dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: PDF or JPG from Flash

Has anyone ever seen a way to save a JPG or export a PDF from Flash?

I basically creating a flash piece to make templates (a swf that will be posted on a Website). The user can choose a design and enter text, etc. And I was wondering if it is possible to take that now, user customized template and export it to the users desktop.

Any thoughts?

I am wondering the same thing. I have an online brochure in PDF format and the user needs to be able to click a button and download the brochure. I have not experimented with this yet but, plan on doing it soon. If and when I figure this out, I will let you know. Maybe you can let me know your findings too.

I will certianly let you know if I find anything out.

Thanks

Someone in the backend area suggested this. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'm just out the door to a photo shoot.

Try using

on (release) {
    getURL("filename.pdf");
    }

Post your problem is my problem also

Im trying to create an interface to allow user to download files from a site. Until now I didn't find a way using flash. Im not an expert, I think that's posible using java or php or asp or something. Please tell me if you find out.

Originally posted by po3
    Has anyone ever seen a way to save a JPG or export a PDF from Flash?

I basically creating a flash piece to make templates (a swf that will be posted on a Website). The user can choose a design and enter text, etc. And I was wondering if it is possible to take that now, user customized template and export it to the users desktop.

Any thoughts?

Hi,

exporting as jpg.... probably no, printing to jpg (probably yes, with some intermediate steps)
    But why not customize a movie so it shows specific items at specific places. There is a tutorial around that deals with moving objects and remembering their positions on a server, and rather than saving the positions on a server, you could also have the server create a movie that has all the object properties preset. Check the swfaddvars entra at http://www.fontimages.org.uk

downloading file: you can always use the geturl with yourfile.pdf.zip, also there is a bit of serverside magic to force files to download rather than open in a browser window

Musicman

hi po3,

u can do so by selecting publish settings from the file menu.

just remove the tick marks of the default value and click jpg or giff in the option list.

cheers!!!

Re: reply

Cool! Thanks Mate!!

you may want to check out this link - its about how to create a pdf from within Flash

http://broadcast.artificialcolors.com/2003/03/03.html