dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MX is this Macromedia's attempt to make a quick buck???

Banned by GMF
    FKs Banning Machine

Originally posted by dieselfuel
    Always remember:

It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools.

Thats ridiculous. That hardly compares.

New versions of tools are not released. Tools don't have glitches and bugs.

ok ok..

Yes maybe my words are a bit strong. But I agree completely with all the comments here, these people failed us as developers.

Those of you who count on these people's programs to make a living, are subject to losing client accounts over the bugs, and I would likely pass this cost along to macromedia in the form of legal action, were I in that situation. Eg a 15K client project lost because the FX streaming bug rendered your project unworkable etc.

Overall, I'm a big fan of their products, I like flash 5, fireworks, dreamweaver.. but, this latest failure is causing me to question my brand loyalty.

I'll wait for at least 6 months after so-called final release of their products from now on (as I do with microshaft) to see what the Real bugs and fixes, if any, are.

my .02

and yeah, a poor craftsman blames his tools, but an expert craftsman can also blame his tools if they're junk. right?

how would you like to try and use a saw to cut a 2x4 if every 4th blade was missing, and the handle came off etc? welcome to MX - the bugfest continues

Always remember:
    It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools.

Haha jeez, it's called an analogy. The dictionary will explain further.

BUT, the truth is that, well, basically you can not dispute the fact that you MUST have promised these clients streaming media before it was available, otherwise you would have been smart enough to know that you must test something before you can promise it to a client. Hence, you would have tested your own little piece to make absolutely sure it worked, then and only then, you can promise it to a client.

================================================== ==========
    And here-in lies the fact that you and you alone are to blame for promising streaming media to the client and not being able to deliver it.
    ================================================== ==========

Or are you the type of person who hears about a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, then chases it for the rest of your life, only to die a miserable old man?

Oh, and yes, they DO come out with new tools, ever hear of a wrench to socket wrench? then the socket wrench to socket with locking option?

Upgrades baby! I am surprised that working with computers, you are shocked and surprised that something needs to be upgraded. Very strange if you ask me.

Oh, and to add another crack into the mix, computer applications ARE tools used to get a job done. So to be literal, they DO release new tools.

Oh, yet another, tools DO have glitches and bugs, that's why they invent new and better versions of them.
    [Edited by dieselfuel on 04-17-2002 at 04:29 PM]

how would you like to try and use a saw to cut a 2x4 if every 4th blade was missing, and the handle came off etc? welcome to MX - the bugfest continues
    well, to be honest, if we are comparing saws to flash, that would mean that there would HAVE to be an earlier working version of the newer saw, right?

so my option would be to test the new saw before I went into a clients house and tried to build a new deck.

To make the analogy a bit clearer, I would have tested the new Flash to make sure that what I was going to promise to a client actually worked. And if it did not, not only would I NOT promise streaming media in Flash to a client, but I would have been smart and done it the old way with a pop-up and Quicktime or whatever streaming media player I chose to use.

See how easy this stuff is?

It's just the crafstmen blaming their tools instead of taking the initiative to test them before they go in ass first. Plain and simple!

And sorry, maybe in your world professinals can blame their tools, but in the end, it's the blame of the craftsmen, because others are doig it just fine another way.

Listen, just suck it up and say that it is your fault that you did not test those so-called important things that you could possibly lose clients over. Not MM's fault. We all can see it, plain and simple.

=)
    [Edited by dieselfuel on 04-17-2002 at 04:41 PM]

Re: We need a seperate forum

Originally posted by brutfood
    I joined this flashkit site when I discovered the (less-infamous) shared-library bug in Flash MX.

This Flash MX forum serves two completely different purposes, and I think needs to be split into TWO forums.

1. People who need to pick someone elses brain with issues about using Flash MX.

2. Important discussions about bugs in Flash MX and Flash 6 player.

I considered a third forum - people praising Flash MX - but we can't cater for minorities this small can we

To test for the shared-library bug (which shows up in the browser plug-in, not the standalone player) - try this experiment:-

1. Go to http://itools.mac.com

2. Click on the iDisk tab

3. Enter 'brutfood' in the open public folder tab and click the open public folder button.

4. Download the files and try the goto.html.goto.swf, colour.html/colour.swf experiments both in your browser and in your standalone player. (lib.swf is a shared library)

5. Let me know what happens.

Not everyone has the problem, but I have discovered now it happens on both MACS and PCs.

Daniel

Brutfood, you should definitely report these bugs to Macromedia. They might not even know about them. Here is a link to their bug report form: http://www.macromedia.com/support/email/wishform

madskool.wordpress.com brutfood's Avatar
    Wow! - what a lot of discussion while I've been asleep on this side of the world.

I really enjoyed reading your messages. As this morning I see situations with a renewed sense on humour. I have no control of these bugs afterall.

Originally posted by SOLOMONF
    the damn thing crashes when I change panel layout
    ..Yes, I noticed that yesterday on my Powerbook - so not PC specific.

Thank you SOLOMONF for that list of Flash MX issues. Very useful. I think it should be published in a more prominent place on Flash Kit.

Can the powers-that-be make this possible?

Anyone interested in testing for the streaming bug can go to the "Flash MX and Flash 6 player behave differently." thread.

Daniel

class externity extends eternity {
    ... Your ***** and moans here.
    }

madskool.wordpress.com brutfood's Avatar
    Originally posted by brutfood
    Doh!

[Bstreaming bug[/B]
    I mean shared library bug!

...And keep feeding these issues up to Macromedia everyone.