>Perhaps his real plan is to set up an online design farm and sit back and cream off the profits...</joke>

Originally posted by Jon Chapman
    Re: IRC

There's an open source chat client called GAIM that's the most active project this week on sourceforge.net

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gaim/

Here's their own description of it:

"Gaim is an all-in-one IM client that resembles AIM. Gaim lets you use AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, MSN, IRC, Jabber, Napster, Zephyr, and Gadu-Gadu, all at once. Gaim is NOT endorsed by or affiliated with AOL, Yahoo, MSN or Napster."

Development Status: 5 - Production/Stable
    Environment: Gnome
    Intended Audience: End Users/Desktop
    License: GNU General Public License (GPL)
    Operating System: BSD, Linux, Other
    Programming Language: C
    Topic: AOL Instant Messenger, ICQ, Internet Relay Chat

I haven't used it but it looks promising.

Why's everyone so hard on jman5? I wanted to do much the same thing but have ended up a wage slave because I needed to pay the rent.

<joke>Perhaps his real plan is to set up an online design farm and sit back and cream off the profits...</joke>

I wouldn't be so lucky, lol