A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 36k takes eons to download!

It is not my intention to spam here. I previously posted this in the 'Flash5 General Help' and got no response. I'm desperate to get some kind of feedback on this problem.

I've built a Flash site for an artists rep. It includes many photos which are all in seperate external swf's loaded into empty MC's on the main timeline. In fact,
    nearly every segment of the site is an external swf loaded by way of a frame action or mouse event (( on (release) loadMovie or on (rollover) loadMovie)).

My client and I had had originally decided to target design agencies, figuring most would have access to some type of broadband web connection. My client has
    now decided it would be a good idea to try and make the site more accessible to 'narrow band' users.

As it turns out, most 56k dial-up veiwers with good solid connections have no problem seeing the entire site, even though it might be a bit slow in loading some
    of the content. This is to be expected. But, in some cases, those veiwers with less than perfect connections, might never see portions of the site. That is, even
    after the usual mouse event, a roll over or click, the browser appears to be loading the content (external swf), but then, apparently and unexplicably fails. All
    activity stops and, even after several minutes, nothing ever appears. It's as if the browser just gives up on loading anything.

Has anyone experienced this and/or know how to insure somethings loads, even if it takes several minutes to do so?

The url is: http://www.jenbutters.com
    If you have time to make a visit, I would greatly appreciate any feedback as some of the people having a problem seeing it are the people paying me for the
    site (the artists).

Just so you know what should be happening, initially, seven thumbnails and names should appear under the thin black horizontal line. Clicking a name should
    load a subsequent set of thumbnails, varying from 5 to 9 small images (except David Chasey, who has 2 sub categories). Rolling over these small images
    should load the final large photo.

I want to add, these large bitmaps range in size from only 12k to 36k, yet (this was just reported to me by a friend) they take eons to download his 56k dial-up.
    Is this normal???

Thanks very much for any help you can give me.
    dixter

the usual
    36kb will a max of 10-15secs - or even less on a 56 k modem

why dont you test your movie in flash - select show streaming on 56k modem and it will give you an idea of loading time

hth

I've done that. It works great with 'show streaming'. Only takes a couple of seconds. I tried a 25k swf on the 14.4 setting. Took about 20 seconds. But, it's not working that way in the real world.

In several instances these 36k swf's take minutes and, in some cases, never load.

I don't get it. I think my client's beginning to think I've done something to cause the problem.

Trickman, thanks for responding. If you're on a 56k and have a minute would you check the site and see what results you get? http://www.jenbutters.com

Thanks,
    dixter

the usual
    maybe its your clients server that is slow - test it on another site - see if there is any difference

why dont u just leave that site the way it is and make a low bandwidth html site that modem users can go to???

That's probably a good idea, though, that's more work for me and no more $. (Wasn't that much $ to start with)

What is it that makes Flash sites inherently slower than html sites?

Thanx,
    dixter

the usual
    nothing makes them slower - it is all to do with download times - html or flash it will still take the same amount of time to download the same amount of kb!

I thought that was the case. Just wanted to hear someone say it.
    Thanks for your time!
    dixter